MMA gloves vs Boxing gloves

My aunt was dating Oliver McCall for quite sometime. You know him right? EX Heavyweight champ....KO Lenox Lewis....cried in the rematch. I guess it has more than one reason, but that don't make me stupid. But my point was made cause some think it is the glove making that hiss. But it also helps the cardio. Maybe your AMATEUR teacher left that part out.

Too many fuckin "prove the world wrong" jerks on this site.

So your argument against a guy that actually competes is: "My aunt dated Oliver McCall"?:rolleyes:

I've never played football either, but I own a football. Don't have to train MMA to get hit by a pair of MMA gloves. You can get as many pair as you want on the internet.

So if you've never played football or MMA, that means that somebody that has actually played football or trained in MMA is more credible and more knowledgeable than you.

Physics also dictates that jet fuel (KEROSENE) can't melt steel and that a 110 story building can't pancake collapse in only 10 seconds without the aid of explosives.

But it did!

What is your theory for that Thomas Edison?

WTF? What? It wasn't kerosene that melted the steel you dumb idiot. If there's enough heat, stell will melt, everything has a melting point. Are you trying to disprove physics now?

So if you've never played football or MMA, that means that somebody that has actually played football or trained in MMA is more credible and more knowledgeable than you.

WTF? What? It wasn't kerosene that melted the steel you dumb idiot. If there's enough heat, stell will melt, everything has a melting point. Are you trying to disprove physics now?

1)Steel melts at 2850 degrees.
2)Jet fuel is only high grade Kerosene.
3)NO OPEN FIRE CAN BURN HIGHER THAN 1200 DEGREES no matter what's burning.
4)Steel is only melted in steel mills that PUMP more oxygen into the burner increasing the temp to 2850 to make steel melt. That temp can't be achieved outside the burner with no oxygen pump.
5)WTC 1, WTC 2, and WTC 7 are the ONLY STEEL FRAMED BUILDINGS IN THE HISTORY OF MAN KIND to fall because of fire. And WTC 7 didn't get hit by no plane.
6)110 story building fell in 10 seconds. A golf ball dropped from 110 stories would hit the ground in 10 seconds. With 73 undamaged floors on one building and 81 undamaged floors on the next building to give a pancake collapse (straight down onto itself) resistance....how did they fall at free fall speed like the golf ball with nothing but air between 110 stories and the ground?

But we were told the fires brought them down.:rolleyes: And you say I'm trying to disprove physics? :redface:

I agree with the thread starter, boxing gloves offer more protection for the fighters hand and allows him to throw more punches and prolongs his boxing career. There are even different gloves for boxers and sluggers. In terms of punching power Id rather get hit by a 4 ounce glove, all id have to do is duck under a little bit and let him hit the top of my forehead its the hardest part of the skull and theres a chance a guy with 4 ounce gloves injures his hand. A boxer w/ 14 ounce gloves can just hammer away witout any damage to his hands.

Boxing gloves have so much padding causing them to soften the blow since it creates a softened impact, as well as disperse it over a larger area. I can't believe this thread is still alive.

Honestly, I've never been hit with a gloved fist before, I don't train in any combat sport. But just going by the facts, how many 1 punch KOs are there in boxing compared to MMA, and how the hell did rope-a-dope work without Ali being KO'd? I think its obvious that 4oz gloves carry much more KO power than 10oz or heavier boxing gloves. Whether that has to do with surface area or the padding of the glove, I'm not in position to have an opinion on that. People have taken facial beatings in boxing and survived without being ko'd that are just not possible with 4oz gloves from what I've seen.

Well honestly, the rope-a-dope works partly because the gloves are so much bigger. MMA gloves slip through a guard much more easily.

4)Steel is only melted in steel mills that PUMP more oxygen into the burner increasing the temp to 2850 to make steel melt. That temp can't be achieved outside the burner with no oxygen pump.

But we were told the fires brought them down.:rolleyes: And you say I'm trying to disprove physics? :redface:

yes, steel becomes liquid at 2850 degrees, steel loses structural integrity at less than 1200 degrees.

you lose, go make more tinfoil hats

10 oz is more than you might think.

14-4 for those of you who suck at math and thinking.

what do you think would hurt more, getting smacked in the face with a 4 oz balsa wood rod, or a 14 oz spruce rod?

beyond that there are too many factors like pressure/sq in/sq in. it all comes down to how you get smacked.

and purely subjectively, look at the number of one/two punch KOs in MMA vs boxing...

the answer is: there is no answer.

5)WTC 1, WTC 2, and WTC 7 are the ONLY STEEL FRAMED BUILDINGS IN THE HISTORY OF MAN KIND to fall because of fire. And WTC 7 didn't get hit by no plane.
6)110 story building fell in 10 seconds. A golf ball dropped from 110 stories would hit the ground in 10 seconds. With 73 undamaged floors on one building and 81 undamaged floors on the next building to give a pancake collapse (straight down onto itself) resistance....how did they fall at free fall speed like the golf ball with nothing but air between 110 stories and the ground?

