Most Underrated UFC Fighters of all time

Igor Vovchanchyn

Those who know about Igor consider him an all-time great, but a lot of people don't know about him.

edit: ok, UFC fighters. whatever !

Honestly, Tony Ferguson. I think he is one of the best to ever do it, but his name is just used for (mostly) stale jokes on Sherdog.

Jarl

cm-punk-ufc-225-1.jpg

Thiago Silva, this guy was always underrated I feel, he was super violent, but he was actually very skilled too, he had very slick hands and great kicks too and his TDD was very good. He threw a lot of heat.

He did well in UFC and had lots of nasty finishes, but sadly he was a bit mental and had a lot of problems and his career went down the toilet. I read lots of reports that in real life he was so intense and if you stared at him for a second too long it was on. He was a massive meathead.. which is a shame because I actually think he had a lot of skill and it would have been EPIC to see him fight someone like Rumble and other big hitters in LHW
Thiago is awesome but he was kind of chinny. Even in the indy orgs hes been knocked out

Chael just made a video about this, and I thought I would chip in my two cents, offering four names that often get overlooked.

1) Josh Thomson: Victim of bad decisions, and awful luck. Was on the verge of beating Yves before eating a flying head kick, and was arguably robbed against Bendo. Had top tier wins against JZ, Melendez, Noons, Ludwig, Nate, Franca, Healy. Excellent wrestler, very durable, great stamina, respectable striking, and could have easily been champion. In fact he should have been.

gufdts0yrxqgqvawstwv

2) Joseph Benavidez - Another case of a championship level fighter who never quite got the gold, but whose record and abilities speak for themselves. He is extremely well rounded, is dynamic, durable, tough as almighty Hell, and could have very easily been champion had MM not been around. His record is very impressive when you look at it closely. Great jitz, kicks, wrestling, stamina, power... the works.

pkxz2vhac8occopmz5i4

3) Jake Shields - Sort of an obvious pick. But it is amazing how much Shields is underrated these days. He was the Strikeforce Middleweight champion, was on a 15 fight winning streak when he fought St Pierre for the title, with wins over the likes of: Kampmann, Okami, Dan Henderson, Pyle, Charuto, Mayhem, Daley, Lawler, Condit, and would later amass wins against Maia, Woodley and Akiyama. He also beat Sakurai earlier on. One of the best grapplers in the sport.

shields-1.jpg

4) Dennis Bermudez - The most controversial entry, for sure. I think the sport is not only about ability, but really there is a huge component of luck. Dennis was the whole package: extremely well rounded, great explosive wrestling, beautiful kicks, great cardio, great chin, and a total warrior. Stephens and others mentioned he ruined everyone in the gym... but he was victim to a bunch of bad decisions in a row (Elkins, Fili, Glenn...) and never quite got to show how good he was against the top of the lot. Yet he beat a (admittedly green) Holloway and in my estimation had he skills to compete with anyone in the sport. Hugely underrated.

ufc189_09_stephens_vs_bermudez_002.jpg

Honorable mentions go to Grey Maynard and Tyson Griffin.
Def Shields. Top 3 WW all time imo

Rani Yahya - Has some legit wins and has numerous submission wins of every kind from heel hooks , kimuras , arm traingles , rear naked chokes , north souths and more. Has decent striking and pretty good wrestling so once he takes you to the ground you know some amazing stuff is gonna happen.

DHK - Very strong grappler due to his judo and wrestling . Had some pretty decent striking and was developing some power late into his UFC career with wins over Silva and Hathaway . Has some legit wins over Diaz , Saffiedine , Grant , and Brown plus never heard anything official about a retirement.

Rich Franklin - A guy most have forgotten about and most only remember for the 2 losses to Silva. The guy was ahead of his time with his training and pretty imspirational not having come from an athletic or combat background. Just a teacher who tried out mma and became UFC champion with wins over guys like Liddell , Wanderlei x2 , Okami , Tanner x2 , and Shamrock.

Rani Yahya - Has some legit wins and has numerous submission wins of every kind from heel hooks , kimuras , arm traingles , rear naked chokes , north souths and more. Has decent striking and pretty good wrestling so once he takes you to the ground you know some amazing stuff is gonna happen.

DHK - Very strong grappler due to his judo and wrestling . Had some pretty decent striking and was developing some power late into his UFC career with wins over Silva and Hathaway . Has some legit wins over Diaz , Saffiedine , Grant , and Brown plus never heard anything official about a retirement.

Rich Franklin - A guy most have forgotten about and most only remember for the 2 losses to Silva. The guy was ahead of his time with his training and pretty imspirational not having come from an athletic or combat background. Just a teacher who tried out mma and became UFC champion with wins over guys like Liddell , Wanderlei x2 , Okami , Tanner x2 , and Shamrock.

Franklin is a great pick. Sherk is another. Two forgotten champions, and good ones at that.

Franklin is a great pick. Sherk is another. Two forgotten champions, and good ones at that.

Damn I forgot about Sherk , great wrestler and fighter. Also gotta add another forgotten one in Pulver.

You had to use that word.

I mean fucking legit. I mean he was 9-1 before Rashad. Almost undefeated if it weren't for a lame ass submission call against David Heath. Salmon had that fight in the bag. Then all the KO/TKO/Submission losses were stopped way before they should have been. He'd be like 31-8 if it weren't for all the bs stoppages.

And the Rashad head kick was a questionable KO too. I thought Rashad broke his leg and the ref got the call wrong.

Wes Sims. Smashed Frank Mir before smashing Frank Mir became popular

I'll catch some pushback, but Lesnar was underrated. The guy was legit and dangerous when healthy - gets zero props.
Sherdog hated him before he even had his first fight because they were upset some WWE fake wrassler guy wanted to come in and besmirch their sacred sport. They all said he would get hit one time, realize it wasn't fake stuff anymore and run back to the WWE. He did go back to the WWE but not before smashing some of their heroes, winning the belt, and not really looking bad until after he had a debilitating illness that required major surgeries. Salty cry babies will still find whatever reasons to try to discredit him. Yeah he was an obvious juicer but let's see, Mir, Carwin, Couture, Overeem....all clean as a whistle right?

Back