Most talented fighters ever.

What really elevates Finito is that he used his perfect skills to really fight and not be a boxer who uses his skills to avoid a fight like Floyd in quite some fights. Much more difficult and risky to really go for the kill and he still did not get caught

I do place him at the uppmost echelon of boxers.
He had the skill to be a billionaire...i think his divisions make people overlook him.

If he was a lightweight he'd be mentioned by casuals in the same breath as people like Duran and those guys. He was a superior talent to most of the guys people list and i do think it's only due to his size

He got caught by rosendo Alvarez is why they did that fight twice.
I meant as in ko`d . Didnt happen as far as I know.

But loosing imo doesnt take anything away from great champs. It shows they had the balls to face the best. That Lopez was still able to win all these fights is just crazy. I wonder which mexican boxer could be placed above him. Should be difficult.

F.e. I place ODLH higher than Floyd despite his losses. Imo prime ODLH vs. Floyd is a dominant win for Oscar.

F.e. I place ODLH higher than Floyd despite his losses. Imo prime ODLH vs. Floyd is a dominant win for Oscar.

Favoring what could have happened over what did happen when it comes to ranking boxers is kind of weird, though.

I meant as in ko`d . Didnt happen as far as I know.

But loosing imo doesnt take anything away from great champs. It shows they had the balls to face the best. That Lopez was still able to win all these fights is just crazy. I wonder which mexican boxer could be placed above him. Should be difficult.

Not to be too contrarian as I am a big fan of Lopez as well.
Bu his seems to be flawed logic. Floyd was quite aggressive hen he was younger and in the lighter weight classes. When he moved up is when he had to try playing a different game. Because Lopez never challenged himself that way we don’t know if he also would have become a more defensive fighter or even been as successful as he was at 105.

If you are shitting on Floyd trying to say more attention should be paid on other champs by casuals, then yea I agree with you but I don’t think you need to shit on Floyd to do that.

As far as Mexican champs to be placed above Lopez there are plenty, if we are asking purely on skill that is a different discussion but I agree with Sanchez.

I'm pretty sure no has mentioned Aaron Pryor yet.

He had great hand speed

blazing foot speed

2 fisted good power

creative offense/good rhythm

undderated defense and jab (he gave an older arguello fits in finding him to initate his attack)

unholy stamina (this one is questionable due to black bottle scandal)

granite chin

The late great.

400px-Sanchez_floors_Gomez.jpg

I'm pretty sure no has mentioned Aaron Pryor yet.

He had great hand speed

blazing foot speed

2 fisted good power

creative offense/good rhythm

undderated defense and jab (he gave an older arguello fits in finding him to initate his attack)

unholy stamina (this one is questionable due to black bottle scandal)

granite chin

Pryor had one speed. Kick your ass.

I met him more than once, exchanged e-mails with him for a period of time. Buddy LaRosa (pizza king in these parts) was a big boxing supporter, he's the grey-haired guy saying he's spit in your eye or whatever, he took care of Aaron late in life. Kept him in an efficiency, paid him to talk to/work with kids, that kind of stuff. He was flat broke, sad. My father said he was on his route (truck driver) delivering whiskey to the state stores and restaurants and saw him more than once handing out $50 and $100 bills to the people in the hood. At that time, $100 would be like $1000, now. A sad story after boxing. Addiction and such. What a fighter, though.

Last edited:

I met him more than once, exchanged e-mails with him for a period of time. Buddy LaRosa (pizza king in these parts) was a big boxing supporter, he's the grey-haired guy saying he's spit in your eye or whatever, he took care of Aaron late in life. Kept him in an efficiency, paid him to talk to/work with kids, that kind of stuff. He was flat broke, sad. My father said he was on his route (truck driver) delivering whiskey to the state stores and restaurants and saw him more than once handing out $50 and $100 bills to the people in the hood. At that time, $100 would be like $1000, now. A sad story after boxing. Addiction and such. What a fighter, though.

