Most suitable Judo Throw for MMA/no Gi

Uchi mata and harai goshi variants from over/under lock up. More control than wizzer and better ability to knock wind out of opponent. I dont like giving up an underhool on the wizzer after a throw.

This seems rare in actual mma though. Usually the opponent defends the throw strong against the underhook side. My judo teacher would say it's the lack of space that prevents the correct pull and entry to the throw ... the over under clinch makes the classic judo throw entry too tight.

I think that's why the overhook is most common as the forward throw grip in mma. It usually works as an underhook counter when you have one guy trying to penetrate and get a body lock or double off the underhook.

I can see that i just find i have better success with the over under lock up from wrestling

This is the one, playboy. Remember to lean back.

giphy.gif

Literally the exact opposite. Many judo throws are no longer allowed in judo competition, but all, to my knowledge, are legal in BJJ.
IIRC the only throw banned is kani-basami. Ura-nage is, of course, legal, but I'm not sure I'd be prepared to trust referees to know that; they might conflate the dictionary definition of a slam (which ura-nage certainly fits) and the definition used in BJJ.

IIRC the only throw banned is kani-basami. Ura-nage is, of course, legal, but I'm not sure I'd be prepared to trust referees to know that; they might conflate the dictionary definition of a slam (which ura-nage certainly fits) and the definition used in BJJ.
Ive been dq'd for ura nage in bjj. Kawazu gake is also illegal if the opponents head lands

Bans on leg grabs and gripping have eliminated many other throws as well, however, though they are not explicitly singled out like Kani basami. Most obviously morote gari, but also single legs, various 'slavic' throws, etc. So you have many more legal throwing options in bjj rules.

Uchi mata and harai goshi variants from over/under lock up. More control than wizzer and better ability to knock wind out of opponent. I dont like giving up an underhool on the wizzer after a throw.
Actually Fedor failed an wizzer Uchimata against Hunt and since then I never liked very much, Harai Goshi in my opinion is better for MMA .
Ouchi Gari and/or outside leg trip from the double under hooks or possibly from over-under clinch. If successful you can end up on top, though you'll probably end up landing inside your opponent's guard. Sanae Kikuta (a Judoka from Japan who fought in Pride and King of Pancrase) was pretty good at doing this. It was his signature move.
Thank´s I´ll look for it
Harai goshi is quite popular among judoka/sambists in the UFC, a koshi guruma is less popular, but you see guys landing it on the occasion, I am really good at seoi nages if I have a really deep overhook and if someone is trying to clinch with me and really pushing against to get to the fence/wall or whatever, it works well from there.
Isn´t bad if the cage stop the guy from landing on the ground and it fals on you ?

If you are taking judo classes, and practice Judo, what would be THE judo throw to practice that could be most effectively utilized in MMA/no Gi?

I'm leaning towards Uchi Mata from the whizzer, I don't know if it's good idea to do the throw that give your back to the opponent, whether it can be effective or not, or whether you go down with them or not, because you've seen it before done in MMA competition safely, but still, I feel like Osoto gari can be effective, but you rarely see them in MMA

I guessing that inside leg trip would be THE throw that is probably most often utilized perhaps in MMA...

Thoughts?
Backwards would be kosoto gake with bodylock grip usualy ---
Kouchi makekomi too but you can give the back ---

Forward for the street koshi guruma is probably a fight ender but against skilled oponents Harai Goshi seems to work way more.

Sasae is great but not a throw to smash but for taking opponents from the front like Fedor used to do .

Isn´t bad if the cage stop the guy from landing on the ground and it fals on you ?
Of course, you have to push off of the cage to create distance, and if you're opponent is pushing you very hard, and uf you have a deep overhook, then it's a great time to do it

That's some fuckin narly Ukemi, LOL!

Holy shit I remember taking some like that when I was what a brand new Ikkyu trying to look like the big boys?

Limped for a month after taking one of those right on the seam of the tatami, haha!

Green on the wolf hunt again!

LOL!

Seoi Nage
Osoto Gari
Uchi mata
Kubi Nage
Tai Otoshi
O-Goshi

i think that would be a terrible throw for nogi mma..

Seoi has been used to decent effect by multiple people in MMA, most notably Karo. People just don't expect it the way they do in grappling.

Back