Modern MMA striking > Prime K1 striking

Actually one thing I've wondered is, is Dutch height due to genes or diet? How tall are your second/ third generation immigrants that were raised on Dutch diets? Other populations worldwide average ~5" shorter, so if there's a 5+" average difference among different ethnic groups then I think you'd know about it as it would be obvious.
I've always been curious about that.

A lot of milk Seems to do the trick. About 100 years ago we were like place 20-30 as far as height goes, so nutrition is without a doubt a thing.

The gloves are the biggest part. Limited defense and greater potential damage when getting hit.

Even still, kickboxing and Muay Thai do not have the level of competition of MMA and certainly not boxing. The sheer number of competitors pales in comparison and therefore cannot produce the same amount of top level talents.

IMO Kickboxing became a joke when it moved to the 3x3 and 5x3 length matches. There are even 2x3 length matches for K-1 tournaments. I believe this was done to increase excitement, but makes for laughably short matches that cannot show a narrative like a 12x3 boxing match or 5x5 mma match.

A lot of milk Seems to do the trick. About 100 years ago we were like place 20-30 as far as height goes, so nutrition is without a doubt a thing.
Is there a height difference between second/ third generation immigrants and native Dutch though or are they hitting 6'2" average heights too?

Take most MMA fighters and put them in a purely stand up fight and then we can see how good their striking really is.

People can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that having a really good good ground game or wrestling base Will give your opponents more to think about and have that person's striking look much better then it really is.

IMO Kickboxing became a joke when it moved to the 3x3 and 5x3 length matches. There are even 2x3 length matches for K-1 tournaments. I believe this was done to increase excitement, but makes for laughably short matches that cannot show a narrative like a 12x3 boxing match or 5x5 mma match.
I've tried to watch kickboxing and this really sucks. Fights are over before they feel like they've even started. What's the point of using technique in matches that short?

Take most MMA fighters and put them in a purely stand up fight and then we can see how good their striking really is.

People can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that having a really good good ground game or wrestling base Will give your opponents more to think about and have that person's striking look much better then it really is.
If having a great wrestling base enhances your striking that much then perhaps parts of wrestling should be considered striking. More complete striking arts like SanShou do consider "grappling" to be striking and incorporate it accordingly.

Is there a height difference between second/ third generation immigrants and native Dutch though or are they hitting 6'2" average heights too?

No Dutch people are without a doubt larger, genes obviously play a role. But also: most immigrants eat their "own" diet, so they don't get the same amount of dairy most Dutch people get.

What are you measuring each against? Do you mean mma striking is generally more effective in a real life situation? Otherwise each style is more effective within its own respective sport. Apples and oranges.
No he broke it down pretty comprehensively. You just feel like voicing some wishy washy half way opinion.

He told you exactly why certain things do and don't work and in what situations. So pretty much you're agreeing with ts, but you sound like you're disagreeing.

No he broke it down pretty comprehensively. You just feel like voicing some wishy washy half way opinion.

He told you exactly why certain things do and don't work and in what situations. So pretty much you're agreeing with ts, but you sound like you're disagreeing.

Cool.

I've tried to watch kickboxing and this really sucks. Fights are over before they feel like they've even started. What's the point of using technique in matches that short?

Yeah, it's ridiculous and looks unprofessional compared to it's other combat sport counterparts. Decades ago kickboxing used have the same length as boxing matches.

K1 striking is somewhat restrictive, MMA striking is not.

That said, there are plenty of moves from kickboxing (not so much K1) that have been effective. Silva's use of the Thai Plum for example.

If having a great wrestling base enhances your striking that much then perhaps parts of wrestling should be considered striking. More complete striking arts like SanShou do consider "grappling" to be striking and incorporate it accordingly.
It enhances striking by keeping you opponent guessing or focusing on defending the TD.

Prime Hendricks was a perfect example. High level wrestler that used wrestling offensively and was a person you did not want on top of you. He knocked a lot of guys out by them viewing his wrestling as his first threat and his striking as second.

OR...kickboxing just ain't shit any more so there hasn't been the influx of bodies/talent like there used to be.

Kickboxing gyms used to be the place to go. That was 30 years ago.

Stagnant shit.

Clueless.

Fact is if it was a street fight without gloves or any rules except u cant go to the ground.

MMAers and Boxers would kill K1 fighters in stand up.

Thanks for the laugh.

MMA striking is cringeworthy compared to boxing and k-1.

In the 90's there were Kickboxers and Thai fighters who are far better than today's standard. I remember seeing my old coach destroy a collar bone in the clinch using an elbow, you wouldn't see violence like that in today's game.

I thought the average height in the Netherlands was 6 foot?

The main reason why modern mma strking is better than k1 is because it require more footwork and distance fighting, but its forced to due to the glove size

Clueless.

giphy.gif

Relax and have some tea...<NoneOfMy>

No Dutch people are without a doubt larger, genes obviously play a role. But also: most immigrants eat their "own" diet, so they don't get the same amount of dairy most Dutch people get.

Not enough Beemster sandwiches.

Back