Mo vs Rampage same as Shad vs Rampage

Cygnus A

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I just got to watch the fight last night, and it struck me how similar these two fights were. Not only the fights, but the hype and build up leading up to them. Mo and Shad both claimed to want to beat up Rampage and trash talking went on for weeks, but when push came to shove neither wanted to risk damage and were content on holding him down.

Both fights were built up to be super fights and neither delivered.

I thought based on scoring criteria Mo should have gotten the nod, but that just exposes how bad scoring criteria is and needs to be reevaluated. Yet, I am glad the judges didn't reward lay-n-pray this time.

Rampage also talked the same shit about wanting to beat up Rashad and Mo and didn't succeed either. In fact, the more effective strikes in the Rampage/Rashad fight were landed by Rashad who clearly won his fight with Rampage. The Mo fight was closer but I too gave it to Mo.

Mo and Rashad are both point fighters who use the heavily favored towards wrestling MMA scoring to their advantage. If judges recognize TDs as being more effective than any other form of grappling then that's not on the fighters who lay-n-pray's fault, just saying.

It really has nothing to do with Rampage.

It's just how these 2 fight. They are very boring. They can talk the talk but never ever walk the walk.

It really has nothing to do with Rampage.

It's just how these 2 fight. They are very boring. They can talk the talk but never ever walk the walk.

It really has a lot to do with Rampage, but in a way that he can't really help. I kind of went over my opinion on this in a different thread, but I'm going to share it here too if no one cares..

Short arms and great strength. He's swinging for the fences mostly because people know that after they do anything, punch, kick, feint a takedown, get a takedown stuffed, anything...they just get backwards as fast as they can, and he cant reach you.

BUT take him down, and his strength nullifies all your leverage, his strength counters your strength and he can keep you in your same position. He can grab onto you and you can't move, you cant posture up, you can't do damage to him.

So the safest thing to do, when fighting Rampage is stay away from his punches or try to wrestle him. He can't threaten you from the ground with subs or anything. He's the ultimate nullifier. Everyone usually blames Rampage for it, saying things like "He needs to learn to stay off his back, and stop just head hunting" Without actually paying attention. They ignore the combos, and body knees and just watch him waiting for the counter.

He has to. Without even looking I'd say he's probably had a reach disadvantage in every fight he's been in since joining the UFC and Bellator other than maybe Hendo, Hamill, and Silva? Those are just guesses too. He can't be overly aggressive or he's going to get picked apart.

Wrong.

Shad actually inflicted some damage along with his humping.

209rgxk.jpg

Shad only caught him with the one punch at the beginning of their fight and then proceeded to wrestlefuck iirc. He almost got finished at the end of that one, too.

I had Mo/Page scored 2-1 for Mo, but was glad to see the judges score it for Rampage (who clearly inflicted more damage and pressed the action in the standup for the entire fight).

Shad only caught him with the one punch at the beginning of their fight and then proceeded to wrestlefuck iirc. He almost got finished at the end of that one, too.

I thought Rashad landed a bit more than just that opening punch that rocked Rampage to the ground. Was a while since I saw that fight but iirc, Rashad won the majority of the few stand-up exchanges. I could be wrong, though.

Even still, it was a clear cut victory for Rashad and IDK why it is so surprising for people to witness many MMA fighters with reasonable-solid wrestling try to take Rampage down and hold him down. The guy's TDD is average, at best. Why should a wrestler like a King Mo or Rashad stand and exchange with a dude who's finished so many fights by TKO or KO? I'm glad these guys take Rampage down and expose his weakness. Rampage should train harder on his TDD.

Last edited:
Even still, it was a clear cut victory for Rashad and IDK why it is so surprising for people to witness many MMA fighters with reasonable-solid wrestling try to take Rampage down? The guy's TDD is average, at best. Why should a wrestler like a King Mo or Rashad stand and exchange with a dude who's only real way of ever winning a fight is to knock the guy out? I'm glad these guys take Rampage down and expose his weakness. Rampage should train harder on his TDD.

