Most effective takedown?

For me, I try to work combos as my first takedown usually gets stuffed... :(

Ouchi -> kouchi, tai otoshi, or uchimata; osoto -> harai or sasae are my go to combos. And if my first osoto gets blocked I can follow up with the hopping osoto.

Football tackle...change levels and go for single/double leg takedown, drive them into the ground once you have a grip, and then shoot for side control in the transition.

I've done this easily to stronger and bigger people. Josh Barnett had a spot in The Human Weapon and he was teaching Jason Chambers and Bill Duff how to do it.
YouTube - Human Weapon MMA - Double Leg Takedown

I think pros like GSP or Hughes would stuff me or Sprawl in a cage, but it works on everyday people at the gym.

One of my coaches actually tries for wrist control and to wrap that arm across the neck. Once in side control, he's got you one handed and then rains elbows or punches to the face. Almost all of one of my high school buddies' fights ended up like this and he'd jack that other guy while on the ground with wrist control (he didn't train).

Well I just started going to grappling tournaments been sticking to low and outside singles mostly in grappling. or else I lock up and look for a throw.

Double leg. If he sprawls I hip-out and take the back or pull half guard, which puts him by an advantage, then old school him onto his back.

the one Zangief does in Street Fighter 2

I like the suplex from an armdrag. So simple (which clumsy dudes like me can appreciate), yet so effective.

I take it most of you are former high school wrestlers. More wrestling terminology in here than I've heard in a long time. I love it, I love it (in my best Matt Hughes impersonation).

single leg for me, definately. if i get any resistance, i switch to ankle pick.

singles/double legs for me, but i wrestled for 5 years prior to training any bjj/judo... but i spar with some guys who have a few years exp and never get cought in anything, usually when people get sloppy they end up tapping after a bad shot.. the key is the technique and not being lazy ^^

nah. osoto all the way.

Well he tried to do Harai, he and shonie both said it. Hughes reaction made it turn into more of an osoto/taitoshi combo looking hybrid, but GSP definately tried a harai.

And although it may have been close to osoto than harai, im sure we agree that was not a very clean osoto. Go watch the youtube clip- shinya aoki in grappling

THOSE are clean osotos.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nTGZHgcpaJo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nTGZHgcpaJo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

IS that three darces in 1 competiton? Nice.

harai's up on the thigh and you're pulling them forward.

GSP was going sideways with those hooks and swept matt's supporting leg.

it doesn't really matter though. "fucking sweet" is what i call it.

I am a head inside single, to a peak out kind of guy. As an upper weight, it allows me a good chance at taking the back or getting side control right away off of a shot. Once one of our 4 stripers was able to cinch in a guillotine, buit I made him work for it. If my shot isn't there I look for a head and arm (very effective as I am a shorter big man 5'9 and most guys are taller), a lateral drop, my inverted lateral drop ( i have heard it was a judo throw...i'm not a judoka, so im not sure) or an armspin takedown. For a bigger man I feel my attacks are pretty diversified.

Back