MMA media needs to ask Conor McGregor about sexual assault investigations

TheLinguist

You’ve yee’d your last haw
Banned
Reaction score
As per bloody elbow:

The UFC has scheduled a pre-fight press conference for UFC 246. At that event – which takes place on Thursday, January 15th – the headlining fighters on the card, Conor McGregor and Donald Cerrone will sit in front of what can only be assumed will be a plethora of MMA and mainstream reporters. And while the UFC can be criticized for many things, one thing the promotion has always been very good at during these pre-fight events is controlling the access media.

The UFC sometimes uses threats to control the people covering their events live. Those threats can be implied or stated outright. I’ll use myself as an example of the latter. In 2019 I wrote a story that a UFC employee did not appreciate. I did agree that I should have added context to that story. So I did. When the update was not sufficient for this PR person, he threatened me via email. Below is the final email that was sent to me before I stopped replying:

“You barely updated this post. The headline is still misleading. WTF? I know you were credentialed for one of our events this year. If this is going to be your approach to coverage, don’t even bother asking next time.”

True to its word, the UFC denied my two most recent requests for credentials. Let me rephrase that. I was told – less than 24 hours before the event – that my first request was denied due to space constraints. My second request sat in “submitted” status until the day after the fight card when it magically disappeared. I have not requested credentials since. (You can read a more detailed story here)

The MMA media that craves access knows this happens. They know if they refuse to play nice, they might join Josh Gross, Loretta Hunt, Jonathan Snowden and myself on the list of folks who can’t get credentialed to a UFC event for whatever silly reason.

The UFC has also reportedly told media members not to ask certain questions. This situation most notably occurred at the UFC 231 press conference in 2018, when the UFC announced the booking of Greg Hardy on the same upcoming card (UFC on ESPN+ 1) as domestic abuse survivor Rachael Ostovich. The obvious question was how could the UFC book Hardy, who a judge found guilty of assault and communicating threats to his former partner (charges were later dropped when the victim failed to appear in court, charges were later expunged) on the same card as Ostovich, who is a domestic abuse survivor. No questions were asked about Hardy at the press conference, however. Later it was revealed that a UFC employee gave the media the impression that they were to ask only questions about UFC 231. A media member who was in attendance said this request was made very close to the event and that timing prevented them from reaching out to their editors or the Mixed Martial Arts Journalists Association.

The MMAJA asked the UFC about the incident. The UFC claimed it was a miscommunication.

After reports from media on site today at the UFC 231 press conference, the MMAJA is looking into a situation in which reporters felt they were unable to freely ask questions.

MMAJA has been in touch with UFC PR, which said their intention was for reporters to focus their questions on Saturday’s card and away from other topics.

UFC said they did not direct the media to avoid specific subjects, but that was the impression felt by several MMAJA members credentialed for the event.

Given the miscommunication MMAJA is seeking to secure a remedy with the UFC.

Any journalist covering a mixed martial arts event, whether they are a member of MMAJA or not, should be able to ask relevant questions during public media events, particularly regarding newsworthy items.

Though the media on-site followed UFC’s message, which was issued moments before the start of the press conference, MMAJA wants to make it clear that any media member would have been well within their rights to do otherwise.

This organization exists to help working journalists in the MMA space. Fundamental to that is ensuring access to the subjects they have been assigned to cover.

We trust the UFC understands that facilitating the work of reporters is a much better option than restricting the work of reporters, and will take care to express its intentions to the MMA media with this in mind.

UFC president Dana White and some UFC fighters have also berated media members when asked questions they did not like. A not so subtle form of media intimidation.

Which brings us back to the UFC 246 pre-fight press conference and McGregor.

McGregor has not spoken about the two sexual assault investigations that are focused on him in Ireland. The UFC knows that question could be the first one to arise at Thursday’s event. But there’s an excellent chance the UFC will get in front of that issue. One way the UFC could do that is by giving ESPN access to McGregor before the event so he can answer the question. Seeing as that interview, if it does happen, would take place in a controlled environment with McGregor knowing the question is coming, any response there would have to be considered a calculated PR move involving McGrgeor, the UFC and ESPN—the UFC’s broadcast partner.

If McGregor answers the question in that environment, the UFC could shut down anyone asking that same question at the UFC 246 pre-fight press conference. The promotion and McGregor could claim he already gave an answer and that his response is not going to change.

