Movies Movie News and Notes

Full Trailer for THE MENU Starring Ralph Fiennes, Anya Taylor-Joy and Nicholas Hoult

A couple (Anya Taylor-Joy and Nicholas Hoult) travels to a coastal island to eat at an exclusive restaurant where the chef (Ralph Fiennes) has prepared a lavish menu, with some shocking surprises. Cast: Anya Taylor-Joy, Nicholas Hoult, Ralph Fiennes, John Leguizamo, Judith Light, Hong Chau. Opens Nov. 18th.

Looks interesting. I'll prolly give it a watch.

Johnny Depp to Direct Biopic MODIGLIANI with Al Pacino Co-Producing

Johnny-Depp-Pics.jpg

Johnny Depp has lined up his first film directing gig in 25 years, The Hollywood Reporter can reveal. A quarter of a century after he directed both himself and Marlon Brando in 1997’s The Brave, his feature directorial debut, Depp is set to get behind the camera for Modigliani, about Italian artist Amedeo Modigliani, and will co-produce alongside Al Pacino and Barry Navidi.

Based on the play by Dennis McIntyre and adapted for the screen by Jerzy and Mary Kromolowski, the film will tell the story of the painter and sculptor in Paris in 1916. Long considered by himself a critical and commercial failure, Modigliani navigates a turbulent and eventful 48 hours that will become a turning point in his life, ultimately solidifying his reputation as an artistic legend. THR understands that production is set to start in Europe in the spring of 2023, with casting to be revealed shortly.

“The saga of Mr. Modigliani’s life is one that I’m incredibly honored, and truly humbled, to bring to the screen,” said Depp, who produces for IN.2, the European arm of his production company Infinitum Nihil. “It was a life of great hardship, but eventual triumph — a universally human story all viewers can identify with.”

Modigliani marks another European project for Depp as he tries to make a career return following- his recent and bruising defamation trial against ex-wife Amber Heard. The 59-year-old star of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise won a $50 million defamation trial against Heard earlier this year. In an op-ed for the Washington Post in 2018, she described her experiences with domestic abuse and, while not naming Depp, his legal team argued that it implied he was abusive over the course of their relationship, something he fiercely denied. The jury eventually found in his favor and awarded the actor $10 million, while Heard, 36, won one of her countersuit claims and was awarded $2 million. Heard is now set to lodge an appeal and has revamped her legal team ahead of the move.

Alongside the Modigliani biopic, Depp is also playing King Louis XV in French director Maïwenn’s historical love story Jeanne du Barry, which started shooting in late July and is Depp’s first feature in three years.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...irect-modigliani-biopic-al-pacino-1235198846/

Matilda Lutz to Star as RED SONJA; Wallis Day, Robert Sheehan, Michael Bisping Join Cast

Matilda-Lutz-Wallis-Day-and-Robert-Sheehan-Split-Getty-H-2022.jpg

Millennium Media has begun filming on the long-gestating sword and sorcery feature Red Sonja, adapted from the comic book series and starring Matilda Lutz as Red Sonja.

The ensemble cast also includes Wallis Day, Robert Sheehan as Draygan, Michael Bisping as Hawk, Martyn Ford as General Karlak and Eliza Matengu as Amarak. M.J. Bassett will direct the movie after Joey Soloway was initially set to helm the project, and Soloway will get an executive producer credit.

And Hannah John Kamen was to have played the lead role of Red Sonja but has stepped aside due to scheduling conflicts. The film is being produced initially at the Bulgarian Nu Boyana Studio, with additional shoots set for Greece.

Red Sonja is based on the sword and sorcery comic books of the same name by Dynamite Entertainment.

“I’ve wanted to make a Red Sonja movie since I was a teenager — she has been a powerful presence for me and a character that I have always wanted to bring to the screen with my own voice and vision. When I met Matilda Lutz, I knew she had all the magic I was looking for and could see the complexity and depth she would bring to Sonja,” M.J. Bassett said in a statement.

Millennium Media president Jeffrey Greenstein underlined the long travails in getting Red Sonja from script to screen. “M.J. is an amazing filmmaker with fantastic vision and Matilda was absolutely brilliant in Revenge that we knew she was right for this role the moment we saw her — making them the perfect duo for Red Sonja,” he said.

Lutz’s recent projects include Paramount Pictures Zone 414 and Neon’s Revenge. Bassett’s projects include Solomon Kane, starring James Purefoy; Lionsgate’s Endangered Species, Rogue, starring Megan Fox; and episodes of Freeform’s Motherland: Fort Salem.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...onja-matilda-lutz-millenium-movie-1235203961/

@JadeOwl

Matilda Lutz to Star as RED SONJA; Wallis Day, Robert Sheehan, Michael Bisping Join Cast

Matilda-Lutz-Wallis-Day-and-Robert-Sheehan-Split-Getty-H-2022.jpg

Millennium Media has begun filming on the long-gestating sword and sorcery feature Red Sonja, adapted from the comic book series and starring Matilda Lutz as Red Sonja.

The ensemble cast also includes Wallis Day, Robert Sheehan as Draygan, Michael Bisping as Hawk, Martyn Ford as General Karlak and Eliza Matengu as Amarak. M.J. Bassett will direct the movie after Joey Soloway was initially set to helm the project, and Soloway will get an executive producer credit.

And Hannah John Kamen was to have played the lead role of Red Sonja but has stepped aside due to scheduling conflicts. The film is being produced initially at the Bulgarian Nu Boyana Studio, with additional shoots set for Greece.

