Social Military having Recruitment Woes

If you think think the Navy is "Jack of all trades" when it comes to broad training...
So, all this falls under the U.S. Navy:
. Marines
. Coast Guard (wartime)
. Merchant Marine (wartime)
* Also, why is there no Navy National Guard?

Just peacetime?
How does the issue get sorted out during wartime?

Well yeah, usually during justified wars there is no shortage of young men willing to go be heroes and fight in place of our dear old leaders. That and by forcing currently enlisted troops to extend their active duty contracts until the war machine get's started back up. Standards go up when they want to get rid of people. Standards drop when they want more people.

Peacetime? No tattoos. No DUIs. Clean records. Need high school diploma.

Wartime? Non-violent felon? Sure come on in. Face tattoos? Yeah be a grunt. Questionable mental health? Didn't see that medical record!

Navy, Coast Guard, Marine Corps all have reserve components. Army has both reserve and National Guard as well as the Air Force. I know the Army has certain components that are Reserve and certain ones that are NG. For instance, infantry is an NG component, there is not infantry in the Army Reserve.
Navy not having NG is more a tradition I think, dating back to old school days.

Bry

. Marines
. Coast Guard (wartime)

Yes during war and (this is important) operating in theater the USCG falls under navy command.

They are not normally a part of it, but their own separate armed force that now operates under DHS (used to be DoT, long time ago was deparemt of Treasury)

We are not Navy, ever....even when we have to answer to them.....

Does the GI bill even cover a bachelor’s degree fully?
Yes.

They'll cover most of it, but not all

Post 9/11 will cover 36 months of education. Just from my personal experience I completed my bachelors (3 semesters) and my graduate degree in that 36 months. Didn’t pay a penny out of pocket for those degrees.

Blows my mind that he's defending the Sodexo chow halls.

Right? Or just ignoring how many guys have to live in utter dogshit conditions in a barracks or ship.

That's the military though. Never accept responsibility.

Right? Or just ignoring how many guys have to live in utter dogshit conditions in a barracks or ship.

That's the military though. Never accept responsibility.
The double standard is amazing. AC out in the barracks? Who cares. AC out in base housing? Must be fixed ASAP.

Yes during war and (this is important) operating in theater the USCG falls under navy command.

They are not normally a part of it, but their own separate armed force that now operates under DHS (used to be DoT, long time ago was deparemt of Treasury)

We are not Navy, ever....even when we have to answer to them.....

Pretty similar to Navy when it comes to structure, history, ranks/pay grades, etc.

They should hire Master P to do recruiting videos. That should solve it.

Pretty similar to Navy when it comes to structure, history, ranks/pay grades, etc.

From an outsiders perspective I can see that, but historically and real world it's not really, aside from being a sea going service with the same paygrade structure.

Last edited:
We should just get it over with and start learning Chinese right away.

. Marines
. Coast Guard (wartime)

That is a really long and complicated answer that has to do with the fact there were colonial militias and those militia's became the National Guard and the Navy does not have an equivalent tradition. Remember the national guard is part of the state government until called by the federal government

How does America fight the next war? Do we have to bring back the draft? This excerpt is likely the most troubling issue.

A modest recruiting bump from snappy ads the service ran before screenings of “Top Gun: Maverick” helped a bit, he said. But the general pointed to larger, longer-term concerns about the shrinking pool of young Americans who are both able and willing to serve. In recent years, the Pentagon has found that about 76 percent of adults ages 17 to 24 are either too obese to qualify or have other medical issues or criminal histories that would make them ineligible to serve without a waiver.

And what the military calls propensity — the share of young adults who would consider serving — has fallen steadily for several years. It stood at 13 percent before the pandemic began, General Thomas said, but is now 9 percent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/14/us/us-military-recruiting-enlistment.html

These are tough times for military recruiting. Almost across the board, the armed forces are experiencing large shortfalls in enlistments this year — a deficit of thousands of entry-level troops that is on pace to be worse than any since just after the Vietnam War. It threatens to throw a wrench into the military’s machinery, leaving critical jobs unfilled and some platoons with too few people to function.

Covid-19 is part of the problem. Lockdowns during the pandemic have limited recruiters’ ability to forge bonds face to face with prospects. And the military’s vaccine mandate has kept some would-be troops away.

The current white-hot labor market, with many more jobs available than people to fill them, is also a factor, as rising civilian wages and benefits make military service less enticing.

But longer-term demographic trends are also taking a toll. Less than a quarter of young American adults are physically fit to enlist and have no disqualifying criminal record, a proportion that has shrunk steadily in recent years. And shifting attitudes toward military service mean that now only about one in 10 young people say they would even consider it.

To try to counter those forces, the military has pushed enlistment bonuses as high as $50,000, and is offering “quick ship” cash of up to $35,000 for certain recruits who can leave for basic training in 30 days. To broaden the recruiting pool, the service branches have loosened their restrictions on neck tattoos and other standards. In June, the Army even briefly dropped its requirement for a high school diploma, before deciding that was a bad move and rescinding the change.

The Army is the largest of the armed forces, and the recruiting shortfall is hitting it the hardest. As of late June, it had recruited only about 40 percent of the roughly 57,000 new soldiers it wants to put in boots by Sept. 30, the end of the fiscal year.

ADVERTIS

Having twins that age I find it hard to believe that only 25% are physically eligible, but more importantly I noticed some things not listed that might hamper recruiting - a general wokeness, the recent witchhunt of certain political views, and the lack of care given veterans.

Not sure about his case but I got about 36 credits transferred alone due to military experience / military classes.

Did you get credits for Daycare Management 101, Anything Is Food if You're Hungry Enough 201, and Murdering the Enemy 500?

Back