Most suitable Judo Throw for MMA/no Gi

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
If you are taking judo classes, and practice Judo, what would be THE judo throw to practice that could be most effectively utilized in MMA/no Gi?

I'm leaning towards Uchi Mata from the whizzer, I don't know if it's good idea to do the throw that give your back to the opponent, whether it can be effective or not, or whether you go down with them or not, because you've seen it before done in MMA competition safely, but still, I feel like Osoto gari can be effective, but you rarely see them in MMA

I guessing that inside leg trip would be THE throw that is probably most often utilized perhaps in MMA...

Thoughts?

Foot sweeps are kinda common, also some are pretty good with uchi and harai.

I get Osoto Gari more than anything else when I'm sparring.

From an over under clinch, hold them by the back of their head and try to pull them into an uppercut. They might lean back to get away from it. That's your cue for the reaping throw.

Osoto's a good 1.

Harai Goshi's another.

giphy.gif

Ouchi Gari and/or outside leg trip from the double under hooks or possibly from over-under clinch. If successful you can end up on top, though you'll probably end up landing inside your opponent's guard. Sanae Kikuta (a Judoka from Japan who fought in Pride and King of Pancrase) was pretty good at doing this. It was his signature move.

Harai goshi is quite popular among judoka/sambists in the UFC, a koshi guruma is less popular, but you see guys landing it on the occasion, I am really good at seoi nages if I have a really deep overhook and if someone is trying to clinch with me and really pushing against to get to the fence/wall or whatever, it works well from there.

Right on his head, shit, that sucks.

Which fight is that?
LOL, there's some thread on here that questions if Judo is "good" for self defense.

The question should b "Is judo good for voluntary manslaughter?"

Imagine a civilian with zero Ukemi taking that fall on pavement not on a mat?

Aren't most judo throws not allowed in bjj competitions?

Literally the exact opposite. Many judo throws are no longer allowed in judo competition, but all, to my knowledge, are legal in BJJ.

Uchi mata and harai goshi variants from over/under lock up. More control than wizzer and better ability to knock wind out of opponent. I dont like giving up an underhool on the wizzer after a throw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back