Most damage taken in a career?

Gary Goodridge is in pretty bad shape now apparently, he had a bad run towards the end and got knocked out a lot.
A lot of that was in K-1 too sadly he just kept fighting
I think overeem, cowboy and shogun got some brutal damage over the years

It's hard to get hold of negative stats, like who has absorbed the most strikes, but I genuinely think it must be Diego Sanchez. It would take a lot of research, but it could be worked out. The fact that Sanchez has literally had a mid-career mental collapse in full view of the public eye says enough for me.

Edgar(probably the saddest KO losses too), Gaethje, Holloway, Tony, Stipe, Overeem, Lawler, Diaz(both), Chandler, Poirier, Eddie Alvarez, Micheal Johnson, Melvin Guillard, Wand(shows severe sighs of CTE), Nam Phan, etc.
These are just off the top of my head.

Diego was in a sad state being suspended upside down and blindfolded while taking shots. That was brutal and made me wonder how far he fell mentally. Watching Justin almost turn off Tony’s brain was another crazy moment.

damage? that’s tough to quantify, unless you’re really just talking about visible damage. in that case, jds is certainly a candidate, having spent 50 minutes transforming into quazimodo. but tony ate the most power shots in recent memory without going unconscious.

imo, the fighters with the most damage are those who have developed permanent brain injuries from getting hit in the head, and we won’t know who those people are until they start having parkinsons style symptoms.

and of course, bisping lost an eye, which will diminish the quality of his post-mma life greatly.

Back