Miracle Drug: Liposomal Vitamin C

Come on man. Look at the average supermarket. The supplement/herb aisle is huge. It's a huge industry. My dad buys a lot of this shit. Probably takes like 5 different things a day. It may help, but the science just isn't there. Also, I think a lot of these supplements are sold by big pharma too. Though I agree that some of these supplements, like zinc for example, can help with colds. And are better than mainstrean stuff like sudafed.

I disagree. I think there's plenty of science that show's the worth of vitamins and supplements, and plenty of 'science' that tries to discredit the worth of vitamins and supplements. To say 'the science just isn't there' is ridiculous.

I disagree. I think there's plenty of science that show's the worth of vitamins and supplements, and plenty of 'science' that tries to discredit the worth of vitamins and supplements. To say 'the science just isn't there' is ridiculous.

Obviously the body needs vitamins and deficiencies cause problems, but miracle drugs they are not.

What specific conditions are you saying it treats? It may help with some, but the cold thing is where it ishttp://www.cdn.sherdog.net/forums/images/darkinferno/editor/separator.gif most hyped and the evidence there is not good.

It's been shown to kill cancer cells, treat cardiovascular disease, improve mental focus, and so on. It really just helps your entire body from head to toe. Again, we're not talking about over the counter type vitamin C, we're talking about Liposomal Vitamin C which has had it's lipid wall broken down, allowing for higher bioabsorbtion. This is a relatively recent technique.

Obviously the body needs vitamins and deficiencies cause problems, but miracle drugs they are not.

So you've switched from the asinine 'there's no science to back up vitamins' to 'vitamins aren't super drugs'.

I'm done here.

Vitamin C makes you trip harder.

So, it's got that going for it.

Here's the stuff I ordered-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MBE6WQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00

41R%2Bt1r9IzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OUPJ8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

41gsI4p7PsL._SY450_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OUMVO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

31V%2B2ugXpBL._SY450_.jpg

All of it just showed up in the mail and I'm excited. I'm going to mix some up later tonight and I'll post the results tommorow.

The only peer reviewed work TS cited above is on the effects of Vit-C on a specific type of tumor under a specific condition in mice, and the authors go on to say:
The authors do caution that while vitamin C is still essential for good health, this study is preliminary and people should not rush out and buy bulk supplies of antioxidants as a means of cancer prevention.

The other sources relating to antioxidants on workers exposed to massive amounts of radiation, that is great if you are at extremely high risk for radiation damage which would probably be your main concern - I mean massive amounts of ethanol is good if you drank antifreeze, but not great for overall health.

What I am saying is it might be a little preliminary to dowse your body with massive amounts of anything...

RE: colds, there are studies that show echinacea, zinc, have some effect, but as soon as they do a double blind study the signal is gone. Is there an effect? Maybe. But a lot of it is likely placebo if not experimental error.

Last edited:
Here's the stuff I ordered-

All of it just showed up in the mail and I'm excited. I'm going to mix some up later tonight and I'll post the results tommorow.

I'm curious...what results do you expect? What is your control to know whether or not the mixture is helping/hurting you or just acting as a placebo?

So you've switched from the asinine 'there's no science to back up vitamins' to 'vitamins aren't super drugs'.

I'm done here.
*glances at thread title*

The vitamin C idea is very old but the science still doesn't back it up.
I seriously doubt his intention was to imply that vitamin C supplementation is an ineffective treatment for scurvy. He's obviously referring to the idea that taking massive dosages of certain vitamins improves health in people who aren't deficient.

*glances at thread title*

I seriously doubt his intention was to imply that vitamin C supplementation is an ineffective treatment for scurvy. He's obviously referring to the idea that taking massive dosages of certain vitamins improves health in people who aren't deficient.

Yeah, the exchange him and I had included him commenting on the prevalence of vitamins on grocery store shelves, so we obviously weren't limiting ourselves to the subject matter of the OP or thread title, but thanks for interjecting, very informative!

What specific conditions are you saying it treats? It may help with some, but the cold thing is where it is most hyped and the evidence there is not good.

using high doses of vitamins can and will treat depression and some lower level mental illnesses. Not saying everyone should take 10,000x doses of vitamins but for those who seek treatments outside the norm they have and will continue to work in the future for some ailments.

totally agree with you about the cold stuff, people will buy into any idea to get rid of the common cold, but the best thing to do is just wait it out. my fiancee used to take all these pills and everything and she would get sick 3-4 times a year. i havent been sick in 3 years and i like to credit it to the fact that I dont take pills for anything except extreme pain, at which i have taken 1 Oxycontin and 1 advil in 6 years.

the problem with sites like wiki are that instead of using reputable sources who know what they are speaking of, in this case an MD with knowledge of nutrition and general health they use sources like psychiatrists in order to prove a slanted point.

Dr. Stephen Barrett should never be brought up in response to the subject because frankly he doesnt know shit.

I'm curious...what results do you expect? What is your control to know whether or not the mixture is helping/hurting you or just acting as a placebo?

I hope for an increase in energy level, improved mental acuity, a better feeling of general wellness. I don't really have a control to speak of, I'm not really sure how I'd establish one, seeing as how I'm the only person engaging in the experiment. I like to think of myself as fairly level-headed, so hopefully placebo effect won't be an issue, although I realize that it's not really something you can control.

Why not eat a grapefruit and a few oranges every day?

An average orange contains about 70 mg of Vitamin C, in order to ingest the amount of Vitamin C I'm aiming for (about 5 grams a day), I'd have to be eating something on the order of 70 oranges a day.

I do love citrus, but to be honest, I just don't have that kind of cash allowance available in my fruit budget.

the problem with sites like wiki are that instead of using reputable sources who know what they are speaking of, in this case an MD with knowledge of nutrition and general health they use sources like psychiatrists in order to prove a slanted point.

Dr. Stephen Barrett should never be brought up in response to the subject because frankly he doesnt know shit.

I thought the wiki article was a pretty objective overview, is all. As miracle drugs go, megadose vitamin C is kinda old hat, and the article gives a bit of background in case some posters thought that this was some sort of new "discovery".... at least it gives context.

I thought the wiki article was a pretty objective overview, is all. As miracle drugs go, megadose vitamin C is kinda old hat, and the article gives a bit of background in case some posters thought that this was some sort of new "discovery".... at least it gives context.

Again, as I've pointed out multiple times in the thread, the difference is that this is Liposomal Vitamin C, combining not only Vitamin C, but essential phospholipids as well. This is a new technique that's only been developed in the last 5 years.

He came to realize that the combination of vitamin C and essential phospholipids radcially improved cellular bioavailability. Less than 20 percent of IV C gets into cells. But the Lypo-Spheric compound permits 90 percent of the C to get into cells. That's because cell walls are made of fats. Vitamin C is water soluble.

Tiny particles of vitamin C coated with phospholipids create molecules of vitamin C coated with a substance similar to the cell walls. Thus those coated vitamin C molecules can slip into the cells easily. The encapsulation also avoids diarrhea thresholds of normal oral C.

Again, as I've pointed out multiple times in the thread, the difference is that this is Liposomal Vitamin C, combining not only Vitamin C, but essential phospholipids as well. This is a new technique that's only been developed in the last 5 years.

it really isn't that different. You can still compare a bioavailable dose from either approach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back