Youre missing the point and grossly downplaying Rampage's TDD. (He stuffed most of Rashad's takedowns.)

Its not that anyone thinks its a bad idea to take him down, obviously its a good game plan. Its that Rashad and Mo both talked shit about standing and trading with him and neither attempted to do so.

Also, hes got a lot more wins than just by knocking someone out.

rashad and mo definitely had a similar strategy, shad is a much better striker than mo

Youre missing the point and grossly downplaying Rampage's TDD. (He stuffed most of Rashad's takedowns.)

Well, it has been a while since I saw the fight but Rashad had success taking Rampage down and controlling him. I may have downplayed Rampage's TDD but I won't definitely overrate it.

Its not that anyone thinks its a bad idea to take him down, obviously its a good game plan. Its that Rashad and Mo both talked shit about standing and trading with him and neither attempted to do so.

Rashad rarely ever stands and exchanges after being knocked-out by Machida. He still however landed a nice clean shot that rocked Rampage and had spurts throughout the fight where he was exchanging and, iirc, winning the majority (although few) up until the end where Rampage rocked Rashad.

Also, hes got a lot more wins than just by knocking someone out.

Who said he didn't? All I said was he won many fights by KO or TKO.

Nice edit to change your wording.

Bump. NVM. I did change that. That wasn't my intention to say what I did originally though that's why I didn't pick it up when you originally quoted me. I meant to say what it was I edited.

I didn't change my wording on the part you commented on regarding Rampage's finishes. You just misread.

Bullshit. You realize it doesnt change what you wrote when someone quotes the original post, right? This is what I quoted

Why should a wrestler like a King Mo or Rashad stand and exchange with a dude who's only real way of ever winning a fight is to knock the guy out?

This is what you edited it to say

Why should a wrestler like a King Mo or Rashad stand and exchange with a dude who's finished so many fights by TKO or KO?

Yeah, I know and I corrected myself. Read the post above. Although it was obvious that I watched the King Mo/Rampage fight that went to decision so what I originally quoted should have been obvious that I didn't mean he only ever won or can win by KO or TKO. You'd think you'd have picked up on that.

Since you didn't, justifies my reasoning for editing. Avoid any further confusion.

Yeah, I know and I corrected myself. Read the post above. Although it was obvious that I watched the King Mo/Rampage fight that went to decision so what I originally quoted should have been obvious that I didn't mean he only ever won or can win by KO or TKO. You'd think you'd have picked up on that.

Since you didn't, justifies my reasoning for editing. Avoid any further confusion.

You suck at back tracking.

You suck at back tracking.

No, you're just to busy lurking and finding mistakes in peoples posts before they're capable of noticing it for themselves. Although in this case, I actually noticed that error quite early and changed it almost instantly. Had it not been for a few spelling mistakes and the addition of a few more words, nobody would likely ever know I posted that to begin with.

No, you're just to busy lurking and finding mistakes in peoples posts before they're capable of noticing it for themselves. Although in this case, I actually noticed that error quite early and changed it almost instantly. Had it not been for a few spelling mistakes and the addition of a few more words, nobody would likely ever know I posted that to begin with.

You didnt change it until I called you out on your bullshit comment. Lets stop trying to point the blame my direction for your making a silly remark.

You didnt change it until I called you out on your bullshit comment. Lets stop trying to point the blame my direction for your making a silly remark.

Well it means little to me whether you believe me or not but you're wrong. I've seen a shit ton of Rampage's fights so I'm well aware that he won fights by decisions and finished fighters in ways other than punching them in the face (although some of those decisions being a bit controversial). Perhaps crediting yourself with things you in fact have no influence on helps you sleep better. Don't know, don't care. The reality is, I recognized the mistake which is why I was befuddled when you originally called me out on it because I did in fact edit it quite early after I noticed it for myself.

Back