Most Commonly Mispronounced Names in BJJ?

Vinny Magaleages (sp)

Sorry Vinny, I cannot spell or pronounce your name.

Kimura gets mispronounced as Kimora all the time, especially by Joe Hogan.

Xande is pronounced like Shawn-G.

It irritates him when you pronounce it like Zan Day. When he get's irritated he kimura's you.

After the no gi class my coach would say, "Put your gis on". But it always sounded like "Port u geese"

I never speculated on how to pronounce Caio name, I was just agreeing with Mr. Violent.
But now it's solved, Kai- u Terrr... I'm glad I didn't toss my hat in that ring, I was WAY off.

why doesn't sombody who can speak portugese actually just make a quick youtube vid and say all the names??

Nguyen is pronounced similar enough to "Gwen" that there's no point in trying any harder than that.

I'd imagine it being pronounced like Kai-Oh, and spelling it with a C doesn't seem that far-fetched?

Xande, to me, seems to be the hardest to pronounce, or any of the ones with 'ao' at the end. Galvao, i've heard with the 'ao' being pronounced as 'oh' (Gal-Voh), and as 'ow' (Gal-Vow).. weird stuff.

Edit: there's a local brown belt with the last name Nguyen, and for the life of me, I can never remember how to pronounce that.

Nguyen = "nah-ooh-win"

seems all the Brazilian names that start with "R" is pronounced with and "H" * confused as hell, and whats even funnier is some don't understand why we mess it up.*

Nguyen = "nah-ooh-win"

seems all the Brazilian names that start with "R" is pronounced with and "H" * confused as hell, and whats even funnier is some don't understand why we mess it up.*

Actually it's pronounced like "when", the n is silent. The G is more like a W.

Pretty sure Vinny once made a long post on Sherdog about how his name is pronounced like 'Maga-a-lion'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back