And while that may be the case, if such a situation does arise, someone from the MMA media still needs to ask that question. A more or less scripted question asked in a safe and friendly environment might not get the same response in an arena full of media and fans, some of who might not be fans of McGregor.

I want to see McGregor answer the question in that environment because I believe we all, fans and media alike, deserve to hear his words and see his reaction in a high-pressure ‘real’ situation. It’s also important to see and hear how he handles any follow up questions.

The MMA access media needs to be more than transcriptionists for what the fighters and the UFC say. The media need to do the hard work and ask the hard questions, especially those who call themselves journalists. On Thursday, those hard questions need to focus on Conor McGregor.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/1/...estigations-ufc-246-dana-white-donald-cerrone

What do you think guys

As per bloody elbow:

The UFC has scheduled a pre-fight press conference for UFC 246. At that event – which takes place on Thursday, January 15th – the headlining fighters on the card, Conor McGregor and Donald Cerrone will sit in front of what can only be assumed will be a plethora of MMA and mainstream reporters. And while the UFC can be criticized for many things, one thing the promotion has always been very good at during these pre-fight events is controlling the access media.

The UFC sometimes uses threats to control the people covering their events live. Those threats can be implied or stated outright. I’ll use myself as an example of the latter. In 2019 I wrote a story that a UFC employee did not appreciate. I did agree that I should have added context to that story. So I did. When the update was not sufficient for this PR person, he threatened me via email. Below is the final email that was sent to me before I stopped replying:

“You barely updated this post. The headline is still misleading. WTF? I know you were credentialed for one of our events this year. If this is going to be your approach to coverage, don’t even bother asking next time.”

True to its word, the UFC denied my two most recent requests for credentials. Let me rephrase that. I was told – less than 24 hours before the event – that my first request was denied due to space constraints. My second request sat in “submitted” status until the day after the fight card when it magically disappeared. I have not requested credentials since. (You can read a more detailed story here)

The MMA media that craves access knows this happens. They know if they refuse to play nice, they might join Josh Gross, Loretta Hunt, Jonathan Snowden and myself on the list of folks who can’t get credentialed to a UFC event for whatever silly reason.

The UFC has also reportedly told media members not to ask certain questions. This situation most notably occurred at the UFC 231 press conference in 2018, when the UFC announced the booking of Greg Hardy on the same upcoming card (UFC on ESPN+ 1) as domestic abuse survivor Rachael Ostovich. The obvious question was how could the UFC book Hardy, who a judge found guilty of assault and communicating threats to his former partner (charges were later dropped when the victim failed to appear in court, charges were later expunged) on the same card as Ostovich, who is a domestic abuse survivor. No questions were asked about Hardy at the press conference, however. Later it was revealed that a UFC employee gave the media the impression that they were to ask only questions about UFC 231. A media member who was in attendance said this request was made very close to the event and that timing prevented them from reaching out to their editors or the Mixed Martial Arts Journalists Association.

The MMAJA asked the UFC about the incident. The UFC claimed it was a miscommunication.

After reports from media on site today at the UFC 231 press conference, the MMAJA is looking into a situation in which reporters felt they were unable to freely ask questions.

MMAJA has been in touch with UFC PR, which said their intention was for reporters to focus their questions on Saturday’s card and away from other topics.

UFC said they did not direct the media to avoid specific subjects, but that was the impression felt by several MMAJA members credentialed for the event.

Any journalist covering a mixed martial arts event, whether they are a member of MMAJA or not, should be able to ask relevant questions during public media events, particularly regarding newsworthy items.

Though the media on-site followed UFC’s message, which was issued moments before the start of the press conference, MMAJA wants to make it clear that any media member would have been well within their rights to do otherwise.

This organization exists to help working journalists in the MMA space. Fundamental to that is ensuring access to the subjects they have been assigned to cover.

We trust the UFC understands that facilitating the work of reporters is a much better option than restricting the work of reporters, and will take care to express its intentions to the MMA media with this in mind.

UFC president Dana White and some UFC fighters have also berated media members when asked questions they did not like. A not so subtle form of media intimidation.

McGregor has not spoken about the two sexual assault investigations that are focused on him in Ireland. The UFC knows that question could be the first one to arise at Thursday’s event. But there’s an excellent chance the UFC will get in front of that issue. One way the UFC could do that is by giving ESPN access to McGregor before the event so he can answer the question. Seeing as that interview, if it does happen, would take place in a controlled environment with McGregor knowing the question is coming, any response there would have to be considered a calculated PR move involving McGrgeor, the UFC and ESPN—the UFC’s broadcast partner.

