Most famous athlete of all time

Believe it or not, nobody outside of the US knows who Lebron James is unless they are NBA or major sports fans.

Jordan on the other hand....

Isn't the NBA big in China?

I'm just thinking aloud, but whatever made Jordan famous (championships, Olympics, media presence) would also make Lebron famous for the same reasons, except now the media is much more accessible and saturated. I mean, just proclaiming Jordan (without any qualifications) and dismissing Lebron (without any qualifications) seems to be lacking in evidence and reasoning. Maybe I'm missing something.

Now that I think about it, though, David Beckham probably makes sense given his high profile sport, high profile appearance and high profile wife all in the age of mass media.

I actually bought and wore a pair of Nike Jordan Air Max's as a teen unyet didn't have a f'n Scooby doo who Michael Jordan was at that time, they were just super cool looking kicks to me. And I was an absolute sports obsessed nutter.

Pre-internet era, though.

Believe it or not, nobody outside of the US knows who Lebron James is unless they are NBA or major sports fans.

LeBron_James_China_Basketball.png

OB-SB309_lebron_G_20120305052156.jpg

It's fair that this is a yankee forum so people will list those who are on their media. Truth is, soccer is still the most popular sport in the world even tho it isn't in your favorite country and your momma and poppa doesn't know anything about it. That is just a fact and I'll assure you people do not know who Gretzsky or Babe Ruth are, no matter how much you argue about it.

With that being said, Jordan was made into an icon as he introduced sportswear to the mainstream. He was the first poster boy and people went to buy shoes because of him. Then, and only then that trend would translate to any other sport.

Ali was great, because of his political influence. He is like the very first icon that made the road for the Jordans that would come later. It's just that globalization wasn't the same in the 70s than it was in the 90s.

My list:
1 - Jordan
2a - Maradona / 2b - Pel

The correct answer is Brad Gushu legendary Canadian Curling champion.
Motherfucker lead Saskatewan to like 18 Briar titles.

Kobe and Lebron are global athletes. Huge followings especially in asia.

That being said, neither are close to jordan in popularity/branding.

I still don't know how this is a debate... Jordan is so famous people kill each other over shoes with his name associated to them...

250px-Jumpman_logo.svg.png

Three names in the OP. Jordan, Ali and Pele. I think Jordan edges Pele because, while football is more massive worldwide than b-ball, Jordan's name stands above everyone else's in b-ball while Pele's is similar to Maradona, the two Ronaldos, Messi, Zidane etc.

And even in soccer mad countries like in South America, Europe, Asia they absolutely know who Jordan is. I'd say nearly everyone who watches sport in China recognise Jordan and the majority in India would as well.

In North America it's a no contest. Some might recognise Pele but not a majority.

Ali has more popularity in an all time sense than either but right now I'd give the nod to Jordan even though it's been over 10 years since he played.

I just don't think it could possibly be anyone other than Beckham in tidays age.

You can't say Ali or basically anyone pre-internet. since just the 90s, worldwide cultural knowledge has grown so much.

The fact that he was world famous without the internet would add to his argument for being the most famous of all time, I'd think.

Isn't the NBA big in China?

I'm just thinking aloud, but whatever made Jordan famous (championships, Olympics, media presence) would also make Lebron famous for the same reasons, except now the media is much more accessible and saturated. I mean, just proclaiming Jordan (without any qualifications) and dismissing Lebron (without any qualifications) seems to be lacking in evidence and reasoning. Maybe I'm missing something.

Now that I think about it, though, David Beckham probably makes sense given his high profile sport, high profile appearance and high profile wife all in the age of mass media.

Ok. For example, here in Brazil if I ask my male friends who Lebron is, most of them would know, even if some of them answer "is he an NBA player or something?". Because most of them follow sports and one day or another they heard about him on some sports news. Some wouldn't know who he is.

If I ask my female friends NONE of them would know who Lebron is.

Now if ask them (male and female) who Michael Jordan is, every single one of them would know who he is. Even my mom knows who freaking Michael Jordan is.

My point is, some athletes transcend their sports popularity wise.

Yes, as osudude said, NBA is big in China. My point still.

Ok. For example, here in Brazil if I ask my male friends who Lebron is, most of them would know, even if some of them answer "is he an NBA player or something?". Because most of them follow sports and one day or another they heard about him on some sports news. Some wouldn't know who he is.

If I ask my female friends NONE of them would know who Lebron is.

Now if ask them (male and female) who Michael Jordan is, every single one of them would know who he is. Even my mom knows who freaking Michael Jordan is.

My point is, some athletes transcend their sports popularity wise.

Yes, as osudude said, NBA is big in China. My point still.

Just wait until Lebron is in Space Jam 2.

Either way it's a brother so don't any if you honkies get any ideas about some cracker being that man.

Back