• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movies that were close to fantastic, but ended up pretty bad.

This sounds like every recent Tarantino film.
8988858.gif

Insidious had the makings of a solid horror movie, and then Darth Maul showed up and it got really cheesy.

Babylon AD, started off epic, you think there is going to be some huge show down battle at the end, but it's like the producers ran out of funds or something because it just falls off and ends real weird.

The French version, which was later released elsewhere as a director's cut, was a much better movie than the US theatrical release. Still not an all time great movie, but way better than its 6% rating on Rotten Tomatoes would lead you to believe.

Insidious had the makings of a solid horror movie, and then Darth Maul showed up and it got really cheesy.

The French version, which was later released elsewhere as a director's cut, was a much better movie than the US theatrical release. Still not an all time great movie, but way better than its 6% rating on Rotten Tomatoes would lead you to believe.
Man im so sick of modern horror movies that take place in a fucking house. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oblivion. It had a really cool feel to it. But more should've happened in the movie.

Sunshine was still good. They had to go a "direction" with it, and they went borderline silly horror, and then touch the sun sillyness, but it worked for what it was. Lagged in the middle.

The ending for me is a pretty natural outgrowth of the film, most obviously you see the potential for Pinbacker in Surle across much of what comes before.

The dark knight rises was pretty good, but upon reflection, you realize that it was kind of shitty

Whatever movie is your favorite!

I'll say, Terminator 1 and 2. I had a hard time suspending my belief that a robot from the future would be sent back in time to kill a resistance leaders mother and again to kill the resistance leader. They were good until that one scene, then it was down hill from there, all sorts of continuity errors and of course they all should know that you can't change the past without creating a paradox.

Just kidding, those movies were awesome. But these threads always end up with people mentioning a few great examples and tons more examples of movies they personally weren't fond of that are generally considered great.
Seriously though, Prometheus is the best example of an almost great movie that is universally considered flawed.

Well, I described a situation in an above post that qualifies.
I suppose the writers want us to think he's insane or a sociopath. It's the only two options for the situation of an inventor who seems to knowingly create the situation that destroys his work.
Just too many moments that took me out of the film, "Wait, what? Why would he do that?"

Yea sorry, I failed to read the thread before posting.

I think there are a lot of legitimate criticisms of Ex Machina, but it's hard for me to say it was "pretty bad". The worst I could say is that it's a little slow to do things that are ultimately pretty basic.

In terms of inconsistency, I thought for sure you were going to mention the dancing scene lol. Otherwise Caleb and Nathan's behaviours match their characters pretty well, and besides maybe the speed of the honeypot we get acceptable justifications for why they are the way that they are.

Yea sorry, I failed to read the thread before posting.

I think there are a lot of legitimate criticisms of Ex Machina, but it's hard for me to say it was "pretty bad". The worst I could say is that it's a little slow to do things that are ultimately pretty basic.

In terms of inconsistency, I thought for sure you were going to mention the dancing scene lol. Otherwise Caleb and Nathan's behaviours match their characters pretty well, and besides maybe the speed of the honeypot we get acceptable justifications for why they are the way that they are.
Oh, I still think it was a good film.
Just failed to be great, is all.
Still better and more thought provoking than 95% of movies these days.

Rogue One fits this category pretty well for me. So much potential that didn't need to be bogged down with obligations and expectations like The Force Awakens, but we get stuck with a bunch of stitched together action scenes instead of an engaging narrative. Disappointing.

The Disney CGI re-makes have been pretty bad so far, despite drawing on inspired source material. Frozen could have been so much more than it was too.

Another one that stands out to me is The Place Beyond the Pines, which had such a promising start and then just sank as it went on.

I don't think Split ever had much of a chance at being a fantastic movie.

It's a decent movie that gets elevated to a good movie once you realize what it is.

And then it went to complete dog shit, in my humble opinion.

The dark knight rises was pretty good, but upon reflection, you realize that it was kind of shitty
I felt the movie would have been better if it wasnt a Batman movie and just simply about a vigilante. Batman is cheesy to me

been ages since i saw it so i cant even remember exactly what i didnt like about it, but i do remember being so pumped up immersed into V for Vendetta during the first 1/3 of movie thinking i was about to watch something truly special only to have it end completely underwheleming for me.

I fully dissent on the people mentioning Interstellar and especially the Revenant. Both were great in my book.

As for my entry, I'd nominate Law Abiding Citizen. Fascinating premise, but it falls apart as the film goes on, and the ending is weak.

I felt the movie would have been better if it wasnt a Batman movie and just simply about a vigilante. Batman is cheesy to me
all superhero movies are going to kinda suffer from that. At the end of the day its some dude with a cape and a costume fighting crime,and no one sees any problem with that. No one laughs at it.

Prometheus

Tron: Legacy

The Grey

All these movies were really close to being very good, but they had a few things wrong with the script, tone, or overall production that took them from the brink of very good and knocked them all the way down to pretty bad. Any others?

Robin Hood with Russel Crowe. The original script was one of the hottest properties being shopped around Hollywood. It was a really smart, innovative story about the Sheriff of Nottingham, in the name of truth and justice, having to prove that Robin Hood is actually not guilty of murdering someone he holds up. The scriptwriter studied the history of detection methods in that time period and crafted a riveting thriller where the Sheriff actually has to clear Robin Hood's name using the real forensic techniques the more knowledgeable people in that time would have developed.

Then Ridley Scott got involved....

Robin's father wrote the Magna Carta.

Back