MMA Primes < 10 Years (for Jones & Everyone Else)

Let's be honest they declined when they left pride and couldn't take whatever they wanted like Pride outright encouraged.
Fedor won 5 straight fights after PRIDE folded.

Nog won his first 2 UFC fights and became UFC champion. (Despite being clearly past his prime)

Cro Cop won his UFC debut but lost to Gonzaga. I would say his leg getting twisted, his other injuries and his 100+ fight career was more the reason he declined.

Besides, everyone in the UFC was on roids at that time. So are you saying the PRIDE guys stopped taking steroids but everyone else in the UFC was still on them?

Nobody can fight forever. Eventually all the greats slow down. Not everybody can be top 3 in the world for 7 years though. That's what makes them great

Jones beat DC twice, fair square. DC couldn't unanimously win a single round
Twice???? Fair square????

The second fight was changed to a No Contest because Jones had steroids in his system.

The first fight Jones had extremely suspicious testosterone levels.

It’s just a coincidence that he has looked like shit in his last 6 odd fights I’m sure.

Jones hasn’t had any big injuries
Pretty impressive to "look like shit" in his last 6 fights and go 6-0 with KO's over DC and Gus! I bet every fighter wishes he could look that shitty.<45>

I wish the younger generation would stop bringing up steroids.

Without steroids, there would be no MMA for you to watch...UFC woulda dieded a long time ago.
035brocklesnar_1327969808_0.jpg

I keep reading that Jones is only 32 and can't really be past his prime. This is coming from many of the same people who gave Fedor/Big Nog/Cro-Cop a pass for being "past their primes" in their early 30s.

Jones has been fighting for 12 years and did competitive wrestling before that. He's had more than twice as many fights as Reyes. The bottom line is no one stays in their prime for over 10 years. Look at Fedor, Aldo, Anderson, BJ and all other former champs. It's even true for GSP....once he hit his early 30s and had ACL injuries, he wasn't as good...even if he managed to beat Condit, Diaz and a few others in fights that were closer than they should've been. He peaked around 2009-2010.

It doesn't matter how young you were when you started MMA...everyone starts to slowly deteriorate mentally and physically in 10 years or less from reaching their elite status. Some (like Jones), lose their killer instinct. Others (like Fedor and Shogun) lose their desire to progress and fight technically and rely too much on brawling as they age. It seems pretty much impossible to stay incredibly hungry and in an elite mental and physical state for over a decade.
Years ago me and one of my coaches were discussing this and we actually came to the conclusion that most fighter have 10 good years and then they go downhill

Jones is way past his prime. His prime was 2011-2013.

You dolts need to stop thinking of prime as some long timeframe. In most cases, a fighter’s prime can be properly gauged to a specific 2-3 year span where their physical abilities, mental abilities and results all clearly indicate their highest level of performance.

That isnt to say said fighter wont or cant keep winning either, but it does not mean theyre still in any form of their absolute prime.

How do you know it's the same people who said Fedor, cro cop, and big big were past they're prime? Did you take a poll back then and now and compare in an Excel spreadsheet? Powerpoint? Please share these results.

Also, if you did, get a life

I doubt any such claims (exceptions perhaps) can be substantiated.

A case of pareidolia? Look into it

Simple heuristics and observing "generally accepted assumptions" from years of reading Sherdog. You telling me to "get a life" after that waste of 4 asinine sentences is comedy/irony gold.

Start a thread saying Fedor/Cro-Cop/Big Nog had no excuses for losing in their early 30 and see how many people agree with you.

That's what I thought lol

Sport has evolved, Reyes, Santos, Smith > manlets Shogun, Vitor, Rashad, Sonnen...

Simple heuristics and observing "generally accepted assumptions" from years of reading Sherdog. You telling me to "get a life" after that waste of 4 asinine sentences is comedy/irony gold.

Start a thread saying Fedor/Cro-Cop/Big Nog had no excuses for losing in their early 30 and see how many people agree with you.
BJ no.gif

wt.png

Another lie. The Pride HWs allegedly left their prime in their early 30s. In Cro Cop and Big Nog's case, it was around the beginning of 2007, the moment they signed UFC contracts. Before that everyone considered them "prime."

Stipe beat Fedor 2.0 (Cormier). Just 8 months after Bigfoot destroyed Fedor (who was still in his early 30s and "prime" for a HW), Cormier dispatched of Bigfoot easily in the 1st round.

The "part time fighter" part is irrelevant, but Stipe has always been a part-time fighter, part-time fireman as well.

Oh yeah. A consistent them here is that Anderson and Chuck Liddell (both lost belts at age 37-38) had no excuse for losing..they obviously just "weren't that good" and were still in their primes when they lost. And GSP (same ACL injuries as Shogun, but at a much older age) should come back and fight Usman, Khabib and Israel if he wants GOAT consideration. But Cro-Cop, Fedor and Big Nog? All three left their primes in their early 30s and no one is allowed to question it!!

And of course 41-year old Cormier has absolutely no excuse for losing to Stipe (despite a lifetime of wear-and-tear from wrestling at the highest levels and MMA).

Pretty impressive to "look like shit" in his last 6 fights and go 6-0 with KO's over DC and Gus! I bet every fighter wishes he could look that shitty.<45>

The fact you ignore his PED taking and robberies yeah that 6-0 looks real good

<36>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back