LAME

guess you missed the fire in oakland where a truck crashed into the San Fran bay Bridge. it was carrying gasoline. it caught fire UNDER the bridge onramp. No even contacting the bridge.

the flames weakened the steel enough that it collapsed. And it had no where near the same amount of weight on it that WTC did.

change your brand of tin foil hat.

ps. LAME

The smaller the glove the less the padding

Just finished working on "Fight Science" a few weeks ago. We had Bas Rutten on as well As Randy Couture, and some others. We had Bas hit a bag with 10oz boxing gloves, 4oz mma gloves, and bare handed. We then measured the force of each hit. Bare handed delivered the most force, then mma, then boxing glove. Them's the facts.

Tommy Morrison in a recent interview about his MMA, I mean cage boxing fight, said that he would have rather worn boxing gloves than the MMA gloves. The reason he said that was because he was afraid that he would seriously hurt his opponent.

Now, even though Tommy is not a liked guy on here, he is still more knowledgable on boxing and more importantly punching, than any of us on Sherdog.

I dont want to sound like an idiot but i think you totaly wrong.

I have trained in a fightes class for Kickboxing and Boxing sparring with ametuers helping them train for there fights. I trained with 16 ounce gloves though not 12-14. I can tell you that unless u get hit sweetly or hit by a much bigger guy with those gloves it just shakes you up abit nothing more and you can take alot more punishment.

Getting hit with mma gloves although i have never trained mma i can only imagine would rock the hell out of you. I dont think you realise how much the added padding takes out of punch. The only down side is that the gloves make the hits heavier b/c of the added weight but there is not as much sting in the punches.

so if thats the case, you trained kick boxing/boxing. you never actually faught in amateur boxing/kick boxing and or spared. i would much rather get punched by a mma/ufc fighter then a amateur boxer/pro boxer. take a guy like chuck liddle for example. not gonna say i wont get hurt by someone like chuck liddle. i will tell you though my training in amateur boxing will deflect alot of the power he gets in his over hand punches. yes he can knock me out if he hits my temple/jaw. my point is that the typical mma fighter throws rediculous punches (chuck, forrest, shogun, wandy, bonnar, and so on). a boxer throws punches through your skull oppose to being thrown at you. you dont have to throw a punch wildly to knock someone out. i'm an amateur boxer 4-0 and i train mix martial arts bjj, judo, muay tai. i spared in both and i am telling you the amateur in the 4ounce mma gloves didnt hit as hard as my amateur boxer sparing partner in 9ounce gloves. why? because he spends more time on punching and in doing so he punches through opponents oppose to wild over hand punches thus throwing accurate punches. i've spared professional mma fighters and in comparison they still dont hit as hard as my sparing partner who happends to be canadian light heavey weight champion. in the end, it all evens out. the power punches in boxing are harder and so they use heavier gloves. mma hit lighter and they use lighter gloves. ppl talk about how amazing chuck is and all (not gonna rip him, he's too easy of a target) but i mean, good striker was prime tyson. guaranteed tyson hit harder with 16ounce gloves then chuck does with 4ounce gloves.

LAME

guess you missed the fire in oakland where a truck crashed into the San Fran bay Bridge. it was carrying gasoline. it caught fire UNDER the bridge onramp. No even contacting the bridge.

the flames weakened the steel enough that it collapsed. And it had no where near the same amount of weight on it that WTC did.

change your brand of tin foil hat.

ps. LAME

Guess you missed the fire to the 32 story steel framed scyscraper in Madrid 2 years ago. The fire burned for 20 hours. The building didn't come crashing down into dust. They put a crane on the roof a week later to start rebuilding it. Pretty strong after a 20 hour fire to support a crane.

1)WTC's burned for 1.5 hours.
2)The first building hit....was the second to fall.
3)You still didn't comment on how they fell so fast. Same speed as if falling through air.
4)You still didn't comment how the WTC 7 fell without getting hit by a plane.......5 hours after the first 2 fell.
5)No steel framed building in the history of the world we live in has ever fell because of fires. Yet we get 3 in one day to fall. WTC 3, 4, 5, and 6 were right under the Twin Towers and got destroyed....yet the frames still stood. They had to be demolished. WTC 7, the newest and furtherest away from the Twin Towers turned to dust without the planes hitting them.

Looks like I'm winning this one hommie. Your turn. But before you insult me with the tin foil hat thingy, comment all those points for me will ya, without defying physics....then call me whatever you want.

unless your a fighter and knows what it feels like to get hit by boxing gloves AND mma gloves dont post here thinking you know what your talking about, and i'm not just talking about go out and grab some gloves and try it, i'm talking about real fighters, who train with these things everyday because unless your a fighter, the reality is you dont have a clue

PLease let this thread die!!

and what's the point arguing this anyways??
I think people are just bored at home, and want to talk about something apparently.

Back