Elections Mitch McConnell stepping down from GOP leadership in November

Well, at least some geriatrics know when to call it a day. Granted, it took two televised "incidents", to perhaps push him over the edge, but good for him nonetheless. Can that dust farting Chuck Grassley dude do the same? That motherfucker is just gonna close his eyes one day, and in a sitcom like situation, some doctor is gonna rush up to the podium, take his pulse, and declare he's dead.

I think the real problem is the voter base. Nothing is going to change as long as the voters remain the same. And the problem there, IMO, is the combination of low trust in non-partisan sources of information (MSM, academia, gov't-collected stats, etc.) and the existence of an alt-media sphere dedicated to keeping them scared and believing crazy stuff about their opposition.
Are you expecting the rest of the voter base to just conform to an establishment that hasn't inspired confidence in them in over 25 years?

How do you combat an uninformed population?

The alt right are pretty successful demonizing education. It’s an uphill battle at this point,

There’s retards in this thread that believe the President caused inflation to happen.
It's not that they're uninformed, though. They're misinformed. And more than that, they see politics as a game, and they don't really even want to know the actual truth. It's like going up to a kid with a blanket tied around his neck and saying, "you're not actually Superman; you're just a 7-year-old boy who any adult could beat up."

Are you expecting the rest of the voter base to just conform to an establishment that hasn't inspired confidence in them in over 25 years?
The phrasing is odd and disconnected from what I said. I just said people don't believe non-partisan sources and they have alternative sources that lie to them. That's an obstacle for people who prefer reasonable decision-making and discussion.

It's not that they're uninformed, though. They're misinformed. And more than that, they see politics as a game, and they don't really even want to know the actual truth. It's like going up to a kid with a blanket tied around his neck and saying, "you're not actually Superman; you're just a 7-year-old boy who any adult could beat up."

That’s fair. I do think the issue is media and being allowed to create this us vs them narrative. The other side gets demonized to the point where there can never be any compromise.

I remember watching videos of hardcore conservatives thinking that the ACA and the idea of it was great, but when being told it’s obamacare they just hated it.

I think Rick Scott will be the one to replace him.

Wow though. McCarthy and other top house reps gone or not running again. Ronna out at the RNC, and now Mitch.

Great news all around!
Hope it's Ted Cruz and not any of these rhino cans that have been mentioned.

He’s still really young in turtle years. Way too young to retire

McConnell is 82 but he is stepping down as Speaker come November elections.

Says his Reganite foreign policy views are not what the GOP base wants now. They want Trump / Maga foreign policy.

Senator Mitch McConnell, the longtime top Senate Republican, said on Wednesday that he would give up his spot as the party’s leader following the November elections, acknowledging that his Reaganite national security views had put him out of step with a party now headed by former President Donald J. Trump.

“Believe me, I know the politics within my party at this particular time,” Mr. McConnell, who turned 82 last week, said in a speech on the Senate floor announcing his intentions. “I have many faults. Misunderstanding politics is not one of them.”

I don’t see him actually stepping down from anything. I see him going catatonic again and getting carried out

• Haha
Reactions: N13
I would say newt Gingrich and mitch are the most destructive politicians in the modern era. They are the reason congress doesn’t work together anymore

the average lifespan of a tortoise is between 80 - 150 years. some species are known to have reached up to 250 years.

mitch is barely in his prime. he's still got plenty more years to stifle the democrat agenda. thats what he was put on this planet to do.

Last edited:
Somehow I doubt he survives til then

Well, at least some geriatrics know when to call it a day. Granted, it took two televised "incidents", to perhaps push him over the edge, but good for him nonetheless. Can that dust farting Chuck Grassley dude do the same? That motherfucker is just gonna close his eyes one day, and in a sitcom like situation, some doctor is gonna rush up to the podium, take his pulse, and declare he's dead.
Another reason he is stepping down: NYT article says that Mitch is stepping down because he realizes his Reagnite foreign policy outlook is out of step with the Trump supporting GOP base.

Senator Mitch McConnell, the longtime top Senate Republican, said on Wednesday that he would give up his spot as the party’s leader following the November elections, acknowledging that his Reaganite national security views had put him out of step with a party now headed by former President Donald J. Trump.

“Believe me, I know the politics within my party at this particular time,” Mr. McConnell, who turned 82 last week, said in a speech on the Senate floor announcing his intentions. “I have many faults. Misunderstanding politics is not one of them.”

--

He stepping down as leader of the GOP, but staying in Congress till 2027

Mr. McConnell had said that he would serve out his full Senate term ending in 2027, but had been more opaque about whether he would try to remain leader after November.

Time to hit the trail and do book deals and interviews #thegriftneverends

the average lifespan of a tortoise is between 80 - 150 years. some species are known to have reached up to 250 years.

mitch is barely in his prime. he's still got plenty more years to stifle the democrat agenda. thats what he was put on this planet to do.

He just wants to go back to his swamp to live out his last 70 years. 🐢

It’s surreal watching the effect Trump has on the Republican posters in here. Most of them are shitting on McConnel when he’s done way more to further their goals than any other politician. We watch the shift in opinion happen too, as no one talked like this prior to Trump having a tantrum and burning McConnel.

I’m definitely glad to see him go. As a leftist or a centrist, that makes sense. As a die hard conservative it makes no sense and it’s kind of hilarious watching

He is stepping down as leader of the GOP

He will remain in the Senate till 2027 . He will be 85 then.

Back