Most Commonly Mispronounced Names in BJJ?

wastedyouth

White Belt
Reaction score
Like the title says, what names do you hear mispronounced most often? And more importantly what's the correct pronunciation?

I used to call jacare -Jay Care. Thats before I started watching bjj and heard it...what do you want im not some Portuguese expert.

I can't pronounce rorian or Caio correctly for the life of me

I'm still confused how Caio ends up as 'Ciao'.

I'd imagine it being pronounced like Kai-Oh, and spelling it with a C doesn't seem that far-fetched?

Xande, to me, seems to be the hardest to pronounce, or any of the ones with 'ao' at the end. Galvao, i've heard with the 'ao' being pronounced as 'oh' (Gal-Voh), and as 'ow' (Gal-Vow).. weird stuff.

Edit: there's a local brown belt with the last name Nguyen, and for the life of me, I can never remember how to pronounce that.

No, it is pronounced Kai-oh. But a bunch of people say Ciao like goodbye. Which puzzles me.

You could run right down the list of Gracie Family members with R names. Royce, Rickson, Rorion, Rolls, Rener, Ryron, etc.

I like when people take it a step too far and start pronouncing american names like Raphael lavorto jr with the H sound as the R

Thank you Mr. Violent for actually taking the time to try and sound these names out, which was the purpose of this thread. Galvao`s name is pretty hard, as is Caio`s. Is Monteiro pronounced mon- tea -arrow?

Back