Most effective takedown?

?/?/?/

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What do you use as your favorite takedown? I always see guys (myself included when I get sloppy) get caught in guillotines when going for singe/double leg wrestling style takedowns, then again, anyone stronger than me seems to defend my trips from the clinch, or end up landing on top of me when I just try to toss them ala Shogun vs Little Nog style. What do you guys find the most effective in a strictly grappling match when starting on the feet? Help a novice grappler out, thanks.

I always try for a footsweep to get someone down because if I miss, I will not really end up in a bad position. Usually some form of judo technique. I very rarely(if ever ) shoot in on someone, though IO have been working on them.

Kosoto Gari set up with an over-hook on the side that I'm sweeping. If they try to pull their arm out of the over-hook, I switch to an ankle pick on that side.

If I have trouble getting the over-hook or finishing with it, I'll work as if I'm trying to get it to get them to circle to the other side, then switch to a Kouchi Gari on the opposite side they're circling into.

I mean for me it's one of the fantasrtic 4:

Uchimata
Harai Goshi
Osoto Gari
Seoinage

Either from overhooks, underhooks, or off a collar grip.

Other than that it's an inside trip, high-crotch, single leg, or double leg as my favorie non-judo takedowns. I've also ben drilling Marcelo Garcia's single leg to back-take. Awesome move!

Suplexes kick ass too!

I mean for me it's one of the fantasrtic 4:

Uchimata
Harai Goshi
Osoto Gari
Seoinage

Either from overhooks, underhooks, or off a collar grip.

Other than that it's an inside trip, high-crotch, single leg, or double leg as my favorie non-judo takedowns. I've also ben drilling Marcelo Garcia's single leg to back-take. Awesome move!

Suplexes kick ass too!

I love Osoto Gari's, but against experienced people I have almost ZERO success with them.

in gi osoto gari, ouchi gari, uchi mata, and te guruma. There is no most effective takeown, it really depends on which takedowns are most effective for you, your style and body shape.

In no gi I like kosoto gake, tai otoshi, harai goshi. I've been trying uchi mata but no luck.

I love Osoto Gari's, but against experienced people I have almost ZERO success with them.

Gi or no gi?

Either way, you're right. If someone is experienced, it is a tough one to pull off, especially if the leg you want to attack is the back leg.

GSP osotoed the FUCK out of Hughes that last fight...I almost got a boner...

osoto gari, if can't finish it, transfer into a harai goshi or yama rashi

but a simple double is the best if you just execute it properly

Gi or no gi?

Either way, you're right. If someone is experienced, it is a tough one to pull off, especially if the leg you want to attack is the back leg.

Gi. If the leg I want is the back leg, I take a small inside step with my opposite leg followed by a large step back my leg on the side I'm attacking as I pull them into the direction I'm circling to force them to step forward with it.

In No-Gi, I use the over-hook series that I described above with the Kouchi Gari as a back-up. I use it for Gi to, but I'll mix Osoto and hip toss attempts in with Gi; though I don't have too much success with either usually.

High crotch duck under to the back.

Then. German Suplex.

osoto gari, if can't finish it, transfer into a harai goshi or yama rashi

but a simple double is the best if you just execute it properly

Yea dude, Osot and Harai are like heads/tails of the same coin.

Great to rotate into the opposite throw if one isn't working.

Gi. If the leg I want is the back leg, I take a small inside step with my opposite leg followed by a large step back my leg on the side I'm attacking as I pull them into the direction I'm circling to force them to step forward with it.

In No-Gi, I use the over-hook series that I described above with the Kouchi Gari as a back-up. I use it for Gi to, but I'll mix Osoto and hip toss attempts in with Gi; though I don't have too much success with either usually.

I need to try that first method ou tommorow.

But check this out. May be helpful.

YouTube - Osoto Gari Demo by the Camarillo Brothers

Dan Camarillo on what to do if their leg is back on Osoto. Startsat 3:15

Back in high school I used wrestle in the 275 division. You learn pretty quickly that a failed shot in that weight class will get you into a load of trouble, so I always went for tie up instead. From there it seemed like I could always fake a duckunder which would set up a very easy head and arm throw.

knee pick and ankle picks are great too for fast guys... watch jacare for a reference:icon_twis

No Gi, sorry should have clarified. Sweet, been watching some of the suggested moves, Karo P has some good No Gi throw instructional videos, ha, will see if I can pull any of them off.

No Gi, sorry should have clarified. Sweet, been watching some of the suggested moves, Karo P has some good No Gi throw instructional videos, ha, will see if I can pull any of them off.

YouTube - Karo On Throws

Karo part 1 - includes drop Seoinage, Ouchi gari, Uchimata

YouTube - Karo on Throws Part 2

Karo part 2 - includes Kimura lock throws, and does Judo at the end

Also, check for Karo' new book "Judo For Fighting". It's out later this month.

Back