Most Underrated UFC Fighters of all time

I'll go with Mike Pierce, not the most exciting fighter in the world but this dude gave everyone a tough fight. Ran Hendricks and Koscheck extremely close in two split decisions you can make arguments that he won and also won a round against prime Jon Fitch.

Another great pic.

Somehow GSP is now underrated. I read everyday he’s not amongst the GOATS.

Since he is still the top on sherdogs GOAT poll and near the top on every other poll anywhere, I'd say you are wrong. Don't let a vocal minority of idiots fool you. Even they know GSP is among the GOATs, they just have personal issues and want to convince people of something even they don't believe

James Krause.
I don't think I ever saw a thread about him in these forums, but the guy is skilled as fuck and should be way more popular between the fans.

Last card he was supposed to corner a teammate and ended up fighting on hours notice at middleweight.

Lil Nog, dude could have been the #1 LHW in the world in his prime. I think he doesnt get as much love as he should because of coming to the UFC so late in his career.

Chael just made a video about this, and I thought I would chip in my two cents, offering four names that often get overlooked.

1) Josh Thomson: Victim of bad decisions, and awful luck. Was on the verge of beating Yves before eating a flying head kick, and was arguably robbed against Bendo. Had top tier wins against JZ, Melendez, Noons, Ludwig, Nate, Franca, Healy. Excellent wrestler, very durable, great stamina, respectable striking, and could have easily been champion. In fact he should have been.

gufdts0yrxqgqvawstwv

2) Joseph Benavidez - Another case of a championship level fighter who never quite got the gold, but whose record and abilities speak for themselves. He is extremely well rounded, is dynamic, durable, tough as almighty Hell, and could have very easily been champion had MM not been around. His record is very impressive when you look at it closely. Great jitz, kicks, wrestling, stamina, power... the works.

pkxz2vhac8occopmz5i4

3) Jake Shields - Sort of an obvious pick. But it is amazing how much Shields is underrated these days. He was the Strikeforce Middleweight champion, was on a 15 fight winning streak when he fought St Pierre for the title, with wins over the likes of: Kampmann, Okami, Dan Henderson, Pyle, Charuto, Mayhem, Daley, Lawler, Condit, and would later amass wins against Maia, Woodley and Akiyama. He also beat Sakurai earlier on. One of the best grapplers in the sport.

shields-1.jpg

4) Dennis Bermudez - The most controversial entry, for sure. I think the sport is not only about ability, but really there is a huge component of luck. Dennis was the whole package: extremely well rounded, great explosive wrestling, beautiful kicks, great cardio, great chin, and a total warrior. Stephens and others mentioned he ruined everyone in the gym... but he was victim to a bunch of bad decisions in a row (Elkins, Fili, Glenn...) and never quite got to show how good he was against the top of the lot. Yet he beat a (admittedly green) Holloway and in my estimation had he skills to compete with anyone in the sport. Hugely underrated.

ufc189_09_stephens_vs_bermudez_002.jpg

Honorable mentions go to Grey Maynard and Tyson Griffin.
I only agreed with Grey Maynard, he scratched the gold at some moment.

I would say Edson Barboza. I really thought that he would be LW champ.

Honorable mention to Rory Macdonald.

I'd say pretty much everyone that was a top contender and then stayed around too long when old and got their ass kicked over and over again.

Gray Maynard, Koshcheck, BJ, Ken Shamrock, Bob Sapp (serious), Chuck, Miguel Torres, Fedor, Bigfoot Silva etc.

Most of those guys were crazy athletic and had 9/10 athleticism with a 7/10 skillset. When their body went to a 5/10 and their skillset stayed the same, of course they ended up getting starched. But they were forces to be reckoned with at one point in time.

Even a guy like Phil Baroni is now considered a joke and he was never well rounded or had cardio, but at his peak he had crazy power and you'd be an idiot to take him lightly.

Tyron Woodley would've been champ if GSP didn't duck him.

Maurice Smith, former Champion. One of the first kickboxers to actually make it work in the cage and brutalized grapplers by chopping the legs down.

Gray Maynard
He was the most dominant LW for a while (10-0-1) and could have gave prime BJ a run for his money. He never recovered from his third war with Frankie Edgar. I remember when an undefeated Roger Huerta mentioned he wanted to leave the UFC, he was punished by Dana by having to face Maynard. That shows how much confidence Dana had in Maynard.
Sadly, he has a crystal jaw now.

A lot of good ones ITT

On a quick glance through, I didn't see Frank Shamrock mentioned. He doesn't get enough credit for how good he was around the time he fought Tito IMO.

Gray Maynard
He was the most dominant LW for a while (10-0-1) and could have gave prime BJ a run for his money. He never recovered from his third war with Frankie Edgar. I remember when an undefeated Roger Huerta mentioned he wanted to leave the UFC, he was punished by Dana by having to face Maynard. That shows how much confidence Dana had in Maynard.
Sadly, he has a crystal jaw now.

I think BJ is about as bad a stylistic matchup as you could've possibly found for Gray and BJ would've absolutely demolished him. Other than that, yeah I agree. Gray was a beast for a couple years.

That Connor McGregor guy seems pretty legit, I would like to see more threads about him.

The Struve that beat Miocic - Everybody shits on Miocic for that loss but Struve was fighting at a high level, he was never champion level but he wasn't always super low level like everybody likes to preach

Roy Nelson - The guy had some rough losses but he was a skilled fighter who in his prime beat anybody who wasn't elite. Kongo, Meathead and Herman (at the time) were impressive wins are showed he wasn't always a low IQ striker but he'd calculate and set the right hand up properly.

Clay Guida - Never champion level but he was a high level fighter and he never gets the respect or credit he deserves holding wins over Pettis, RDA, Josh Thomson, Diaz, Hioki (was impressive at the time)

Ben Henderson - The guy was a tank and beast in his prime and isn't mentioned at all. I hated him during his run in the UFC he may have been boring but he was certainly a top LW. His only 2 legit losses came to a confident Pettis and Prime RDA (the Cerrone decision was complete BS)

Michael Johnson - People love to shit on MJ but he was a beast in his short prime.

Dustin Poirier at FW was underrated - He was super hittable but he was skilled and only lost to Swanson, KZ, and Mcgregor (all 3 were top 5 level talents at the time of the fights). People act like he was going 50/50 but he was a top dog there.

Evan Dunham and it's not even close. Never gets mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back