Mother of Ahed Tamimi: Unexpected support for daughter partially the result of form of racism

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Really powerful and on-point commentary by the mother of Ahed Tamimi, who became internet famous after slapping an Israeli soldier who had shot her cousin, and just why Ahed's image seemed to resonate with Western observers to a degree that countless other images had not. In her opinion, it was largely due to the fact that Ahed, like many but not most Palestinians, is particularly light-skinned, light-haired, and similar looking to Western children.

Ahed Tamimi’s mother said that the media attention and worldwide solidarity that her daughter received following her arrest by Israeli occupation forces was rooted in racism.

“Frankly it is probably Ahed’s looks that prompted this worldwide solidarity and that’s racist by the way,” Nariman Tamimi told the Anadolu Agency, “because many Palestinian children are in Ahed’s position but weren’t treated in this way.”

“In fact one journalist wrote in Haaretz once on why they sympathized with Ahed when they were trying to arrest me once; they arrested me and she was crying,” she explained. “It’s because they felt that she looked like them, she said. So perhaps the world showed more solidarity because she looks like their children, but all Palestinian children are Ahed Tamimi.”

“There are thousands of stories that the media needs to pay attention to and highlight all of the occupation’s crimes, because the occupation needs to be seen as the war crime it is and legal measures need to be taken to that effect,” she added.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20180802-tamimis-mother-support-for-ahed-is-based-on-racism/

Well considering literally everything is racist I'm not surprised.

Palestine can go pork itself

Completely disagree...

I think Ahed resonates with a lot of people because we admire courage, we admire bravery, especially when it comes in the form of a young girl who dares to stand up to an IDF soldier.

She is as symbolic as that Chinese civilian standing in front of that Tank in Tiananmen square.

Completely disagree...

I think Ahed resonates with a lot of people because we admire courage, we admire bravery, especially when it comes in the form of a young girl who dares to stand up to an IDF soldier.

She is as symbolic as that Chinese civilian standing in front of that Tank in Tiananmen square.

I"d like to believe that, but people on this site were immediately talking about her looks and her "phenotype" like total fucking weirdos when this story was posted. There are a lot of weird people out there, and this woman is probably more correct than we'd like to admit.

Curly haired freak , suspect she may be borderline ginger too .

I"d like to believe that, but people on this site were immediately talking about her looks and her "phenotype" like total fucking weirdos when this story was posted. There are a lot of weird people out there, and this woman is probably more correct than we'd like to admit.
No, she's the racist/xenophobe.

Maybe I'm a little bit more idealistic (or naive).

I read about Ahed before seeing her photo. And yea, I pictured a poor looking "brown" , darker person.

Seeing her photo didnt change my opinion of her. Either way, I thought/think Ahed is courageous....more so than 98% of this forum.

Then again, I'm a sucker for the underdogs in life.

Isn't the girl a ginger?
You would think she would be on the side of her soulless brothers and not the Palestinians.

Maybe I'm a little bit more idealistic (or naive).

I read about Ahed before seeing her photo. And yea, I pictured a poor looking "brown" , darker person.

Seeing her photo didnt change my opinion of her. Either way, I thought/think Ahed is courageous....more so than 98% of this forum.

Then again, I'm a sucker for the underdogs in life.

Lots of people probably feel the same way, me being one of them. But what this woman is saying is that these stories happen all the time involving other Palestinians, and none of them ever catch on with the media. What makes this one different? For her, it's pretty easy to recognize the main difference is that the girl has light features this time. There are a lot of people who have a hard time empathizing with people who look different than them, I'm sure you notice it all the time on here.

No, she's the racist/xenophobe.

What?

Completely disagree...

I really want to agree with your statement but....there's just SO much evidence weighing against it, across a wide range of issues. There have been hundreds, maybe even thousands, of Palestinian children who have done and experienced similar things.

Also, it should be noted (and I might amend the OP to reflect) that this isn't necessarily an insidious phenomenon or one that white Westerners should take as a slight against them. It's natural to empathize more with a person who looks more like you or more like your children. I think that, pretty chronically, one of the main problems with discussion over racism is that some people instantly recoil and think "I'm not a racist!!!" and kind of end their thinking there.

Well considering literally everything is racist I'm not surprised.

I thought about putting "before someone says well everything is racist" in the OP, but I knew someone stupid would lend a hand.

Shes entitled to her opinion even if its a shitty one
What she said is true. Not just Ahed, but journalists do tend to pick out kids in war zones,, from Syria to Burma, who tend to look the most Eurassian when they sympathize with the plight of groups.

Isn't the girl a ginger?
You would think she would be on the side of her soulless brothers and not the Palestinians.

She knows mortal weapons can not harm a daywalker , it puts her stand into perspective .

Really powerful and on-point commentary by the mother of Ahed Tamimi, who became internet famous after slapping an Israeli soldier who had shot her cousin, and just why Ahed's image seemed to resonate with Western observers to a degree that countless other images had not. In her opinion, it was largely due to the fact that Ahed, like many but not most Palestinians, is particularly light-skinned, light-haired, and similar looking to Western children.

Ahed Tamimi’s mother said that the media attention and worldwide solidarity that her daughter received following her arrest by Israeli occupation forces was rooted in racism.

“Frankly it is probably Ahed’s looks that prompted this worldwide solidarity and that’s racist by the way,” Nariman Tamimi told the Anadolu Agency, “because many Palestinian children are in Ahed’s position but weren’t treated in this way.”

“In fact one journalist wrote in Haaretz once on why they sympathized with Ahed when they were trying to arrest me once; they arrested me and she was crying,” she explained. “It’s because they felt that she looked like them, she said. So perhaps the world showed more solidarity because she looks like their children, but all Palestinian children are Ahed Tamimi.”

“There are thousands of stories that the media needs to pay attention to and highlight all of the occupation’s crimes, because the occupation needs to be seen as the war crime it is and legal measures need to be taken to that effect,” she added.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20180802-tamimis-mother-support-for-ahed-is-based-on-racism/

<Fedor23>

I first heard about her in the WR. I thought jailing her for several years was a gross over reaction. Her appearance didn't make any impact on me, and certainly wasn't a factor in my view on the incident.

The mother comes across as a whiny bitch. Just be grateful people supported your daughter, whatever their reasons.

She's right. I was gonna say "unfortunate, but true," but it's not even really unfortunate. As said above, average people are better able to identify with people who look like them. Politics, marketing, activism, etc rely on this principle. It's an important element in crafting a narrative.

<Fedor23>

I first heard about her in the WR. I thought jailing her for several years was a gross over reaction. Her appearance didn't make any impact on me, and certainly wasn't a factor in my view on the incident.

The mother comes across as a whiny bitch. Just be grateful people supported your daughter, whatever their reasons.

Do you also think commercials don't work? Logos have no effect? Why do companies spend millions of dollars on design if aesthetics are lost on us?

Back