Social Moms for S*x Offenders?

Man those "Moms For Liberty" women REALLY let their freak flag fly!

Sign me up! :)

20 year old study for full disclosure. Still, this is pretty damning.

A major 2004 study commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education found that nearly 10 percent of U.S. public school students reported having been targeted with sexual attention by school employees.

Personally I don't necessarily think it's super beneficial to have a big "where is it worse" debate because anywhere it's happening is a problem. That said, if we're ONLY talking about the most common place it happens, it's almost surely public schools vs churches or private school affiliated with churches.

The cover ups by the Catholic church are abhorrent, and were able to happen due to the hierarchy that exists within the org. I think the challenge of stopping in public schools is different but just as important.

Parents of abused kids by priests etc clearly have a blind spot (much less so now, I'd hope) and are (were) far too trusting of clergy due to them obviously practicing the religion and viewing it's "holy people" as not just good, but beyond reproach.

With public schools (and this is conjecture by me but I think backed up by sound reasoning) I'd imagine a large % of victims are lower income kids, often from single parent homes. That's just the easiest target there could be for predators. A kid with a single mom (or dad) that works 2 jobs to make it and thus isn't home after school, etc. A predator that's a teacher or counselor or coach who "takes the kid under their wing". Buys them food or little things they don't get at home under a tight budget, etc.

I wasnt making a "where is it worse" case, just noting why data with the Catholic Church may be skewed.

I wasnt making a "where is it worse" case, just noting why data with the Catholic Church may be skewed.

Oh it could be. The study basically showed it was "100x more common in public schools than in churches or religious schools affiliated with churches". I'm skeptical of that claim to say the least (that number sounds ridiculous) but I'm not at all surprised it's more common in public schools.

I think the key is focusing on how and why it's able to happen at each place (because there are differences) and attacking it from the right angle to lower and stop it at each.

I think people point out the public school situation because those who are extremely anti-religion use the Catholic church scandal to bash religion in general. And the reaction is "Do you really care about the abused kids? Or just want to bash religion? Because you don't go after public schools for allowing it to happen so frequently..."

Again, neither is productive imo. Figure out how to stop it EVERYWHERE.

Oh it could be. The study basically showed it was "100x more common in public schools than in churches or religious schools affiliated with churches". I'm skeptical of that claim to say the least (that number sounds ridiculous) but I'm not at all surprised it's more common in public schools.

I think the key is focusing on how and why it's able to happen at each place (because there are differences) and attacking it from the right angle to lower and stop it at each.

I think people point out the public school situation because those who are extremely anti-religion use the Catholic church scandal to bash religion in general. And the reaction is "Do you really care about the abused kids? Or just want to bash religion? Because you don't go after public schools for allowing it to happen so frequently..."

Again, neither is productive imo. Figure out how to stop it EVERYWHERE.

For sure. I cant stand organized religion but I dont care if there are Churches, Church schools, etc. This could possibly be a case of one learning apparatus just having a much better structure to record problems, and much wider infrastructure. I'd prefer that if both institutions exist, they both operate optimally and have the same mechanisms for addressing abuses.

How do you figure?

Lots of sexual abuse at Catholic schools. How they compare to other schools I don't know.
its pretty widely reported that public schools have a higher rate of sexual abuse than the catholic church does actually. not that that excuses it happening or the despicable and unforgivable cover up they did to hide it.

I can totally forgive the fact that pedophiles who are usually educated and intelligent entered the church in order to gain access to children. what I cant forgive is the non pedos covering it up and in the process allowing it to happen to even more kids.

Sounds like all you need to be to become a leader for them is "Republican" and perhaps "Pastor"...then just hate social progressiveness enough.

Well, until you're a man alone with a 14 year-old boy, then its cool.
That was the purpose of your thread. Man up and say it like it is next time, instead of pretending that "hey guys i found this, lol".

Back