Muay thai belt system

The belt system:

2739181023_e2f8b65b01.jpg

samart-payakaroon.jpg

Its still very confusing however. Because I'd rather have the skills of the guy with only 3 belts than 5.
Samart ended up with 4 Lumpinee Titles (4 different weight classes) and a WBC World Title in Boxing to go along with it.

But ya, those are the "belts" that matter...

Yes. They started in TKD, watched the Tadashi Sawamura cartoon and copied the moves.

In Australia they have / had a singlet system for Muay Thai via BJC. white, blue, green, etc. It was like an organizational thing, clubs that operated via the BJC org would use it. Just as a ranking / sense of accomplishment sort of thing. Operated pretty much like a karate belt system with grading and shit.

Most fight gyms i know of dont / didn't bother with it. TBH i dont even know if it's still around.

Wait, so does the BJC standardize things over in Perth? Cos I know several MMA gyms that have muay thai gradings here in Sydney and they all use different colours from each other and have different amounts of ranks?

Personally, the only belt I reckon kickboxing/muay thai/boxing should have is a championship belt gained through fights.

honestly i'm not sure mate. It is / was bob jones corp that did it, run alongside zen do kai. But other gyms may have their own standards or whatever, who knows. As you say - the only belts that matter are won through fighting.

that is our thai secret, western students dont know about our camps secret training room that plays cartoons all day.
surround sound in the better camps and with the developmont of 3d we hope to produce far better fighters in the future.
As for the belts I think I am a little on the slow side as im still waiting for my first.

It's ok Payak, I'm only a fuchsia belt and I've been training for like 3 whole weeks!

real MT schools don't have a belt system.

Mcdojo's do.

Wait, so Anderson Silva, Frabricio Werdum, Shogun Rua and Wanderlei Silva train at a McDojo? Shit, someone should tell them... you do it!

If anyone wants a black belt I can sell you one for $500.00 (cash only)

Muay thai does NOT work in belts. I think its a brasilian only thing. No thai people recognize belts

It may not be a traditional Thai thing, but it's not a Brazilian only thing. There's an MT school right up the road from me that also has a ranking system using colored belts. When I dropped by to check it out the instructor was talking about the requirements to get to black belt in his school. Whether or not the place is legit, I dunno, but I don't think that a belt system means anything in that regard.

Honestly, I think belt ranking serves nothing but as an annoyance for people that want to just train.

I don't use them, regardless of what I'm teaching. It's about the skill you possess, not the rank.

Unless you're doing it for kids as a motivator, adults really shouldn't have a need or desire.

Hmm, I dunno about that last part.

I actually like to approach things in a systematic way and have a tangible symbol of my accomplishment. I enjoy working hard on my current belt's material, and then testing, and when I get a new belt I'm proud of it.

It's always been a goal of mine to reach 1st dan in a martial art. In the past I've jumped around schools and styles so much for a variety of reasons that it seems I'm a perpetual white belt. But I'm pretty determined to get there this time around and I'll be proud when I do.

That, of course, is not to disagree with your statement that it's the skills that are really important.

No thanks Ill earn my Muay Thai black belt the hard way, pad work demonstration testing...

I love and respect Rafael cordeiro but the belt concept is nonsense for Muay Thai

I don't mean to go off topic but I can't start a thread. I was wondering if anybody knew the prices of the Fairtex in San Francisco. I just moved here and really want to join. Thank you very much.

I love and respect Rafael cordeiro but the belt concept is nonsense for Muay Thai

I do agree that the idea of belts in MT is weird. It's not like there's kata or a large variety of techniques.

Then again, I have never looked at the requirements for any of these belt systems. If I did, maybe it would make sense.

Hmm, I dunno about that last part.

I actually like to approach things in a systematic way and have a tangible symbol of my accomplishment. I enjoy working hard on my current belt's material, and then testing, and when I get a new belt I'm proud of it.

It's always been a goal of mine to reach 1st dan in a martial art. In the past I've jumped around schools and styles so much for a variety of reasons that it seems I'm a perpetual white belt. But I'm pretty determined to get there this time around and I'll be proud when I do.

That, of course, is not to disagree with your statement that it's the skills that are really important.

I understand that it can serve as a goal...but if that belt is the primary goal than it's sort of like getting a college degree but having a GPA of 2.0. I would rather focus on each course--truly learn the material--and have THAT as my reward for all my time and effort. The paper and the belt are just that....a paper...and a belt. Worse yet the belt doesn't even really hold up your pants!!!!

I understand that it can serve as a goal...but if that belt is the primary goal than it's sort of like getting a college degree but having a GPA of 2.0. I would rather focus on each course--truly learn the material--and have THAT as my reward for all my time and effort. The paper and the belt are just that....a paper...and a belt. Worse yet the belt doesn't even really hold up your pants!!!!

I agree. Especially since I've seen plenty of black belts who only became such because they were able to perform the proper forms and make a show of sparring.

I think the REAL problem is low testing requirements . . . not belts or the desire for belts. I mean, in the American military no one talks shit about the Ranger tab or green beret.

In my case, I know I work hard. I also know that I'm not terrible at what I do. I have seen examples of "terrible" . . . guys or girls who have SHIT technique and who can't fight for shit.

I don't think I'm great, but I know I don't suck, and when I achieve that 1st dan goal it will mean something to me because I'll know what I put into it.

People - this is a rip off!

For a limited time I'm offering a 'Professor of Muay Thai' Certificate from the E-University of Fightology for only $150.00 AUS and I'll throw in a black belt for free.
(PayPal option available).

Back