Economy Microsoft Reportedly in Process of Buying TikTok as Trump Administration Mandate Sale

I think we all know who is to blame for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: PEB
I heard there was a Sherdog app before? Why not integrate TikTok into the Sherdog app so that Sherdoggers can take selfies and videos of themselves lipsynching and dancing like a retard?

Last I knew you'd need a change of policy. Moderation disallowed me from starting a show your picture thread here.

Not a fan of balkanising the internet by government mandate. Playing tit for tat with the great firewall of China and their social media censorship is a losers game. It's a shame the general public won't simply avoid using facebook and tiktok when presented with the facts about their data security and privacy. Not surprising though, as shameless self promotion is what these forms of social media are all about.
Privacy seems to be something few people are concerned with these days.

Not a fan of balkanising the internet by government mandate. Playing tit for tat with the great firewall of China and their social media censorship is a losers game. It's a shame the general public won't simply avoid using facebook and tiktok when presented with the facts about their data security and privacy. Not surprising though, as shameless self promotion is what these forms of social media are all about.
"but but but I only use them to keep in contact with friends and family, I hardly ever go on there!"

"but but but I only use them to keep in contact with friends and family, I hardly ever go on there!"

That excuse only really applies to facebook, but there's even corporate facebook policies these days. Some of which have included "friending" your employer. If that's not enough reason to avoid a platform there's no hope.

Should just nuke it in general. The app, not China.
tenor.gif

?
You do know that advertisers pay for user data to target their ads right? How is that going to be non-profit when you're selling data?
Long as they can prove their primary purpose is providing a public charitable service and the revenue generated is only or primarily used to continue this service, it qualified as a non-profit.

Chinese apps and telecos are a security issue though. This new US policy is focused targetting.

Chinese apps and telecos are a security issue though. This new US policy is focused targetting.

It's little different to what China has done with facebook. Same game.

It's little different to what China has done with facebook. Same game.
China censors social media to prevent its citizenry from viewing and creating content deterimental to the CCP. The US wants to ban TikTok because they fear the CCP has access to user data. The US is not trying to stop people on social media from criticising the US government.

China censors social media to prevent its citizenry from viewing and creating content deterimental to the CCP. The US wants to ban TikTok because they fear the CCP has access to user data. The US is not trying to stop people on social media from criticising the US government.

China banned facebook because they were providing user data to the US government and wouldn't provide it to them.
Likewise when Trump started moaning about twitter, Twitter International was formed in Ireland and kept all the tweets originating outside the US on servers there. It's the same game and has the same effect in terms of the internet.

China banned facebook because they were providing user data to the US government and wouldn't provide it to them.
Likewise when Trump started moaning about twitter, Twitter International was formed in Ireland and kept all the tweets originating outside the US on servers there. It's the same game and has the same effect in terms of the internet.
China bans most social media and Western websites, from FB to Google to Reddit to Twitter to CNN and many others. They may claim they only wanted the data, but seeing that China is a 1 party state with severe curbs on freedom of expression, it is more plausible their real reason was to prevent Chinese citizens from expressing views and viewing content the CCP sees as threatening to national security and social harmony.

This is all about Trump's ego. Tik Tok users crushed his ego at Tulsa rally. He doesn't actually give a fuck about spying, our own government does enough of it on its own citizens.

I just can't support banning stuff, I thought we were all supposed to be against this? I hear people saying stuff like good it sucks anyway but what if it was something you enjoyed using?

China bans most social media and Western websites, from FB to Google to Reddit to Twitter to CNN and many others. They may claim they only wanted the data, but seeing that China is a 1 party state with severe curbs on freedom of expression, it is more plausible their real reason was to prevent Chinese citizens from expressing views and viewing content the CCP sees as threatening to national security and social harmony.

I'm not saying the CCP is morally equivalent to western governments, I'm saying that when Governments mandate what companies do with their data it simply leads to that data going elsewhere when it applies to those outside the country and the balkanisation of access and user experiences.
It was entirely commendable for Facebook not to provide user data to the CCP for protesters in Hong Kong or Xinjiang independence activists. However their collaboration with US intelligence agencies in PRISM was highlighted by Snowden, so this is very much tit for tat. The same applies with Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, Tunisia, Burma and both Koreas. The "splinternet".

Personal data will be the most valuable strategic resource in the next 20 years, surpassing oil. Instead of giving it to a Chinese company, you can now give it to an American company.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/31/mic...-not-be-strategic-but-a-good-deal-anyway.html

Look, if they are going to take personal information on me, then they better take my dick size too,

I'm not saying the CCP is morally equivalent to western governments, I'm saying that when Governments mandate what companies do with their data it simply leads to that data going elsewhere when it applies to those outside the country and the balkanisation of access and user experiences.
It was entirely commendable for Facebook not to provide user data to the CCP for protesters in Hong Kong or Xinjiang independence activists. However their collaboration with US intelligence agencies in PRISM was highlighted by Snowden, so this is very much tit for tat. The same applies with Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, Tunisia, Burma and both Koreas. The "splinternet".

but isn't this ban over two different things??? China does not want its people to get the truth.

But the issue with TikTok is that the app is taking data from whatever is on the phone and the worry is that a government official phone has this on and china gets secrets?
It is not like google trying to market to you, or showing news without censorship, but it is the app (tiktok) getting potentially sensitive gov info?

How dare you call Tik Tok the Chinese Tik Tok. ~signed dumbocrats

Back