Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Economy Microsoft Reportedly in Process of Buying TikTok as Trump Administration Mandate Sale

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Orgasmo, Jul 31, 2020 at 3:15 PM.

1. skysolo Clowning Scooter Dweebs

Land of willies, fake thugs and rapper-dons
    I think we all know who is to blame for this.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 1:45 AM
    PEB likes this.
  2. Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

Last I knew you'd need a change of policy. Moderation disallowed me from starting a show your picture thread here.

3. Bia White Belt

that's like all games are.

ShinkanPo likes this.
  4. Ruprecht Hands Of The Judges Staff Member Senior Moderator

Not a fan of balkanising the internet by government mandate. Playing tit for tat with the great firewall of China and their social media censorship is a losers game. It's a shame the general public won't simply avoid using facebook and tiktok when presented with the facts about their data security and privacy. Not surprising though, as shameless self promotion is what these forms of social media are all about.
    Privacy seems to be something few people are concerned with these days.

5. Curmudgeon Brown Belt

"but but but I only use them to keep in contact with friends and family, I hardly ever go on there!"

6. Ruprecht Hands Of The Judges Staff Member Senior Moderator

That excuse only really applies to facebook, but there's even corporate facebook policies these days. Some of which have included "friending" your employer. If that's not enough reason to avoid a platform there's no hope.

Cubo de Sangre and Curmudgeon like this.
  7. goldennirvana Satanic black magic!

Do these people not realise how pathetic they look? Grow up.

8. Headkicktoleg Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

[​IMG]

9. Headkicktoleg Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Obviously

Cubo de Sangre likes this.
  10. MicroBrew Titanium Belt

Long as they can prove their primary purpose is providing a public charitable service and the revenue generated is only or primarily used to continue this service, it qualified as a non-profit.

11. MicroBrew Titanium Belt

Chinese apps and telecos are a security issue though. This new US policy is focused targetting.

12. Ruprecht Hands Of The Judges Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's little different to what China has done with facebook. Same game.

13. MicroBrew Titanium Belt

China censors social media to prevent its citizenry from viewing and creating content deterimental to the CCP. The US wants to ban TikTok because they fear the CCP has access to user data. The US is not trying to stop people on social media from criticising the US government.

14. Ruprecht Hands Of The Judges Staff Member Senior Moderator

China banned facebook because they were providing user data to the US government and wouldn't provide it to them.
    Likewise when Trump started moaning about twitter, Twitter International was formed in Ireland and kept all the tweets originating outside the US on servers there. It's the same game and has the same effect in terms of the internet.

15. MicroBrew Titanium Belt

China bans most social media and Western websites, from FB to Google to Reddit to Twitter to CNN and many others. They may claim they only wanted the data, but seeing that China is a 1 party state with severe curbs on freedom of expression, it is more plausible their real reason was to prevent Chinese citizens from expressing views and viewing content the CCP sees as threatening to national security and social harmony.

16. Zazen Brown Belt

This is all about Trump's ego. Tik Tok users crushed his ego at Tulsa rally. He doesn't actually give a fuck about spying, our own government does enough of it on its own citizens.

I just can't support banning stuff, I thought we were all supposed to be against this? I hear people saying stuff like good it sucks anyway but what if it was something you enjoyed using?

17. Ruprecht Hands Of The Judges Staff Member Senior Moderator

I'm not saying the CCP is morally equivalent to western governments, I'm saying that when Governments mandate what companies do with their data it simply leads to that data going elsewhere when it applies to those outside the country and the balkanisation of access and user experiences.
    It was entirely commendable for Facebook not to provide user data to the CCP for protesters in Hong Kong or Xinjiang independence activists. However their collaboration with US intelligence agencies in PRISM was highlighted by Snowden, so this is very much tit for tat. The same applies with Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Vietnam, Tunisia, Burma and both Koreas. The "splinternet".

18. Rocco Siffredi Green Belt

Look, if they are going to take personal information on me, then they better take my dick size too,

but isn't this ban over two different things??? China does not want its people to get the truth.

But the issue with TikTok is that the app is taking data from whatever is on the phone and the worry is that a government official phone has this on and china gets secrets?
    It is not like google trying to market to you, or showing news without censorship, but it is the app (tiktok) getting potentially sensitive gov info?

19. uppercutbus Silver Belt

Especially watching sportsball. :cool:

20. BIKES! So then I said... Platinum Member

How dare you call Tik Tok the Chinese Tik Tok. ~signed dumbocrats