Movie "Reboots" or Remakes

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
By in large, I am not a fan of "reboots." I prefer good sequels (when appropriate). There have been several movie reboots that never should have been made...

Conan the Barbarian
Point Break
Ghostbusters
Roadhouse (pre-production)

But, there are also some good reboots...

Batman Begins
Star Trek (2009)

What is your general stance towards "reboots" or remakes, and is there anything that hasn't been rebooted that you really feel should?

In the case of book or comic adaptations I think there is room for new takes. Batman and Conan from your list for example.

To expand on that a bit, there are also many written stories featuring Batman and Conan, so to keep making Batman and Conan movies is not like making Great Expectations over and over again.

In 30 years, there will be a Fast and Furious reboot.

I think its fine if its not a remake of the same story, they just plan on making a whole series based on a previous series, but cant because the previous actors are too old, star trek for example.

one offs like female ghostbusters or point break dont make sense to me. especially if its almost the exact same story. batman begins was cool because we never saw his whole training thing and ras al ghuul in movies, same with the next 2 in that trilogy. its dumb when its the same as a movie we already saw

i also dont like that we are going to have our 3rd spiderman and 3rd set of fantastic four in in 10 years (spidey 3 and silver surfer were in 2007...)

I think its fine if its not a remake of the same story, they just plan on making a whole series based on a previous series, but cant because the previous actors are too old, star trek for example.

I generally agree with that, but there are exceptions like the 2003 remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. That was leaps and bounds better than the original.

one offs like female ghostbusters or point break dont make sense to me. especially if its almost the exact same story.

Ghostbusters was not supposed to be a one-off, but it will be because it lost so much money. A one-off makes sense to me if it improves on the original. But, it's hard to improve on a movie regarded as a classic. You will have more misses than hits. Point Break didn't improve on the original. It was garbage.

batman begins was cool because we never saw his whole training thing and ras al ghuul in movies, same with the next 2 in that trilogy. its dumb when its the same as a movie we already saw

i also dont like that we are going to have our 3rd spiderman and 3rd set of fantastic four in in 10 years (spidey 3 and silver surfer were in 2007...)

Yeah, I agree that time is another factor. You have to allow the original to become out of date before a remake or reboot seems like a worthy project. It's just a money grab otherwise.

Dredd was probably the best reboot/. Same with the Fly

Dredd was probably the best reboot/. Same with the Fly

I never saw Dredd, but I absolutely agree about the Fly. The Fly with Jeff Goldblum was obviously far superior to the version made in the 1950's. That is an example where they allowed ample time for the original to become outdated.

House on Haunted Hill is another example of that.

Conan can absolutley be redone,and the actor jason momoa can probably do a good job. It was just apparent that 5 mins into that movie that this was a hollywood cash grab,and this was not going to be a good movie. Not his fault though. Right writer,director...could be done. Conan isnt exlusivley schwarzenegger imo,but if you dont have an absolute savage on the level of John Milius,then your gonna have a movie devoid of a soul,and forgettable before its even over.

Ghostbusters,too,is something that can be redone,but the chick flick set it back about another 10,20 yrs from happening.

I think some movies,even if they arent brilliant,were made with good intentions. The guys making The Thing prequel at least respected the material they were working with and made an intense experience,rather than flush the project down the toilet.

Some movie franchises should not be touched,others have alot of potential but the majority of what hollywood is after is just to get enough people in there to make some money,and not on making a film that will remembered in 50 years. Some of these,like the Terminator and probably the Aliens series too,should be laid to rest for a long time if not for good. Prometheus and Covenant ruined the mystery of the Xenomorph,and theres nowhere really to go with Terminator.
Take what was good about these stories and do something new with it.

FFS.

Conan can absolutley be redone,and the actor jason momoa can probably do a good job. It was just apparent that 5 mins into that movie that this was a hollywood cash grab,and this was not going to be a good movie. Not his fault though. Right writer,director...could be done. Conan isnt exlusivley schwarzenegger imo,but if you dont have an absolute savage on the level of John Milius,then your gonna have a movie devoid of a soul,and forgettable before its even over.

Ghostbusters,too,is something that can be redone,but the chick flick set it back about another 10,20 yrs from happening.

I think some movies,even if they arent brilliant,were made with good intentions. The guys making The Thing prequel at least respected the material they were working with and made an intense experience,rather than flush the project down the toilet.

Some movie franchises should not be touched,others have alot of potential but the majority of what hollywood is after is just to get enough people in there to make some money,and not on making a film that will remembered in 50 years. Some of these,like the Terminator and probably the Aliens series too,should be laid to rest for a long time if not for good. Prometheus and Covenant ruined the mystery of the Xenomorph,and theres nowhere really to go with Terminator.
Take what was good about these stories and do something new with it.

FFS.

To big good, a Conan movie needs to be treated seriously. It can't be just some fantasy romp like Conan the Destroyer, Red Sonja or Conan 2011. It needs to be stern, and violent. More along the lines of Troy or Gladiator. That's what Conan the Barbarian had. That's what a proper sequel or reboot would need.

To big good, a Conan movie needs to be treated seriously. It can't be just some fantasy romp like Conan the Destroyer, Red Sonja or Conan 2011. It needs to be stern, and violent. More along the lines of Troy or Gladiator. That's what Conan the Barbarian had. That's what a proper sequel or reboot would need.

Conan was written by John Milius and Oliver Stone.

That's some pretty serious talent.

As long as action movies continue the trend of being PG or even NC 16 rated to "cater" to larger audiences, we won't see any good ones.

I agree with that.

I would rather have seen a sequel hand-off of Ghostbusters, where the old cast is handing the franchise off to a new cast, rather than a straight reboot. Find some truly funny people to fill their shoes instead of what they actually tried to pass off.

Some movie franchises should not be touched.

Like Scarface, for example (even though it was a remake in itself).

Vampire Hunter D bloodlust is an example of a "sequel/reboot" utterly surpassing the original.

I used to hate the idea of a reboot of something beloved. Now I'm like "I don't care. Go for it." If it sucks, it sucks and it didn't change anything about what I loved. And if it ends up being good or even great, all the better.

I'm was fucking over the studios strip mining my childhood for properties that can be re-exploited for another cynical cash grab.
Get some fucking ideas, Hollywood

Back