Might make trip to Texas, what is Austin's No Gi/MMA scene like?

Perhaps you're better suited for Dallas, home to boat loads of anti-pc patriots and thin skinned, childish buffoons like yourself. Why choose to go from one 'weird' town to another famously weird town? #makeamericawolfmanagain

What gym in Portland are you training at that you think is 'Portland weird'? That doesn't mesh with my experience in the Portland grappling scene for the past 7+ years AT ALL. Even the Portland 10th Planet guys are basically cool as shit.

But by all means, take your super secret submissions to Austin. Portland grappling likely didn't realize you arrived and won't notice you left.
portlander checking in, tho I don't grapple anymore. Still have friends in the Mma and jits community

I train at Paragon. Awesome school. All the instructors are high level. Lots of one on one with instructors so no details are missed. Really good training partners. Mostly gi school but really good no gi class that a lot of people show up for.
Ive trained at eastside too. Eastside has lots of good training partners. The classes are bigger so you dont get as much one on one instruction but still really good. Derick is awesome. The Sambo club at eastside is really good as well. Richard is a great teacher and has tons of knowledge on the art. Also you get to learn things you most likely arent going to learn in a bjj class. Mostly no gi school.
I have done a few drop ins at 10th planet too. Completely no gi. Not as many good training partners but definitely growing. A lot of pro fighters connected with onnit drop in there. Curtis is a really good teacher. Very welcoming group of people. Totally different style of bjj so its cool to check out and pick up new things.
I dont think youll be disappointed with any of these schools.

Perhaps you're better suited for Dallas, home to boat loads of anti-pc patriots and thin skinned, childish buffoons like yourself. Why choose to go from one 'weird' town to another famously weird town? #makeamericawolfmanagain
Your thinking of some of the Dallas suburbs (Mesquite, Irving, Garland).

The city of Dallas itself doesn't meet the description you listed (tons of democrats, gays, and Jews). Tons of wealth/success in Dallas as well (10 miles stretch from downtown to the north dallas border, the average house price is over half a million dollars).

There isn't going to be mass amounts of dumb redneck buffoons in Dallas (i'm assuming you've never even visited the city)

Just move to New York. It matches everything you asked for and you don't have to deal with Austin traffic (you just have to deal with annoying people on the trains).

I train at Paragon. Awesome school. All the instructors are high level. Lots of one on one with instructors so no details are missed. Really good training partners. Mostly gi school but really good no gi class that a lot of people show up for.
Ive trained at eastside too. Eastside has lots of good training partners. The classes are bigger so you dont get as much one on one instruction but still really good. Derick is awesome. The Sambo club at eastside is really good as well. Richard is a great teacher and has tons of knowledge on the art. Also you get to learn things you most likely arent going to learn in a bjj class. Mostly no gi school.
I have done a few drop ins at 10th planet too. Completely no gi. Not as many good training partners but definitely growing. A lot of pro fighters connected with onnit drop in there. Curtis is a really good teacher. Very welcoming group of people. Totally different style of bjj so its cool to check out and pick up new things.
I dont think youll be disappointed with any of these schools.

thanks for the nice report

Still do not really understand the different areas of Austin, is there somewhere kinda cheaper to live but not totally ghetto? Like N,S, E,W etc.....how do diff. areas breakdown?

Last edited:
Back