Mosely v Mora

This fight can actually sell decent PPV numbers. Im thinking maybe 300,000?

Way more than 300,000 in my opinion.

I believe the Mayorga fight got 800,000 buys.

You can get 500,000+ buys on Oscars name alone. Hell people would pay to see him masturbate in the middle of the ring.

Thats exactly the response I wanted. Most people hate Mora. Myself included. That doesn't mean that he can't fight though and that was decisively proven on the weekend, when he beat a 5-1 favourite in Vernon Forrest....a guy who owns Shane Mosley.

You know what's coming next Tam, just wait for it......

*waits for 'styles make fights' comment*

One thing I'm in the minority with is I don't think Manfredo got robbed against Mora the second time around. I hate Mora, but he's not some hack who can't fight, it would be much easier on me if he was though.

beating luis lopez, shane benfield, david banks, ted muller, joe spina, scott pemberton is a successful campaign at 168?

it was manfredo's fault he didn't beat an already fractured Lacy. Lacy brought very little that night and manfredo brought even less.

beating luis lopez, shane benfield, david banks, ted muller, joe spina, scott pemberton is a successful campaign at 168?

That's the thing, whenever Peter fights they usually hype it with his two losses to Mora.

The second fight against Mora you could already see people starting to hate Sergio. Whether you think Manfredo won that fight or not, the crowd reacted as if it were highway robbery and so did Manfredo. He didn't do enough to win that fight.

Vernon just has Mosleys number, Mosley cant do with guys with awsome jab.

Id rather see Mosley dismantle Mayorga though

ESPN - Mosley-Mayorga bout in the making after Mora hits contract issues - Boxing

In the end, Sergio Mora's contractual obligations were too much to overcome, leading Shane Mosley to turn to Plan B: Ricardo Mayorga.

The Mora-Mosley negotiations fell apart Friday night, leading to Mosley-Mayorga to gain steam over the weekend, and it was close to being set for Oct. 11 (HBO PPV) at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer and Mosley's wife and adviser, Jin Mosley, told ESPN.com.

"That is what it looks like we will do," Schaefer said. "I am working on it with [Mayorga promoter] Don King."

After Mora -- the first-season winner of "The Contender" -- pulled a major upset by dethroning junior middleweight titleholder Vernon Forrest on June 7, his camp moved quickly to set up his initial defense against fellow Los Angeles native Mosley, a former three-division champion.

However, the proposed fight disintegrated Friday under the weight of Mora's contractual obligations.

In addition to Mora's contract with Forrest containing rematch language -- although it was vague enough that his camp didn't believe the sequel had to be immediate -- he also owes a mandatory defense to Sergio Martinez, who had already stepped aside once to allow Mora-Forrest to take place. Now, Forrest wants his rematch and Martinez wants his shot.

It is unclear who Mora will face first, but the WBC ordered Mora and Martinez last week to begin negotiating a deal. If they can't reach an agreement, a July 25 purse bid will be ordered, the WBC said. There is a possibility that Forrest could force Mora to give up his belt and fight him in an immediate rematch.

The drama left Schaefer and the Mosleys with little choice but to look for a new opponent, and they've settled on Mayorga, who, like Mosley, is a former welterweight and junior middleweight titleholder.

Before Mosley signed to face former undisputed champ Zab Judah on May 31, a fight canceled because of an injury to Judah, there had been talk of Mosley-Mayorga. Now, the junior middleweight fight is close to reality.

"This is a fight that we tried to make instead of Judah," Jin Mosley told ESPN.com. "Things happen for a reason. Don King is a legend and we always wanted an opportunity to work with him. Mayorga is one of my favorite fighters to watch, so it is a great matchup and will be an exciting night. We are hoping that this will be Shane's next bout."

Carl King, Mayorga's manager, told ESPN.com on Sunday night: "We are talking. We're ready, willing and able. This is the fight we want. It's a fight we've been wanting for five years. Shane is one of the most decent guys in the sport. He's always been a class act. I think it's a good fight for both guys. It's a better fight for Ricardo than some of the other fights out there for him."

Mosley (44-5, 37 KOs) and Mayorga (28-6-1, 22 KOs) have several common opponents, including Oscar De La Hoya, Fernando Vargas and Forrest.

Mayorga owns two wins against Forrest and is coming off a win against Vargas last fall. But in the fight before he defeated Vargas, Mayorga was knocked out by De La Hoya. Mosley defeated De La Hoya twice, knocked out Vargas twice in 2006 and lost two decisions to Forrest in 2002.

