Monte Barrett Vs David Tua

Barrett will go out from any hard clean punch from Tua, but both of these guys look pretty washed up, to me.

I'd always wanted to know what it would feel like to hold the mitts for a real hard hitting heavyweight. Cool story, bro! =)

orb looc yrots

Oh and, washed up Tua destroys washed up Barrett.

Barrett gets ko'd in that fight, i'd be surprised at any other outcome

I'm sure he hits hard enough, and it must be impressive to feel his power from the mitts/bag but Tua is one of the hardest hitters of his era and hits a lot harder

Barrett gets ko'd in that fight, i'd be surprised at any other outcome

I'm sure he hits hard enough, and it must be impressive to feel his power from the mitts/bag but Tua is one of the hardest hitters of his era and hits a lot harder

I'm 6'2 and weigh in at around 265lbs with less than 12% bodyfat.... Even standing behind a heavybag his punch felt like someone hit me with a baseball bat! It was definitely crazy!

If Monte ISN'T one of the hardest hitters out there than I absolutely CANNOT FATHOM what the others punches feel like. All I'm saying is "thank God I'm not a boxer." lol

I run a fitness center in Springfield NJ that has a partnership with a school called Jersey Fight Club that's owned and operated by (UFC Ref) Kevin Mulhall... Not many people know this, but he's an extremely accomplished Muay Thai competitor and also a phenomenal strength and conditioning coach...

I've trained with him for a little over a year and at this point I'm used to taking some ridiculous head and body shots.. Long story short..... Monte Barrett is training at my place for his upcoming fight with David Tua in Atlantic City and today, I was priveleged enough to hold the mitts and the heavy-bag for him as he was unloading on it.... I gotta be honest.... I've NEVER seen or felt anything like it! It's absolutely amazing that this guy isn't known as a KO puncher because he hits like a goddamn cement truck! Needless to say my hands are still red and numb....And I have a HUGE red/purple welt across my chest from standing behind the bag!

I'm an MMA person and I always have been... I've trained with some fantastic mixed martial artists too. But there is a CLEAR difference between how a HW Boxer and a HW mixed martial artist throw punches. Bigger gloves or not, I would NOT want Monte to hit me AT ALL!!

I hear Monte is a pretty big underdog for this fight but again.... I'm not the biggest follower of boxing on the planet... Does anyone have an opinion on this fight that they'd care to share? Look forward to hearing it...

Yeah, you ought to have seen elite Heavyweight David Haye smashing up Monte Barrett.

That was a darn good scrap.

I love a thrill-fighter like Haye.
They go for the KO even while you just know they may get knocked down themself.

Tua was finished as a top Heavyweight a long time ago.
If Barrett can't beat him, he ought to hang them up.

I'm an MMA person and I always have been... I've trained with some fantastic mixed martial artists too. But there is a CLEAR difference between how a HW Boxer and a HW mixed martial artist throw punches. Bigger gloves or not, I would NOT want Monte to hit me AT ALL!!
Well try telling that to the ultimate fightin' fans in the heavys and you are said to be delusional...

I was told that A. Silva would hit just as hard as a top pro Boxer in his weight class.

Did you get a chance to hold the bag for any top MMA HW's just so you could compare?

Count yourself lucky that you weren't behind this bag:

YouTube - George Foreman Hitting Heavy Bag

YouTube - Foreman vs Moorer 10th rd ko

But ya, Tua should easily KO Monte.

Hopefully it'll be a great fight.

Hoping for a Tua knockout. I'm half-Samoan so I gotta support my boy.

War Tua

I run a fitness center in Springfield NJ that has a partnership with a school called Jersey Fight Club that's owned and operated by (UFC Ref) Kevin Mulhall... Not many people know this, but he's an extremely accomplished Muay Thai competitor and also a phenomenal strength and conditioning coach...

I've trained with him for a little over a year and at this point I'm used to taking some ridiculous head and body shots.. Long story short..... Monte Barrett is training at my place for his upcoming fight with David Tua in Atlantic City and today, I was priveleged enough to hold the mitts and the heavy-bag for him as he was unloading on it.... I gotta be honest.... I've NEVER seen or felt anything like it! It's absolutely amazing that this guy isn't known as a KO puncher because he hits like a goddamn cement truck! Needless to say my hands are still red and numb....And I have a HUGE red/purple welt across my chest from standing behind the bag!

I hear Monte is a pretty big underdog for this fight but again.... I'm not the biggest follower of boxing on the planet... Does anyone have an opinion on this fight that they'd care to share? Look forward to hearing it...

Try being the guy that holds the bag for Tua...:icon_neut

I think Barrett will get stopped badly for the third time in his last 4 fights and get his 4th loss in a row. I don't know how well off he is financially, but it may be time to hang it up after this fight.

I've sparred with and held mitts for Travis Walker, who is at a similar level to Barrett, and yes, they can hit.

Barrett's got no chance whatsoever judging by his last few fights. I Hope he doesn't take too much damage.
I'm not going to watch it.

I figure this is a fight, with a known boxer in Barrett, set up to make Tua look good in his comeback. Too bad this isnt on HBO or something. Not paying $25 for it.

Even Tua with his diminished skills should put him away

Interesting take on things.

Barrett has been looking far gone in his last few fights now, but of course, they do always say the last thing to leave a fighter is his punch. Under the serious pressure of an onslaught in a fight against an opponent who really wants to win, he just doesn't have it anymore, sadly. Gym work is one thing.

Tua by early-mid stoppage. Fight doesn't really prove anything though. Think anybody in the top 25 should handle Barrett with relative ease, and it's questionable how much Tua actually has left to offer, besides his punch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back