"Moving up" nonsense...

Cleveland

Sherdog Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Connor has not "moved up" to welter weight for this fight. He and Nate have both simply agreed not to cut before fighting. They would have walked into the cage at more or less the same weight next week if they'd been scheduled for 155 from the beginning. The same goes for Nate who most recently fought at 155 as well.

Actual welterweight fighters are in the mid 180s come fight night. Benson was one one of the biggest 55's I'd ever seen (he even missed weight and had to re-cut when we were in Toronto), and members of the media were questioning the sanctioning when he fought Thatch due to the size difference. It's no coincidence he and Rory both rag dolled Nate.

This fight perhaps more than any shows the sad new direction Zuffa is willing to go. Rather than give Cerrone who is known to be in shape the fight, they went with a fighter who said he had no chance at making weight because, "it's the fight fans want to see." odd considering Nate isn't a needle mover.http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/after-saying-nate-diaz-doesnt-move-needle-white-and-manager-clash-on-twitter...

The reaction on these boards is very telling, the attempt to grow the myth of Conor I working.

*Edit

Seems I'm not the only one curious about the fighter selection:

""And Cowboy offered his services. Why didn’t they go with Cowboy? Cowboy was fresh off a camp. He’s in shape, no injuries. They decide to go with a guy like Nate who can’t even make 155, so how much training has he been doing? I don’t understand why they picked the guy who’s probably not ready for the fight. Why not pick a guy like Cowboy who seems to be ready for it? It sounds fishy to me.""

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/2...sed-at-ufc-says-the-c-in-ufc-stands-for-conor

Last edited:
exactly i said the same thing in another thread.

both are LW.

difference is Conor is full camp and Nate gets to train for a week.

exactly i said the same thing in another thread.

both are LW.

difference is Conor is full camp and Nate gets to train for a week.

Oh please, nate just fought. You really think he's going to get out of shape that fast? If people weren't so dam scared to fight conor, this wouldn't be happening..

The fight is at welterweight though. If Jones and DC agreed not to cut weight is it still a LHW fight?

true.
but I think some of the kudos he's getting is for him being content to keep fighting whoever shows up while opponent after opponent pulls out.

well either way, i think conor is probably somewhere in the 170s and nate could be in the 180s since he was not gonna be able to cut to 155.

This should be obvious to everyone. It also goes to show how ridiculous this weight cutting BS really is. They both know the weight difference at fight night will be the same regardless as to whether or not they cut to 170lbs or 155lbs. That extra 15lbs poses a health risk we don't need. Of course there is no realistic way of making this agreement the norm, since you would always have those guys who would get that 15lb advantage and cut more weight.

He is moving up because he allowed it, he could have kept the fight at 155 if he wanted to be a dick

The fight is at welterweight though. If Jones and DC agreed not to cut weight is it still a LHW fight?
its not a LHW fight but it doenst mean theyre "moving up" or that they deserve more credit for that

Connor has not "moved up" to welter weight for this fight. He and Nate have both simply agreed not to cut before fighting. They would have walked into the cage at more or less the same weight next week if they'd been scheduled for 155 from the beginning. The same goes for Nate who most recently fought at 155 as well.

Actual welterweight fighters are in the mid 180s come fight night. Benson was one one of the biggest 55's I'd ever seen (he even missed weight and had to re-cut when we were in Toronto), and members of the media were questioning the sanctioning when he fought Thatch due to the size difference. It's no coincidence he and Rory both rag dolled Nate.

This fight perhaps more than any shows the sad new direction Zuffa is willing to go. Rather than give Cerrone who is known to be in shape the fight, they went with a fighter who said he had no chance at making weight because, "it's the fight fans want to see." odd considering Nate isn't a needle mover.http://mmajunkie.com/2014/07/after-saying-nate-diaz-doesnt-move-needle-white-and-manager-clash-on-twitter...

The reaction on these boards is very telling, the attempt to grow the myth of Conor I working.

Both fighters will be above 170. They will both likely be 180. McGregor was cutting from 170. He is definitely bigger than his '45 fights.

but the fights at welterweight, so they technically have moved up...... just not permanently

Oh please, nate just fought. You really think he's going to get out of shape that fast? If people weren't so dam scared to fight conor, this wouldn't be happening..
Nate is one of the few fighters who does nothing but train. His only income outside of mma comes from teaching bjj and mma at his school.

He also does triathalons and iron mans to stay in crazy shape. Tho it's not the same as a full camp to be in fight shape; he's as in shape as you can be most likely.

I have to say all of this shit has made me realize Conor is really getting a lot of hate. In this particular situation he couldn't win with the non fans. (I am a non fan and will die happy if Diaz wins) he takes the fight whoever it was he was not dropping out. But now he's getting shit because of any reason people can think of. The guy didn't drop out like most fighters would. Give some credit. Yes welterweight fighters typically cut from 190 or more even so this is not really a ww fight I agree. But Conor is working with what he was offered.

What consitutes moving up then?
moving up a weightclass to fight a legit 170lbs. yeah nate fought before but hes not 170 since a while

what ben henderson did was moving up, what anderson did

How very wrong you are.

Nate was unable to make 160, said he could make 165. Conor said just do 170.
Nate was hardly going to give up a payday this big if he wasn't cutting weight. They didn't agree not to cut weight. They agreed to weigh in at 170.

How can you be that stupid?

moving up a weightclass to fight a legit 170lbs. yeah nate fought before but hes not 170 since a while

what ben henderson did was moving up, what anderson did

Come fight night, Nate is going to weigh the same as some current WWs.

If not RDA, this is one of the most exciting fights for Conor at 170. I'm good with this as a replacement. I like Cowboy but I think Nate has a better chance against Conor so I'm not mad.

McGregor was cutting from 172lbs to make 145. He does look a little bigger now, so he's still going to be cutting weight.

Khabib wasn't scared...but White and Connor were. Khabib knows...

Back