• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MMA NEEDS A "standing 8 count" ? FEDOR vs Bader

Fedor is one of my favorite fighters so I feel your pain. Having said that, the stoppage was completely justified and your idea of a standing 8 count for MMA is an absolutely horrible idea for the sport. Sometimes fighters lose, let's not fuck up the whole sport even further with stupid rules because of emotional reactions to such losses.

So why wouldn't it work?

Should they get rid of it in boxing?

I love Fedor and that fight broke my heart. But I would not have wanted it to continue. He was done.

The first shot flickered the lights and the 2nd shot broke the bulb. The 3rd and 4th shots were just breaking the glass into smaller pieces.

Fedor is one of my favorite fighters so I feel your pain. Having said that, the stoppage was completely justified and your idea of a standing 8 count for MMA is an absolutely horrible idea for the sport. Sometimes fighters lose, let's not fuck up the whole sport even further with stupid rules because of emotional reactions to such losses.

I'm not in pain I'm just disgusted by inconsistent refereeing.

watch fador vs mir... 7 punches before the ref stops the fight fador only got hit with two hard punches and 2 hammerfist taps before the ref stop that fight

Last edited:
I love Fedor and that fight broke my heart. But I would not have wanted it to continue. He was done.

The first shot flickered the lights and the 2nd shot broke the bulb. The 3rd and 4th shots were just breaking the glass into smaller pieces.

What it did was break my confidence in bellatores refereeing legitimacy watch the Frank Mir Fedor fight and count the punches

...dude, read the whole thread b4 you pop off!
or maybe you did and comprehension is the challenge!

LOL
I read your poorly thought out OP. It's retarded, and it's why there is no "standing 8 count" in MMA. The fact that you think you're the first to think of this idea, and that officials like Big John and many others who have been around boxing forever, didn't think about it, is hilarious.

An 8 count in MMA is absolutely retarded. If you need a man to pull your opponent off of you so that you get time to recover, you clearly aren't winning a fight. And you're stopping the opponent from doing further damage.

It's just plain stupid.

The last thing MMA needs are standing 8 counts.

I love fedor man but this is the most delusional thread ever

Firstly, are y'all confusing standing 8 counts with mandatory 8 counts?

I believe Shooto and Pancrase used to have 8 counts. Do current Sherdoggers know what they are?

Anyway, it seemed to break up the action too much - not so much in Pancrase, because of the wacky rules, but in Shooto, those standing to ground transitions suffered.

I'm not in pain I'm just disgusted by inconsistent refereeing.

watch fador vs mir... 7 punches before the rest stops the fight fador only got hit with two hard punches and 2 hammerfist taps before the ref stop that fight
I agree there is inconsistent referee decisions about all kind of things and I don't care for it either. What I don't agree with is that there should be a standing 8 count. It is an artificial interference in combat and it is unfair to the fighter who knocked their opponent down. I also think the Fedor stoppage was justified. I didn't like to see him lose, and certainly not in that manner, but he was in big trouble, unable to intelligently defend himself and Bader was 35 seconds into the fight, fresh, and in beast mode looking for the finish. I haven't heard about Fedor, or anyone in his camp protesting the decision to stop the fight, and I believe that is because they don't think it was premature.

What it did was break my confidence in bellatores refereeing legitimacy watch the Frank Mir Fedor fight and count the punches

Difference is even Mir takes punches better than Fedor at this point.

That same ref let mitrione take five or six unanswered full power punches before he stopped that fight

WTF

Fedor gets one hard shot and three egg cracker Hammer Fists and gets called out!!

That ref was on him as soon as he hit the ground even though he was sitting up

Dude, he flopped flat on his back and ate another clean bomb that landed flush while he was down. He may have recovered quickly afterward but since you’re a “referee”, I assume you are aware of flash KO’s and not every fighter needs to have rigor mortis in order to wave off a fight.

Difference is even Mir takes punches better than Fedor at this point.

how can you tell?
mir didn't twitch a muscle after the first of 7 strikes?

Mir was down on all fours so it diddent look as bad

to the Layman it looks a lot worse if your on your back like fedor was.

fedor was perfectly conscious immediately after the ref crawled off him...that was a crap stoppage

Dude, he flopped flat on his back and ate another clean bomb that landed flush while he was down. He may have recovered quickly afterward but since you’re a “referee”, I assume you are aware of flash KO’s and not every fighter needs to have rigor mortis in order to wave off a fight.

You ever heard of the saying "down but not out"??

I guess the new mantra in MMA is your out if you're down

Nerf fights!

https://www.fightsaga.com/tidbits-94758/item/3045-Flash-Knockdown-What-is-a-Flash-Knockdown

Last edited:
This fight made me want to puke!

Fador wasn't even rocked... he just got caught with a flash knockdown and sustained a pretty nasty cut. I've been knocked off my feet before in a fight.

They had another quick stoppage that night... this problem isn't unique to Bellator or UFC it's all about Ring sport politics.

These guys aren't in there fighting with knives!

If they could get an automatic rematch off a ref stoppage I'd be okay with it but they don't....they have to go through the entire political hoopla again.

I think the referee should have the ability to Halt a fight but not completely call it because of the potential corruption and snap judgement scenario. Not to mention all the phenomenal comebacks we've seen over the history of fighting Sports.

A great boxing coach once said....if you're really rocked 8 seconds doesn't matter.

So the question is how would this mechanically be possible ?

they could HALT the fight maintain position and ask the fighter if he wanted to continue...5 seconds max.

if he was unresponsive or clearly dazed THEN you waive it off...

I guess the most complicating scenario would be if the attacking fighter ignored the halt command and kept throwing and had to be pulled off his man...

let the grown man make his own freaking decision and don't jump in there like you're saving a little girl from a grizzly bear!

Serious injuries rarely happen from a few heavy blows whereas sustained damage over multiple rounds results in the VAST MAJORITY of serious injuries.

I have refereed before, its an extremely difficult job and you're guaranteed to piss somebody off sooner or later you couldn't pay me enough to do it professionally.

the ref was probably following protocol since Fador took that second shot while he was on the ground but in my opinion
That was a knock-down not a knockout... there's a big difference

So you want the ref to stop the GnP to check if the other fighter is able to continue??? Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds? When do they jump in?

A better (but still stupid) idea would be to let the fight go on until the fighter is completely KO'd. Like stiff as a board, Bisping vs Hendo/ Etim vs Barbosa KO'd.

giphy.gif

You ever heard of the saying "down but not out"??

I guess the new mantra in MMA is your out if you're down

Nerf fights!

https://www.fightsaga.com/tidbits-94758/item/3045-Flash-Knockdown-What-is-a-Flash-Knockdown
he was out. laying on the ground eating punches with arms straight down, not even reacting to protect his face, we're not talking about a conscious person. whether he's limp or not doesn't change it. he was definitely "clearly dazed", to describe it with words from your original post..

Last edited:
Yamasaki would have let Bader land a few hundred more punches.

Back