MMA's most humble champion: Cain Velasquez

Cain's demeanor and personality is good in a sports sense, but the reality is, UFC doesn't appeal to sports fans, it's appeals to WWE fans and his personality is the kiss of death to UFC fans who want guys to be a character more than they want them to be a good athlete.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Reading on sherdog about people having a bland personality is strange to me when thought about in a broader sport context. I guess I think Tim Duncan is sort of a nerd, but I also think he is a guy with incredible integrity who would never make an excuse and is a consummate team guy... I suppose mma being an individual sport could be the difference when put into context of other sports. Do people like/dislike tennis players for being bland?

Jose-Aldo-WMMA-2010.jpg

Just because Aldo is Brazilian and you don't understand Portuguese doesn't mean he's not humble.

Jose Aldo - The most brutal yet humble fighter on the planet earth.

Jose-Aldo-WMMA-2010.jpg

Just because Aldo is Brazilian and you don't understand Portuguese doesn't mean he's not humble.

Jose Aldo - The most brutal yet humble fighter on the planet earth.

Thinking I might agree with this. As far as active fighters go, Jose is one of the most humble by far.

Most humble of all time still goes to Fedor.

Hughes was making fun of GSP for tapping in their first fight on TUF, and talked a bit of shit to BJ before their first fight.

Yeah Hughes was good at pretending.

Cain is a great champion, proud and while very confident in his skill he doesn't come across as a "**** guy" as our friend Werdum would put it.

That being said, the most humble champion in MMA that I've seen is still Fedor.

12_FEDOR_vs_WERDUM_P1Y1419_0.jpg

Honourary mentions to Rich Franklin.

Dont know why people are saying Hughes...he had a bit of an arrogant cocky jock persona about him but at times he did have his moments.

Fedor was pretty humble but he didn't really say much at the same time either.

The most humble and respectful champion ever was Rich Franklin.

Agree 100%. As far as reigning champs, I would go with GSP and Aldo.

Being cool, calm, and collected is boring? It's a respectable type of character. There exists all sorts of personality types and it would be boring if everyone acted the same.

I was kind of a Cain hater ever since the Kongo fight. I felt like he was overhyped and thought there was no way he'd run through him like everyone was saying. Needless to say I was dead fucking wrong and was pissed that he ended Kongos 3 fight winning streak. But damn man the way he destroyed JDS was impressive, I still wish JDS got the win but I gotta give it up to Cain dudes crazy and I am a fan.

Brown Pride? I woiuld say he is humble aside from that racist tatoo.

You never hear any racist language come out of Velasquez. It's not like you hear him chanting "brown pride" all belligerent. Most UFC fighters represent their homeland and I don't see people complaining when Brits wear the British flag on their body.

Back