News Mike Perry “I used to be great”

Perhaps if he got with a serious gym and learned how to take directions/criticism with a serious work ethic and discipline he could make waves again or at least tread water....... I don't see it happening - Perry's his own most deadly opponent and sadly the damage is showing.

80JircZ.gif

It's actually really said to hear anyone say "I used to be yadda yadda. I don't know what happened." That's some deep depression and a cry for help.

Prediction: he spends the next 5 years being a punching bag in various promotions, most fights are highly entertaining whether he wins or loses. Years 5-7 he films himself in the eye of the hurricane of substance abuse, sad but entertaining to the masses. Years 7-10 his name is but a whisper on Sherdog until he’s found dead and people relive his “highlights” and gets the “legend” label.

Book it.

This guy was never good to begin with. Shouldnt even be in the UFC a guy without fighting skills that its a bit crazier than the normal guy and reached there cause of it

thats why great is very subjective. he made it to the ufc, and yes he was definitely a better version of himself. he had the potential to be a top 10 guy imo, but I dont see him staying in the ufc much longer, and that could be a good thing for him. let him go to a lower tier org. and try to rededicate himself.

Needs more pointy elbows. He killed Jake Hamburger with it before... still an all-time top performance, brutal

His longest UFC win streak was two fights and came against people who did not belong in the UFC.

Someone mentioned it was surprising that he deteriorated to the point of losing to Tim Means - as though a 15-9 UFC veteran wouldn't routinely beat the shit out of Perry at any point in time. Mike had a punchers chance in all his fights then and now. He has generally lost to the guys who are actually UFC caliber fighters.

These are his UFC fights and their respective UFC records:

WIN - Hyun-Gyu 3-4
WIN - Roberts 6-5

LOSS - Jouban 8-5
WIN - Ellenberger 10-11
LOSS - Ponzinibbio 9-3
LOSS - Griffin 5-6
WIN - Felder (fought a lightweight, split decision)
LOSS - Cerrone 23-12
WIN - Oliveira 11-7
LOSS - Luque 13-3
LOSS - Neal 5-1
WIN - Gall 5-3
LOSS - Means 15-9
LOSS - Rodriguez 4-1

He isn't any worse then he was 10-15 fights ago. Perry will still knockout green fringe talent like Gall or the ghost of Jake Ellenberger if you let him fight those types of guys again.

Last edited:
Platinum should be proud, he has his chick that will ride with him through the downs. Dude needs to think more positive about the things he has achieved.

Maybe not great, but definitely a better version of himself. His fight against Luque is the best example.
His loss to Luque will probably be his best performance.

Prediction: he spends the next 5 years being a punching bag in various promotions, most fights are highly entertaining whether he wins or loses. Years 5-7 he films himself in the eye of the hurricane of substance abuse, sad but entertaining to the masses. Years 7-10 his name is but a whisper on Sherdog until he’s found dead and people relive his “highlights” and gets the “legend” label.

Book it.

You could say that for a lot of athletes where pain and pain management drugs are involved. In Mike’s case that you’ve detailed, the only thing I would disagree with is the timeline. I’d knock 3 years off each time period you’ve outlined. I hope it’s a rosier outcome because I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

Back