Most damage taken in a career?

I am not a scientist but maybe it's better to get a one punch KO like the Reem then have a granite chin like a guy like Hendo and absorb hit after hit, round after round.

Don't forget those poor Japanese guys like Kanehara who took savage beatings from Wand, Shogun, Reem, Cro Cop ...

Overeem has a lot of knockout losses.
But he is also one of the least hit fighters in the UFC.

If you're from the PRIDE days chances are you've racked up quite the mileage. Bonus points if you were also part of K1.

Depends what you call damage. Honestly, the fights aren’t causing cte. It’s all the repetitive sparring in training camps that cause it. Diaz, nog, strickland, stipe, max(who doesn't spar anymore but has terrible head movement) etc…Overeem still seems fairly intelligent and( it may be because he quits before fully getting ko’d)

Overeem got knocked out a fair amount, but I don't remember him being in any real career-shortening wars, like JDS against Cain.
Yeah It was probably in Overeem's longterm favour that he didn't stay in too many firefights. Before TechnicalREEM, he was kill or be killed.

Got to be between Edgar & JDS.

Edgar for the wars he's been in, and his four recent KOs.

JDS for the two royal beat-downs by Cain, and his later KOs by Stipe and his four recent TKOs/KOs.

Gary Goodridge is in pretty bad shape now apparently, he had a bad run towards the end and got knocked out a lot.
Yeah Goodridge really is unfortunately the poster child for how bad the damage can mount.

Wanderlei has 50 fights. Probably half of those were wars. It's such a high number compared to other fighters. Even in wins he took a lot of damage. Needed reconstructive face surgery and has CTE.

The fact that Sanchez has literally had a mid-career mental collapse in full view of the public eye says enough for me.
He was already crazy
I know we dont like to talk about Travis Fulton here but with 320 MMA fights and 75 boxing matches dude must had some serious long term problems.
A lot of those fights were works tho.

Big Nog comes to mind unfortunately

He goes from looking sharp and light on his feet in earlier Pride

To looking like a walking dead zombie begging to get stiffend

Yep. You could predict the ko coming from nelson. Which would have been absurd in pride.

Olaf Alfonso has to be up there. Yoshiaki Yahtzu and Hidehiko Yoshida as well.

Last edited:
Back