If McGregor answers the question in that environment, the UFC could shut down anyone asking that same question at the UFC 246 pre-fight press conference. The promotion and McGregor could claim he already gave an answer and that his response is not going to change.

And while that may be the case, if such a situation does arise, someone from the MMA media still needs to ask that question. A more or less scripted question asked in a safe and friendly environment might not get the same response in an arena full of media and fans, some of who might not be fans of McGregor.

I want to see McGregor answer the question in that environment because I believe we all, fans and media alike, deserve to hear his words and see his reaction in a high-pressure ‘real’ situation. It’s also important to see and hear how he handles any follow up questions.

The MMA access media needs to be more than transcriptionists for what the fighters and the UFC say. The media need to do the hard work and ask the hard questions, especially those who call themselves journalists. On Thursday, those hard questions need to focus on Conor McGregor.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/1/...estigations-ufc-246-dana-white-donald-cerrone

What day you sherdog? Just forget that this guy has been accused of rape?

Or should the mma community actually start pressuring the UFC?

MMA needs Conor so it's best that the UFC and the media stay on his good side. He also hasn't been charged with anything because everyone knows the girl is just trying to get money from Conor

MMA needs Conor so it's best that the UFC and the media stay on his good side. He also hasn't been charged with anything because everyone knows the girl is just trying to get money from Conor

Except we don't know that yet do we

Police reports show she was heavily assaulted and the manlet allegedly was the guy that committed the crime

Innocent men shouldn't be offering hush money in the millions

It's a legal issue, he's probably under instruction from his lawyers not to talk about it.

He hasn't been charged with anything so the MMA media should report on MMA.
They won't get to the bottom of any allegations whether they're true or not in a press conference so it's just pointless grandstanding.

I don't know if tabloids get invited to the presser, but maybe they do.

Anyone with any sense knows that innocent or guilty Conor cannot talk about these allegations if there is any ongoing investigation, so it would be incredibly irresponsible to question him about it.

It would also be morally wrong until any charges had been brought.

Last edited:
As per bloody elbow:

What do you think guys
Dont the courts handle dis kind of ting.

UFC will go any distance, break any barrier, to protect Conor.
Some assholes on Sherdog forums would do the same.

It might be asked at the press conference, but unless it's Ariel I don't see it happening, they wouldn't jeopardize being invited again for something this silly.

I think you are dumb enough to believe if the questions get asked that there would be any type of meaningful answer. Let's be honest man this whole thread is just about you not knowing what alleged means.

Mma media are the worst

everyone knows the girl is just trying to get money from Conor

if an internet shitposter like you knows this then why are the people directly involved in it performing a legal investigation? perhaps you should share your evidence with them?

/worthless post that disregards the seriousness of rape

Sounds like some twink trying to make a name for themselves.

Except we don't know that yet do we

Police reports show she was heavily assaulted and the manlet allegedly was the guy that committed the crime

Innocent men shouldn't be offering hush money in the millions
Funnily enough I heard you were a peado, and I'd love nothing more than to watch you accused infront of a live audience and millions across the world on TV and internet, it doesn't matter that legal advice and Irish law will prevent you from defending yourself against these allegations without opening the door to the world media who are correctly gagged either by law or threat of a civil lawsuit from naming the accused, your silence on the issue will lead to idiots online asking why you haven't denied it.

Now I have no idea if there's any truth to the allegations that you are a peado or that Conor is a rapist, if it is true I hope you both suffer everyday of the rest of your lives but I do know that there is more of an incentive to make up or exaggerate an interaction with Conor than there is with you, on that basis i'd say since allegations have been made against both of you and there's no financial incentives for the ones against you I'd have to summarise that you are much more likely to be a peado than Conor is rapist...

Please tell us more about how you can shake people off money with phony accusations in Ireland. What exactly in Irish law allows this?

Unless he's been instructed by his lawyers not to talk about this, I see no reason why the allegations are off limits. Hopefully one journalist will have the guts to ask.

It's pretty obvious what happened. You know how most pedophiles got molested as a kid, well Conor's alleged raping came straight after Khabib butt fucked him. You see the pattern?

Back