Mir Shoulder Lock

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is this something that is taught in BJJ? I couldn't find it on bjj.org and have never seen it before. Was this something that is taught in any grappling circle, or something Mir just created?

For those who don't know, I am referring to the shoulder crank Mir used on Pete Williams.

It's an esoteric technique but Mir certainly wasn't the first to use it. He popularised it, much like Nog and the "anaconda" choke

Its kinda like one of those knife/gun-disarming techniques you see in films, I;m sure you's know the one

I love this move.

I use it as much as I can, problem is its hard to get!!!

you have guard,
you over hook your arm over theirs
then you grab both of your hands and wrench his arm.
crank it the same way you would do a key lock (americana) but your hand
positions are totally different, and you got the guard.

you probably seen it done as a self defense move standing.

I learned it From top of side mount if someone rolls to their side...My instructor called it a treebranch.

VampireMonk said:
you have guard,

Yeah, I use this one now and again, dont find it to be the most useful move I've got but every now and again it seems to just fall into place.

it's a move that mir should have never caught pete in. don't get me wrong, i say more power to mir for getting it, but you won't see it much because it won't work very often.

i remember the look on pete williams' face when mir had it cranked. ouch!

Plus Pete is a reasonable good grappler. Not a easy submission to apply but works.

Does anyone have a pic of him doing that to Pete Williams???

Low success percentage move. You are better off learning the basics with high percetage success.

Thought this would be a decent bump since Mir is fighting tonight and we just happened to have worked a variation of this move in class today from top half guard. I got Barnett via GNP tonight but I would love to see a sub from either guy.

Ossss!

you have guard,

This?

http://www.lockflow.com/overhook-shoulder-lock

Would throwing the right leg in this video create an armbar situation for the shoulder lock isn't working for some reason?

Frickin hate this move although it's effective if timed right. I had a guy crank this on me and both my shoulder and elbow popped loudly. I was able to get back on the mats in like two weeks, but that arm has never been the same.

Back