• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Movie "Reboots" or Remakes

I'm was fucking over the studios strip mining my childhood for properties that can be re-exploited for another cynical cash grab.
Get some fucking ideas, Hollywood

Although I did think the 2009 Star Trek reboot was brilliantly done, the follow up sequels were awful and weak (in that order).

If it's done properly i like it. The remake of Cape Fear is my favorite movie of all time.

I was luke warm on the third one. I thought the second one was awful though. Khan wasn't really Khan.
Big Screen ST has been horribly disappointing. The evens of TOS cast and none of the TNG movies, they were all shit.
It's better now though IMO because there are no expectations to dash.

Dawn of the dead was a decent remake, and I've not seen it myself, but apparently Friday the 13th was a good reboot.

I guess I'm tired of the misfires too.
I don't mind remakes and boots so much if they do something fresh with it and don't fuck it up.

If it's done properly i like it. The remake of Cape Fear is my favorite movie of all time.
Another example of a remake that allowed the original to age to the point that it became obsolete. I agree that that was a fantastic movie.

Big Screen ST has been horribly disappointing. The evens of TOS cast and none of the TNG movies, they were all shit.
It's better now though IMO because there are no expectations to dash.

I liked The Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country, Nemesis, and Star Trek (2009). The rest I can do away with.

I liked The Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country, Nemesis, and Star Trek (2009). The rest I can do away with.
Original cast, 2-4-6. I thought they totally dropped the ball with the TNG films, forgetting story elements established in the series as well as character traits.

I've not seen it myself, but apparently Friday the 13th was a good reboot.

They introduce 5 characters and have cheering for their deaths before the opening credits roll. That movie was a great horror comedy.

They introduce 5 characters and have cheering for their deaths before the opening credits roll. That movie was a great horror comedy.
Good horror IMO has a little tongue in cheek, and the kills have to be clever and fun.

Dawn of the dead was a decent remake, and I've not seen it myself, but apparently Friday the 13th was a good reboot.
I thought it was. I certainly enjoyed it more than anything from the original series.

Spike Lee needs to remake the rest of the vengeance trilogy
giphy.gif

They mostly suck. Except for The Thing.

Last of the Mohicans was a remake, and it was great.

remakes are not the issue, film makers just suck right now.

What is your general stance towards "reboots" or remakes

I am a fan of them as long as they are not done for cash grab reasons and they suck which majority are; I think almost anything can be rebooted with enough time past and a good script/director/cast...etc.

is there anything that hasn't been rebooted that you really feel should?

• The Stand - For obvious reasons
  • Indiana Jones - Indy 4 kind of tainted any reboot for a while but if the timing was right with a new lead and really good director I'd like to see a new trilogy made at some point. Though part of me doesn't want a reboot because once you open the flood gates to that they will end up pumping out Indiana Jones movies like it's nothing.

Back