Interesting to hear about Pryor's life afterwards, unforunately most fighters end up broke. Back to boxing in the first Arguello fight he switched gears in the middle rounds and was definitely outboxing,outmaneuvering. and outjabbing for a few rounds Arguello , but I get your point about one speed Pryor sure was an all action fighter.

ya, i've heard a variety of things about pryor, i read an SI article and was moved to tears, i then emailed him, he didn't answer but his wife did and told me SI was full of shit. I hope so because it was a sad article saying that aaron would fight in the streets for coins after he retired. Buddy Larosa and He had a rocky relationship when aaron was fighting, overall, larosa must be kind of a good guy even if, I'm saying if, he ripped off pryor. I used to hate pryor for beating arguello but unlike a lot of fighters I hated because they beat a hero, i really grew to appreciate him, along with hank armstrong and manny pacquiao, they are the cream of the crop as far as stamina/volume punchers.

ya, i've heard a variety of things about pryor, i read an SI article and was moved to tears, i then emailed him, he didn't answer but his wife did and told me SI was full of shit. I hope so because it was a sad article saying that aaron would fight in the streets for coins after he retired. Buddy Larosa and He had a rocky relationship when aaron was fighting, overall, larosa must be kind of a good guy even if, I'm saying if, he ripped off pryor. I used to hate pryor for beating arguello but unlike a lot of fighters I hated because they beat a hero, i really grew to appreciate him, along with hank armstrong and manny pacquiao, they are the cream of the crop as far as stamina/volume punchers.

I doubt LaRosa ripped him off in any way, TBH. Probably more the other way around if anything. I've heard he's a pretty good guy. Like I say, I think he supported him for the last many years of his life, basically. Always found jobs for him training young boxers when he was sober, kept him housed and with a bit of cash in his pocket. He would have been homeless on the street (and was at times due to addiction) without Buddy so I'd find it hard to imagine him stealing from him. Plus, as mentioned he's absolutely loaded. LaRosa's was then/is now a big deal with a lot of locations. 75 or 80 in about 5 states now, I think. Thereabouts. I can't remember the SI story off the top of my head.

Buddy supported the boys club, golden gloves, all kinds of boxing and was instrumental in bringing back a lot of big-time bouts back here after we had seen so few for a long time. A true friend of boxing. I'm hoping he sets up some kind of boxing annuity or something to hang around Cincinnati and benefit boxing when he's gone. I'd almost be a little surprised if he didn't. Hell, he may have already. And he's done a LOT, already.
https://cincinnatiboxing.org/staff.php
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sp...y-larosa-remember-boxer-aaron-pryor/91847568/
https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Products/9780738541129
https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...oom-boxing-contenders/wU4N1LawjDNYWii3YKkKMO/
https://www.wvxu.org/term/buddy-larosa
https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/recre...archive-completed-projects/otr-boxing-center/

Last edited:
Interesting to hear about Pryor's life afterwards, unforunately most fighters end up broke. Back to boxing in the first Arguello fight he switched gears in the middle rounds and was definitely outboxing,outmaneuvering. and outjabbing for a few rounds Arguello , but I get your point about one speed Pryor sure was an all action fighter.
I doubt LaRosa ripped him off in any way, TBH. Probably more the other way around if anything. I've heard he's a pretty good guy. Like I say, I think he supported him for the last many years of his life, basically. Always found jobs for him training young boxers when he was sober, kept him housed and with a bit of cash in his pocket. He would have been homeless on the street (and was at times due to addiction) without Buddy so I'd find it hard to imagine him stealing from him. Plus, as mentioned he's absolutely loaded. LaRosa's was then/is now a big deal with a lot of locations. 75 or 80 in about 5 states now, I think. Thereabouts. I can't remember the SI story off the top of my head.
i wouldn't know, it's common for fighters to think someone is ripping them off when they're not and it's also common for them to get ripped off. Brendan Ingle lost control of Naseem because people were telling naz that 25 percent was ridiculous for brendon to be taking, but i think that's fair for someone who is training, managing a guy. what is the normal pay for something like that? probably even higher. Tyson was conned by Don King into thinking Cayton was really giving him a fucking, just so he could take over and really give him a good fucking and i believe manny steward was taking a whopping 50 percent from hearns which precipitated their breakup. Money changes everything. as far as larosa being "loaded" that never has stopped some people from ripping people off.

