"Moving up" nonsense...

they could also bill it for 185 pounds MW, all they have to do is weigh over 171 pounds, which they clearly are, even to make 170.9/171.0 they are cutting a few pounds (maybe 5-10 for Nate).

If not RDA, this is one of the most exciting fights for Conor at 170. I'm good with this as a replacement. I like Cowboy but I think Nate has a better chance against Conor so I'm not mad.

Cerrone has better takedowns then Nate and I think either guys jujitsu is good enough to submit Conor.

I guess we'll see when they weigh in. If they both weigh in at 170 even, they both still cut some weight. If they weigh in under (lilke Hendo, Machida, or most heavyweights), then you might have a point.

Connor has not "moved up" to welter weight for this fight. He and Nate have both simply agreed not to cut before fighting. They would have walked into the cage at more or less the same weight next week if they'd been scheduled for 155 from the beginning. The same goes for Nate who most recently fought at 155 as well.

Actual welterweight fighters are in the mid 180s come fight night. Benson was one one of the biggest 55's I'd ever seen (he even missed weight and had to re-cut when we were in Toronto), and members of the media were questioning the sanctioning when he fought Thatch due to the size difference. It's no coincidence he and Rory both rag dolled Nate.

This fight perhaps more than any shows the sad new direction Zuffa is willing to go. Rather than give Cerrone who is known to be in shape the fight, they went with a fighter who said he had no chance at making weight because, "it's the fight fans want to see." odd considering Nate isn't a needle mover.http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/after-saying-nate-diaz-doesnt-move-needle-white-and-manager-clash-on-twitter...

The reaction on these boards is very telling, the attempt to grow the myth of Conor I working.

Catchweight was another option, but according to Damon Martin, Conor asked for it at 170.

I don't think there's any 'myth' involved - it's pretty straight forward - he fights when he's schedueled to and done what he said he would so far. I'm sure you had some sort of skepticism about him when he first came in or don't like how he talks or carries himself. I say that because of how much detail you've gone into what the average WW fighter weighs before he cuts down.

He has moved up two weight classes. He can't weigh more than 171 or he has to give 20% of his purse to Diaz. Who cares what weight it's at or you trying to debunk the 'myth' of Conor or whatever you're whining about.

He was fighting at 145, then he was scheduled for 155, then on 11 days notice he agreed to 170. So uh yeah. He moved up.

Oh please, nate just fought. You really think he's going to get out of shape that fast? If people weren't so dam scared to fight conor, this wouldn't be happening..
The whole point of them fighting at 170 is because Diaz didn't feel like he could cut weight to anything lower than 165, this is what he said. You do know they pretty much gain most their weight back at fight night, right? It's not like they can just re-lose the weight again overnight.

Enough top guys wanted the fight, but they choose Diaz, they weren't that short of fighters wanting the fight actually, excluding a few injuries like Edgar.

It's such a fucking stupid thing to focus on. Technically, this is a WW bout since it's happening at 170. But since it's really just between two LWs who agreed not to cut weight, it's pretty much irrelevant. In any case, I don't know why this is something to focus on. Why does this matter? It doesn't really, it's just a minor detail.

Just go spout your shit elsewhere TS, they simply picked Nate because it's a more sellable fight.
It's just a friendly fight, no title implications on it, I dunno why all the bitches on sherdog are making a fuzz about the picking of the fighters.

Nate is one of the few fighters who does nothing but train. His only income outside of mma comes from teaching bjj and mma at his school.

He also does triathalons and iron mans to stay in crazy shape. Tho it's not the same as a full camp to be in fight shape; he's as in shape as you can be most likely.

I have to say all of this shit has made me realize Conor is really getting a lot of hate. In this particular situation he couldn't win with the non fans. (I am a non fan and will die happy if Diaz wins) he takes the fight whoever it was he was not dropping out. But now he's getting shit because of any reason people can think of. The guy didn't drop out like most fighters would. Give some credit. Yes welterweight fighters typically cut from 190 or more even so this is not really a ww fight I agree. But Conor is working with what he was offered.

I'm not a Diaz fan, and particularly don't like the guys, but as a fan I'll give respect to anyone who step on the cage to replace on short-notice instead of crumbling on the sofa like a cry baby on social networks.

How very wrong you are.

Nate was unable to make 160, said he could make 165. Conor said just do 170.
Nate was hardly going to give up a payday this big if he wasn't cutting weight. They didn't agree not to cut weight. They agreed to weigh in at 170.

How can you be that stupid?

You basically just took the OP, and reworded it to fit your narrative. They're not "moving up" so much as saying "fuck it, let's give our kidneys a break for once." Potāto, potãto.

Back