Most famous athlete of all time

Aegon Spengler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Who do you think it is? The most well known athlete ever? Pele? Jordan? Ali?

So because of America, I say you have to leave soccer players out of it. Ali was huge in Europe AND the USA. (and everywhere else).

Ali was a gold medalist first so he had Olympic fame - and as champion he fought and promoted fights against a big Swede, had classic fights against British boxers, Germans...he fought all over Europe. His stand against the Vietnam was was very keenly watched by Eastern Bloc countries as well. They knew Ali well in China and Russia as he featured strongly in their anti-western propaganda.

Ali was also an enormous star in the Muslim world. His trip to Mecca was watched very closely by Muslims on every corner of the Earth, and I just don't know how many Saudi Arabians know who Jordan is.

Also was also absolutely huge in Africa. He fought perhaps the biggest fight of his career in Africa against George Foreman. Ali fought big fights in Japan and southeast Asia as well.

He was interviewed on every European TV channel, his voice and the result of his fights were heard in every country on earth. He gave speeches at universities all over Europe, South America, North America, in Japan and in Australia.

He's also considered a civil rights crusader in many parts of the world including South Africa.

The guy is the definition of an internationally famous athlete.

OP said of all time. I'm going with Ali.

Maybe others are more famous currently worldwide idk

I was browsing in the bookstore today, sports biographies (uk).

I think there were more books on Ali than any other athlete and he's been retired for over 30 years.

There are books just on individual fights.

Last edited:
Bound to be some guy in the UFC.

Probably Pele given the breadth of soccer's fan-base.

Sachin Tendulkar is a god in India and they have 1bn ppl.

Gotta be Pele. I knew who he was early in life before I even knew what soccer was, and he's still famous.
Jordan gives him a good run though with his internationally known branding...

Sachin Tendulkar is a god in India and they have 1bn ppl.

Everyone in China loves basketball and they have nearly 1.4 billion. Jordan is definitely the most famous worldwide.

Jordan by a pretty big margin.

jesus_football.jpg

I bet Pele, Ali, and Woods are all more well known than Jorcan.

Just because they don't play it in CANadia doesn't mean that basketball isn't a global sport. His fame transcends more than sports too because of movies, shoes etc etc.

Just because they don't play it in CANadia doesn't mean that basketball isn't a global sport. His fame transcends more than sports too because of movies, shoes etc etc.

Easy champ, basketball is a Canadian invention. But your point is right, it is regionally limited, it doesn't have the same global appeal as boxing or football.

Easy champ, basketball is a Canadian invention. But your point is right, it is regionally limited, it doesn't have the same global appeal as boxing or football.

I'm just messing around about Canada but I have to disagree. Basketball is the second most popular sport in the world. It's pretty big in S. America and Europe and HUGE in China. I'm pretty sure wiz went there to become the first rapping, pop locking, ninja point guard of the Shanghai Nets.

Edit: I looked into it and apparently bballb isn't second...hmm. My answer is still Jordan, nonetheless.

Last edited:
The Canadian in me says Wayne Gretzky.

The real answer is Michael Jordan.

Back