Mosley-Mayorga, should it be signed, will give Mosley a chance to fight again at Staples Center, site of his biggest victory, a 2000 decision against De La Hoya to win the welterweight championship. It would also be Mosley's first fight since losing a close decision to welterweight beltholder Miguel Cotto on Oct. 10, 2007.

Mora's camp was disappointed that the fight with Mosley fell apart.

"I think it's silly, with all due respect to Vernon, that we would have an immediate rematch," Tournament of Contenders promoter Jeff Wald told ESPN.com. "Why do it immediately? I think a fight with Vernon is not a compelling fight right now after the way the first fight went. If Sergio beat Mosley, it would be more compelling because Vernon beat Shane twice. I would like to make it a bigger event than it would be right now."

Mora headlined at the Staples Center in an October 2005 rematch of "The Contender" first-season finale by again outpointing Peter Manfredo Jr. Wald said Mora was looking forward to another big fight in his hometown.

"It would have been a pleasure for him to fight in his hometown again," Wald said. "It would have been a great opportunity and a great fight. I love doing business with Golden Boy and Richard Schaefer. It's a huge disappointment for all of us at 'The Contender' and for Sergio. He's very disappointed on every level. But it was never our intention not to honor our rematch clause. I wanted to build the rematch into where it was meaningful in terms of business."

Not going to happen anyway. Mosley is gunning for Mayorga. He'll get it.

Mosley knows whats up. He can make decent coin fighting a guy like Mayorga, rather than risk losing agains a guy like Mora.

It's smart, yet annoing at the same time. Mayorga is a roasted salmon.

Mosley knows whats up. He can make decent coin fighting a guy like Mayorga, rather than risk losing agains a guy like Mora.

It's smart, yet annoing at the same time. Mayorga is a roasted salmon.

Come on now. You can say what you may about Mosley's chance against Mora, but Mosley doesn't duck people. Come on now... Mora really is in a contractual bind and Mosley doesn't have time to wait at his age.

Is Mayorga an easier opponent than Sergio Mora, yes or no? Does Mayorga have a belt? Is he ranked higher than Mora?

Mora is obligated to fight a rematch with Forrest. Shane is too old to sit around and wait til that ones done, so he might as well make some dough bitchslapping Mayorga around. Seeing Mayorga get beat up never gets old.

sergio should dump the belt in the trash can riddick bowe style. Is Martinez any good?

Is Mayorga an easier opponent than Sergio Mora, yes or no? Does Mayorga have a belt? Is he ranked higher than Mora?

Mora is probably going to be tied up for his next two fights. (He needs to give Forrest a Rematch because he wants it and Martinez is due for a title shot - he be da fucking mandatory). Shane can't afford to wait a year for another fight. Might as well take Mayorga and get some dough while Mora, Forrest, and Martinez sort their shit out. Mosley definitely wants the belt, but he won't get it because there are two people in front of him.

Thats exactly the response I wanted. Most people hate Mora. Myself included. That doesn't mean that he can't fight though and that was decisively proven on the weekend, when he beat a 5-1 favourite in Vernon Forrest....a guy who owns Shane Mosley.

Its just that old contender stigma, they can't be good if they had to be on a reality show, right.

I'll admit, I expected Forrest to beat Mora and was totally surprised at how the fight went, but I don't see Mosley making similar mistakes. Mora seems to have a better punch at 154 but his speed may not be enough to negate Mosleys.

IMO, Mora is not the type of fighter who shane will stuggle too much with. Shane by comfortable decision.

Yes. He's very good.

I'll take your word for it but, what is he doing fighting 4 rounders and taking fight against someone with only 3 wins and 34 losses? he has an inflated record but he does have some names on his resume. Any mainstream fighter that he shares a style with?

He can't get a ranked opponent, man and he has no reason to risk his ranking because of it.

As for his style? He's got a pretty awkward, yet still orthodox style. Very good jab, accurate shots, very measured and patient enough to land the same punch 20 times in a row, without losing his cool.

He ruined the career of a very bright prospect in Richard Williams. Just turned him into a punching bag in back-to-back fights.

He can't get a ranked opponent, man and he has no reason to risk his ranking because of it.

As for his style? He's got a pretty awkward, yet still orthodox style. Very good jab, accurate shots, very measured and patient enough to land the same punch 20 times in a row, without losing his cool.

He ruined the career of a very bright prospect in Richard Williams. Just turned him into a punching bag in back-to-back fights.

Thanks for the info. The odds should be good once he finally gets a shot.

Back