Michel Pereira Defies Critics: 'That’s My Style and It Won’t Change'

What do you make of Michel's style?

• Total voters
I like his style.
Autistic fans obsessed with "records" contribute to make MMA boring.
Well,yeah but if you keep losing,eventually the sthtick gets tiresome. He could do some of that stuff and still fight...but he is more concerned with putting on a show then winning. That cant last.

Entertaining for about 2 minutes and then pretty awful there after. He either will get a highlight reel KO or descend into a slop fest. It’s a really dumb strategy but I guess he’s not really interested in being the best.

Please don’t change your style, sherdog has a need for new and fresh gifs.
Thank you,
Sherdog commuunity

Im gonna go with a mix between annoying and interesting.

Like Anderson's antics in the Maia fight. It gets old fast,and you aint gonna have cardio to keep that up.

But its still kind of strange to see someone so doggedly stick to this nonsense just to see how far it goes.

I agree - except Anderson kept clowning almost until the end (I think he pretended to abide by the ref’s warning), whereas Pereira turned into a panic wrestler after 5 minutes.

The other difference (and I realize I may be straying from your original point) is that underneath his clowning, Anderson still has solid fundamentals, whereas Pereira seems to have no concept of boxing except winding telegraphed hooks.

Lastly, I understand Pereira’s point - all joking aside, he lives and dies by his style, and to have him change or apologize for it would be disappointing. It’s just that when he makes 8 excuses instead of taking responsibility for his shortcomings, it’s hard to cheer for him.

Michael Pereira doesn't even consider MMA a sport! Of course he isn't going to change his style! His goal is literally to be an entertainer. This style is perfectly suited for that. Why should he try to be a sportsman when he doesn't even participate in a sport?
Cause there is a win-loss record related to it, if he had won like a WW Walker it would be all good, but he lost to a smaller guy.

I'm fine with his fighting style. Maybe don't gas yourself out on the intro though, you know, before the fight even starts? Tom Lawlor learned that hard lesson, as entertaining as he was...

Cause there is a win-loss record related to it, if he had won like a WW Walker it would be all good, but he lost to a smaller guy.

So now maybe he fights at middleweight. Why not? Slower than the welterweights he's been fighting? Easier to time.

Maybe cut back on the crazy pre fight warm up and back flips mid fight and hopefully his cardio keeps up with the awesome cage kicks and punches. His opponent was a bit of a grinder as well which didn't help

Americans on the other hand have geniuses like the Diaz bros, Cody Garbrandt, Platinum Perry and so on

<{titihmm}>
Interesting topic. Someone once told me that no matter how dumb NFL players sound when they get on the mic, they are actually well above-average in the IQ department. He said that big strong guys are a dime a dozen, but that to be useful to the NFL, you need to be a member of the cognitive elite. I looked at Wunderlich scores for some NFL guys, and they were pretty high. Not one of them had a low score.

Is this true of MMA as well?

Be entertaining, just don't go SO overboard with it that it makes people root against you. Especially compounded with the fact that he cut 40 pounds and still missed weight. If he had made weight and did maybe half of what he was doing then it would've been fine. Doing a little dance or a funny move during the fight is fine but it was almost like he completely disregarded his opponent and there was no rhyme or reason to his fancy attacks. It just looked like random bouncing around and then he gassed and lost.

So now maybe he fights at middleweight. Why not? Slower than the welterweights he's been fighting? Easier to time.
Probably the right time, the bigger guys are now bit old or some even moved to LHW, he is supposed to have cut a LOT to make WW which he was 1lb away of not making headlines because he missed weight, wouldnt be such bad idea.

Michael Pereira doesn't even consider MMA a sport! Of course he isn't going to change his style! His goal is literally to be an entertainer. This style is perfectly suited for that. Why should he try to be a sportsman when he doesn't even participate in a sport?

It's not entertaining when you're lying on your back for the whole round because your gassed.

I personally don't mind his entertaining style. But however there is a fine line in executing it. You have to be also smart in not spending so much energy doing back flips and the pre-fight break dance move he does. He has to balance things out where he can be entertaining and winning fights at the same time. He could be potentially a superstar if he does that.

I do like the guy, he is hugely entertaining .....but......

- he has had 33 (!!!) Pro MMA fights (via tapology), he should know damn well how to cut weight properly by now. It is not his first rodeo.
- If you can no longer make 170lbs, be a man, and go fight at 185lbs.
- If you KNEW you had a bad weight-cut (as he admitted) then what the FUCK are you dancing on the way to the cage, doing gymnastic routines, backflipping into the cage, breakdancing before the fight, all this shit?

This is all excuses on his part, he went too far down the Showboating Road and paid the price, and got embarrassed by a guy who looked TWO weight classes lighter.

Hey, Michel Pereira, go fight at 185lbs, with men your own size, and then you'll have *so much more energy* from no nasty weight cut that you can do a whole Olympics gymnastic routine. (Before you lose.)

He's got more moves than a U-Haul.
(Timestamped to begin at Rnd 1 .)

He's the kind of fighter that will give me great pleasure once somebody knocks him out cold or he tears a ligament and ends up on the ground holding his leg like Peter Griffin.

Sports are meant to be entertaining though. If they weren't then people wouldn't watch and pro sports wouldn't be the goldmine that they are

Went with disturbing, because the guy clearly has skill but is entirely self defeating in his approach.

If losing to a late replacement LW doesn't wake him up, nothing will - that is disturbing.

Back