Red Sonja is based on the sword and sorcery comic books of the same name by Dynamite Entertainment.

“I’ve wanted to make a Red Sonja movie since I was a teenager — she has been a powerful presence for me and a character that I have always wanted to bring to the screen with my own voice and vision. When I met Matilda Lutz, I knew she had all the magic I was looking for and could see the complexity and depth she would bring to Sonja,” M.J. Bassett said in a statement.

Millennium Media president Jeffrey Greenstein underlined the long travails in getting Red Sonja from script to screen. “M.J. is an amazing filmmaker with fantastic vision and Matilda was absolutely brilliant in Revenge that we knew she was right for this role the moment we saw her — making them the perfect duo for Red Sonja,” he said.

Lutz’s recent projects include Paramount Pictures Zone 414 and Neon’s Revenge. Bassett’s projects include Solomon Kane, starring James Purefoy; Lionsgate’s Endangered Species, Rogue, starring Megan Fox; and episodes of Freeform’s Motherland: Fort Salem.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...onja-matilda-lutz-millenium-movie-1235203961/

@JadeOwl

Ha! I was just coming to post this! <45>

I don’t know how I feel about this. I wasn’t aware that Hannah John-Kamen had left the project. This new girl is completely unknown to me, I have no idea if she’ll be good or bad.

With Hannah, at least we had the precedent of Killjoys to show she can play a convincing badass. I don’t remember watching any of the movies this new girl has been in.

Funnily enough, I would’ve probably cast Wallis Day, who is apparently playing the villain, as Red Sonja. She’s taller and more athletic.

Last edited:
Ha! I was just coming to post this! <45>

I don’t know how I feel about this. I wasn’t aware that Hannah John-Kamen had left the project. This new girl is completely unknown to me, I have no idea if she’ll be good or bad.

With Hannah, at least we had the precedent of Killjoys to show she can play a convincing badass. I don’t remember watching any of the movies this new girl has been in.

Funnily enough, I would’ve probably cast Wallis Day, who is apparently playing the villain, as Red Sonja. She’s taller and more athletic.
I've seen Matilda Lutz in Revenge (2017) and she can play a bad-ass. She is just lacking in the chest department when it comes to Red Sonja. And I agree with you, Wallis Day is much more suited for the character.

I've seen Matilda Lutz in Revenge (2017) and she can play a bad-ass. She is just lacking in the chest department when it comes to Red Sonja. And I agree with you, Wallis Day is much more suited for the character.

Hopefully she gets in the same kind of shape Alicia Vikander did for Tomb Raider. That was another case of much better endowed source material.

Francis Lawrence to Direct BIOSHOCK Live-Action Movie for Netflix with Michael Green to Pen the Screenplay

Bioshock.jpg

The Hunger Games director Francis Lawrence is set to direct the live action adaptation of BioShock for Netflix.

Screenwriter Michael Green (Logan, Blade Runner 2049, Death on the Nile) will pen the screenplay that brings the popular video game franchise to the big screen. Netflix is partnering with 2K and Take-Two Interactive to produce BioShock the film.

Developed by Irrational Games and published by 2K, a subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive Software, the BioShock game franchise includes BioShock, BioShock 2 and BioShock Infinite.

Released in 2007 from 2K Games, the first-person shooter game itself was set in a crumbling underwater city named Rapture, its society fragmented in a civil war, with many inhabitants addicted to a genetic enhancement serum that gives them super-human powers while also living in fear of Big Daddies, mutated humans who have been grafted into diving suits. Into this world is dropped the game’s protagonist, Jack, a survivor of a mysterious plane crash in the Atlantic Ocean.

Netflix is banking on a global audience, with the BioShock franchise having sold more than 39 million copies worldwide. The next installment is currently in development by Cloud Chamber.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...ck-francis-lawrence-michael-green-1235206172/

WandaVision Director Matt Shakman Officially in Talks to Helm Marvel Studios' FANTASTIC FOUR Movie

the-fantastic-four-marvel-comics-mcu-ant-man-3.jpg

Matt Shakman, the veteran TV director who ushered Marvel Studios into the age of television, is in early talks to make the jump to MCU features with Fantastic Four, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Shakman became a Marvel favorite with the Emmy-winning WandaVision, the first MCU series released for Disney+. He came up as a director on the comedy It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia before graduating to event storytelling with Game of Thrones. In July 2021, Paramount tapped him to direct the next Star Trek film, which is currently dated for Dec. 22, 2023. It is unclear if he will remain involved.

Other filmmakers who met on the project included Love and Monsters director Michael Matthews and Dog filmmaker Reid Carolin. The two finalists ultimately were Matthews and Shakman, according to sources.

Fantastic Four will kick off Phase 6 of Marvel’s storytelling, with the film due out Nov. 8, 2024. No casting is known, but John Krasinski, who was long fancast in the role, appeared as a version of Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, released in May. However, this was an alternative universe version of the character, meaning it is unknown if he will continue with character.

Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige first announced a Fantastic Four film in December 2020 during a Disney investor day, with Spider-Man director Jon Watts attached to helm. (Watts later announced his departure In April 2022.) Feige has said this will not be an origin story, telling THR at San Diego Comic-Con in July, “A lot of people know this origin story. A lot of people know the basics. How do we take that and bring something that they’ve never seen before?”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...c-four-marvel-director-2024-movie-1235162665/

Official Trailer for THE INFERNAL MACHINE Starring Guy Pearce, Alice Eve

Official Trailer for WINNIE THE POOH: BLOOD AND HONEY

Back