i wouldn't know, it's common for fighters to think someone is ripping them off when they're not and it's also common for them to get ripped off. Brendan Ingle lost control of Naseem because people were telling naz that 25 percent was ridiculous for brendon to be taking, but i think that's fair for someone who is training, managing a guy. what is the normal pay for something like that? probably even higher. Tyson was conned by Don King into thinking Cayton was really giving him a fucking, just so he could take over and really give him a good fucking and i believe manny steward was taking a whopping 50 percent from hearns which precipitated their breakup. Money changes everything.

I wouldn't know either for sure, but I'm around and hear things. And I wouldn't doubt whatever money LaRosa made off Pryor he spent many times over on him later. Pryor's family seemed to be very grateful to Buddy. But like you say, you never really know unless you know in this sport.

I was a kid when he was champ, I always remember him pointing that glove and rocking back and forth in his corner to come running out at the opening bell and start his assault immediately, though. Generally not slowing down until they went down. Be it one or two rounds, or 14 rounds later. Super fun fighter to root for and watch. My dad loved him.

I wouldn't know either for sure, but I'm around and hear things. And I wouldn't doubt whatever money LaRosa made off Pryor he spent many times over on him later. Pryor's family seemed to be very grateful to Buddy. But like you say, you never really know unless you know in this sport.
i wouldn't doubt it like i said, and people are complicated. as much shit as people talk about don king, it always surprises me but he's actually done some generous shit before too, when Bundini Brown died, no one offered to pay for his burial, not even Ali, for some reason, (i've heard he was pretty close to broke himself but he coulda gotten a few greand, don't know what to make of that really). Also, there was a guy who ratted king out a few years ago , a guyy who worked for king, i think his name was spelled ironically close to mafia, maffie or somesuch, but he actually said king lent him thousands for something at one point, no one is all good or all bad.

i wouldn't doubt it like i said, and people are complicated. as much shit as people talk about don king, it always surprises me but he's actually done some generous shit before too, when Bundini Brown died, no one offered to pay for his burial, not even Ali, for some reason, (i've heard he was pretty close to broke himself but he coulda gotten a few greand, don't know what to make of that really). Also, there was a guy who ratted king out a few years ago , a guyy who worked for king, i think his name was spelled ironically close to mafia, maffie or somesuch, but he actually said king lent him thousands for something at one point, no one is all good or all bad.

Big Don killed a couple guys so let's not forget that. Kicked a guy to death in the street back in Cleveland over debt when he was a petty criminal running numbers and did some time. Supposedly was the trigger man on a murder after that but nobody would testify.
Pretty sure Buddy is murder-free, FWIW. lol
But I know what you mean.

Big Don killed a couple guys so let's not forget that. Pretty sure Buddy is murder-free. lol
But I know what you mean.
that italian food has probably killed a lot of people. seriously though, none of us can live in this world and not get our hands dirty. I remember how my mentor would sell fortified liquor to everyone who'd buy it and I used to wonder why he did it, knowing him as I did, the answer is usually simple,and it was greed. money is the root of all evil and such.

It's funny when people talk about the most "talented" boxers and the first fighters mentioned are some of the most hard-working ones.

What about this guy? He repeatedly skipped training, always showed up out of shape, was a chain smoker and didn't really give a fuck about winning. His record is 117-4-14.

When I was a kid my grandfather always used to complain about the modern boxers on TV, he always used to tell me about Locche and that he would beat them all blindfolded, HW's included, any weightclass. That he used to eat ice cream and smoke and never show up for training, and sometimes would show up for 20 minutes and then leave saying its too much effort lol.

So anyways my grandfather always used to moan a lot, I forgot about it for a long time, but when I was a bit older I finally saw a fight of Locche on internet for the first time and I was like WOW!!!!!! I couldn't believe how slick he was and how fast he was. It always reminds me of my grandfather when I see any Locche fights now.

Back