Might make trip to Texas, what is Austin's No Gi/MMA scene like?

DanTheWolfman.com

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Might make trip to Texas, what is Austin's No Gi/MMA scene like?

quality of gyms and instruction? gyms friendly to each other or hateful? Is there any local MMA events?

Anyone dabble in the Acting/Stunt/Background acting world down there?

What is Austin like in general for those that live there or have visited? What you like and dislike?

What are people's other favorite cities in Texas? If were going to take a trip to three cities, which would you choose and why?

Cheers

As of the 2010 census, Austin is 6.3% Asian. Who are you kidding

I dropped in at Paragon BJJ Academy in Austin. Training was excellent, and the owner (Prof. Rob) was very welcoming.

I'd highly recommend them, and will train there again when I go back.

thnx, Read a lot of yelp reviews, does seem Paragon is well liked.

From what I can tell most the BJJ schools seem like the mostly Gi, no Gi just once a week type schools....

and the few MMA/Fitness places seem to be No Gi classes, but wondering how good those are.

Do not see any gyms that are like core No Gi/MMA focused without being a rara fitness or crossfit place....

Last edited:
Isn't there an Austin 10th Planet ran by Onnit or some shit?

Yep. And most other places have no go at least every other night. There's also a Sambo club at Eastside Elite that does a lot of folk styles (in addition to the normal samba/judo/BJJ/no-gi, they've had people competing in Greco, Sumo, Shujiao, Belt wrestling and catch), and are generally just really open to trying/adapting to any ruleset.

I'm an instructor at Paragon. No gi classes are Wednesdays from 6 p.m.- to 8 p.m. Class is about 40 minutes with an hour and twenty minutes of straight sparring. We turn off the A/C, so get ready to sweat and bring a towel. Temperatures are in the high 90's/100 now.

Mattemate trains a Integracao which is a great club. Then you also have Gracie Humaita, EAE, Brazilian Top Team, Cooper, 10th Planet, Gracie Barra, Brazilan Fight Factory, etc. There are TONS of schools here to be honest.

EAE does no gi everynight and the insrtuctor Derrick is very cool.

I have lived here since 99. Our city is a gem, but it has now become overcrowded with horrible traffic.

I'm an instructor at Paragon. No gi classes are Wednesdays from 6 p.m.- to 8 p.m. Class is about 40 minutes with an hour and twenty minutes of straight sparring. We turn off the A/C, so get ready to sweat and bring a towel. Temperatures are in the high 90's/100 now.

Mattemate trains a Integracao which is a great club. Then you also have Gracie Humaita, EAE, Brazilian Top Team, Cooper, 10th Planet, Gracie Barra, Brazilan Fight Factory, etc. There are TONS of schools here to be honest.

EAE does no gi everynight and the insrtuctor Derrick is very cool.

I have lived here since 99. Our city is a gem, but it has now become overcrowded with horrible traffic.

Just keep the swimmin' spots a secret and we can still be friends. And invite that Brazilian chick back.

Thanks guys,
Knock Out Ned, thanks, sounds very hot/sweaty lol,

A guess the EAE Sambo Classes or just nightly No Gi (or are they same thing?) sounds interesting. Is it just mixed grappling, kinda whatever they feel like working on, open to all grappling kinda place? EAE hosts some amatuer fight nights? Is the Sambo in Kurtka very good/fun/interesting and how hard is the throws on the body-is it too much bang on this tired out body?

I think I read one post saying Toby Imada was coaching there? I thought he was from Wisconsin...I think I reffed a Pro grappling match he had many years ago

Is there any Pro MMA events often in Austin?

Any info on BFF or BTT as far a No Gi and how often?

Is there almost too many places, or does the 1Mil people in city, and 2M including all surrounding support all the schools?

Currently I am around Portland, and well, kinda the Keep Portland Weird is a bit too damn weird for me, nose rings, hoops, and crap. Call me old school, but we get some grapplers at my favorite jitz gym, that I think came from 10th or go to both, and I find it kinda damn obnoxious to have guys wearing skin tight pants with my lil ponie or cupcakes and shit, no cup, with their balls hanging out, trying to wrap legs around me. Grappling already looks a bit Romo, I really dont want my Manly Grappling Time to be so Romo Weird, and the other old school NHB guys at that gym feel the same way. (if you are literally Romo or 50% Romo that's ur Romo perogative, I still dont want to see that tight weird crap on anyone's balls hanging out as if that were somehow funny) Wear some shorts, and damn cup, and mouthguard without trying to stand out like a girl at yoga. Wash ur hair and shit.

