Most talented fighters ever.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Keep in mind this doesn't necessarily mean the best fighters ever, or fighters with the best resume.

For me, it'd have to be, in no order:

Sugar Ray Leonard
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Roy Jones Jr.
Vasyl Lomachenko
Wilfred Benitez

Keep in mind this doesn't necessarily mean the best fighters ever, or fighters with the best resume.

Sugar Ray Leonard
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Roy Jones Jr.
Vasyl Lomachenko
Wilfred Benitez
Good list although Roy to me was more of a freakish athlete.

James Toney comes to mind as the most talented IMO.

It's funny when people talk about the most "talented" boxers and the first fighters mentioned are some of the most hard-working ones.

What about this guy? He repeatedly skipped training, always showed up out of shape, was a chain smoker and didn't really give a fuck about winning. His record is 117-4-14.

No Whitaker? For shame, fellas.

José Napoles had sick combos.

Certainly Not the most talented but I always liked Kirkland Laing. He definitely didn’t reach his potential due to his lifestyle, but was a joy to watch when I was a kid.

Prince Naseem Hamed was another talented fellow.

It's funny when people talk about the most "talented" boxers and the first fighters mentioned are some of the most hard-working ones.

What about this guy? He repeatedly skipped training, always showed up out of shape, was a chain smoker and didn't really give a fuck about winning. His record is 117-4-14.

is that true? I never heard that, he's one fighter i don't know a lot about but assume he's an all timer. not too many guys can fuck off like that, it's the exception, not the rule.

Camacho and Tyson, both had the ability to far exceed their competition and both fell short, possibly because things came too easily for them. Not to say they didn't work hard, both guys worked hard as apprentice fighters but couldn't handle success.

I'll throw out a name that doesn't get dropped in those threads: Paul Spadafora.

Sugar Ray Leonard
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Roy Jones Jr.
Vasyl Lomachenko
Wilfred Benitez
I'd add Emille Griffith on there too. And Mike Tyson. Plus Sugar Ray Robinson.
Prince Naseem Hamed was another talented fellow.
Another that may deserve to be on there. I don't know if he had the heart for it or the trainability but he was certainly very talented.

emmanuel steward used to praise, it was either johnny bratton or johnny saxton, i always get those two names mixed up but whoever he was talking about, he sounded like a bad motherfucker. I remember reading articles in the 80's of how he went mad and was homeless.

I'd add Emille Griffith on there too. And Mike Tyson. Plus Sugar Ray Robinson.

Another that may deserve to be on there. I don't know if he had the heart for it or the trainability but he was certainly very talented.
I always thought hamed was overrated, he had some redeeming qualities, one was his heart, the other was that freakish power, but the way he fought, that ingle style, I never thought was sound, and it was all wrong for a guy who was already short and stubby for his division. You don't want to be leaning all over the place with your hands down when you're that short.

I always thought hamed was overrated, he had some redeeming qualities, one was his heart, the other was that freakish power, but the way he fought, that ingle style, I never thought was sound, and it was all wrong for a guy who was already short and stubby for his division. You don't want to be leaning all over the place with your hands down when you're that short.
Fair enough if you think that. I personally think he was a very gifted fighter. He had great reflexes but Barrera overcame that with great timing, distance management plus disciplined combination punching. Nas also had an amazing chin. He was never once rocked in any of his fights and Barrera landed some bombs on him.

It's gotta be Roy for me. I don't know if I've ever seen another fighter as naturally gifted as that dude. Just a freak athlete.

Fair enough if you think that. I personally think he was a very gifted fighter. He had great reflexes but Barrera overcame that with great timing, distance management plus disciplined combination punching. Nas also had an amazing chin. He was never once rocked in any of his fights and Barrera landed some bombs on him.
he got rocked in just about every fight, i was convinced that he'd lose as soon as he met a real pro, and he did. That Ingle/Graham style will probably die out, it's not something that really works for anyone who wants to be great.

It's gotta be Roy for me. I don't know if I've ever seen another fighter as naturally gifted as that dude. Just a freak athlete.
I go back and forth on Roy, i still don't know what to make of him. Is he any faster than many, many fighters I've seen? Hell no, although at middleweight, he was about as good a puncher as you'd want to see. I watch his old fights when i have time and try to figure out how he did so well, one of the main reasons was guys just stopped trying and stopped throwing punches. you can't do anything if you don't throw punches. Roy learned this later on in his later fights when he just didn't throw punches for whatever reason, against tarver in the third fight. you can't win if you don't throw. Not roy or anyone else.

he got rocked in just about every fight, i was convinced that he'd lose as soon as he met a real pro, and he did. That Ingle/Graham style will probably die out, it's not something that really works for anyone who wants to be great.
He never got 'rocked' not once. He got floored numerous times and never looked more than just like he had a hurt ego. Show me ONE example where he was rocked....

He never got 'rocked' not once. He got floored numerous times and never looked more than just like he had a hurt ego. Show me ONE example where he was rocked....
you should already know if you've seen his fights. He was special, don't get me wrong, he'd probably be in my top ten all time puncher, well, certainly he would. He was fast but he wasn't going to be great with that style, and there was even silly talk by ingle that he'd go all the way up to middleweight, brendan ingle was a kooke, which isn't bad in and of itself, boxing is full of those but his style and the person he stole it from (Graham) didn't work.

Back