Anyway, is Austin Weird less than Portland Weird? Counter Culture with a purpose, more than facebook post knowledge, and real philosophy is one thing. Oh look at me I am so weird yet hypocritical about stuff is stupid.

In General, is the Austin Lib vibe kinda good to balance Good Ol Boy Texas....like is it a nice middle of ground blend and still Texas, or is it too Lib/weird? Will I know I am in Texas in Austin, but just kinda feel like a more worldly place?

Anyone got carry permit and doing open carry there? Or LongGuns in rack in your pickup? (actually think you could prob. find some sweet El Camino's there with little rust, I mean, if the Hermaphrodite of automobiles is good enough for Archer......)

Just wondering about other big cities and what people feel are the general differences? Where else in Texas do you guys like and if you visited 3 places where would that be?

Anyone here that can compare Austin/Texas, to say Denver, Portland, or Phoenix areas would be appreciated?

How much to rent a bedroom in someone else's place there? Or how much a normal one bedroom apartment prob just on the outskirts of the city?

Last edited:
http://brazilianfightfactory.com No Gi schedule is here. Rodrigo is legit, and Tim Kennedy trains there semi-frequently (although I understand his main grappling home is Gracie Humaita)

EAE the Sambo and BJJ classes have different instructors, but the mats are so big they can hold both at once.

Cool thanks,
Yeah realized Kennedy around there yesterday when watching some Invicta, apparently he is just crushing power strong, would be interesting.

So at EAE Derrick is good No Gi instructor? How is the Sambo do you know? Always wanted to throw on a Kurtka, but not sure if want to take huge throws.............

I've never trained with Derrick, Richard is the Sambo coach, and he's better at teaching and instructing in general than most grappling instructors i met (his day job is working in an alternative learning center). His guys do well when they compete, in the short time they've been active they produced a guy who won the Belgian open, and they do well at local Judo competition.

Thanks,
So is EAE ur main gym then, for fitness and Sambo? have u been to any of the others?

Right now I'm only training at work with the Rodrigo from BFF, but I go to open mats with the sambo guys sometimes since Richard is a friend of mine.

Cool, sounds like a good mix, thanks for the responses. Any general feelings on Austin and how long u lived there?

Sambo is part of Hayastan training so I am down, I trained a few days w Oleg T. back in the day, and Really the type of RMA I do that people bag on, well, that style really is one of the three pillars of Sambo, with the other two having been primarily Japanese Judo trained guys. A lot of Propoganda later took place

Currently I am around Portland, and well, kinda the Keep Portland Weird is a bit too damn weird for me, nose rings, hoops, and crap. Call me old school, but we get some grapplers at my favorite jitz gym, that I think came from 10th or go to both, and I find it kinda damn obnoxious to have guys wearing skin tight pants with my lil ponie or cupcakes and shit, no cup, with their balls hanging out, trying to wrap legs around me. Grappling already looks a bit Romo, I really dont want my Manly Grappling Time to be so Romo Weird, and the other old school NHB guys at that gym feel the same way. (if you are literally Romo or 50% Romo that's ur Romo perogative, I still dont want to see that tight weird crap on anyone's balls hanging out as if that were somehow funny) Wear some shorts, and damn cup, and mouthguard without trying to stand out like a girl at yoga. Wash ur hair and shit.

LOL

Anyway, is Austin Weird less than Portland Weird? Counter Culture with a purpose, more than facebook post knowledge, and real philosophy is one thing. Oh look at me I am so weird yet hypocritical about stuff is stupid.

Austin is supposedly more weird in the public sense of the terms, but I don't think the gyms are like that. FTR, I have friends that go a lot who live in other parts of Texas, but I haven't been.

@ens189 is a Texas grappler.

Fwiw Dan, "keep Portland Wierd" was stolen by the owner of music millennium years ago from Austin. It's probably as bad or worse for trustafarians and hipsters than Pdx. Plus you've got SXSW to contend with every year.

im in the same boat. Hang in there amigo

"Keep Austin Weird" was particularly a movement about the way city development should be managed to preserve the atmosphere of 70's/80's Austin. It was primarily anti-growth.

Since the city more than tripled in size, I'm gonna say that "Keep Austin Weird" was less influential than given credit for.

We'd be honored to have a distinguished guest like yourself at Gracie Barra El Paso.

Back