michael page was the highlight of bellator 120

No. Sports are entertainment. People attend athletic events to be entertained. Saying that MMA is about seeing fighters testing themselves against a variety of opponents is like saying Movies are about seeing actors test themselves in a variety of roles. Maybe SOME people feel that way, but 99% of human beings watch movies and sports to be entertained.

MVP is awesome, and great for Bellator. He's the kind of guy that gets an average fan to watch his fights because win or lose, you know something wild is going to happen. It's people like that who grow the fanbase of the sport as a whole.

I think the takeaway here is that the meaning and purpose of an activity is often different for the participants and for the spectators. They both get involved for different reasons and all those reasons are valid.

If we're talking about MMA's existence though, at least in the modern era, it exists as a business. The very first UFC was put together so that the Gracie's could expand their BJJ business and so that their partners could make a little money off the events.

Got to remember Page was one of the best amateur kick boxers in the world. Its no surprise he's wiping the floor right now and embarrassing his opponents. Can't wait for his next fight.

Another thoroughly entertaining performance from MVP

Excellent stuff

Man, some of you guys are so fucking boring. Page brings in a style that's hard to train for, wins with that style, and suddenly you hate him and want to watch him lose. Fine, so long as you pay attention, which is what Bellator wants you to do. "I hate you so much I can't wait to watch you lose" is an effective business model.

It's not honorable to throw a one, two, headkick and go for the double leg. It's called cookie-cutter for a reason; you can find one of a hundred training partners who could emulate that and make for an easy training session. Now find some weirdo who can do what Michael Page does. Makes it really difficult to prepare for. Mind games are a good tool.

I for one thought it was fight of the night. It's awesome to see someone get away with it. He can only do this because he's a high level striker. I also used to laugh my ass off when Genki Sudo showboated on people. And of course Silva was crazy to watch slip into the Matrix until Chris "Neo" Weidman showed up.

Feed him to a good wrestler and see how cocky he is.

Then watch said good wrestler follow him around hopelessly, getting humiliated and hurt for a few minutes, then see how useful said wrestling actually is

he is all flash and entertaining but he will get ko'ed by the top of the bellator division. he got tagged a couple times in his fight with ramdan Mohamed. every fighter he fights chases his around and has no discipline. a fighter with patience will smoke him imo

I don't have a problem with how he fights. It's his style, and probably one he uses to distract his opponent but also keep himself relaxed.

I don't see how it's different to how Genki Sudo used to have his weird antics inside the ring, but everyone loves Genki, including me!

he is all flash and entertaining but he will get ko'ed by the top of the bellator division. he got tagged a couple times in his fight with ramdan Mohamed. every fighter he fights chases his around and has no discipline. a fighter with patience will smoke him imo
So he fights a guy with patience and suddenly he stops being extremely skilled?

He should fight a counter-striker so they can both circle and stare at each other for 15 minutes. (Obviously Page would be staring at the big screen but still)

Honestly, I didn't mind the showboating but it's kind of silly to see a guy who's proven nothing in MMA doing it.

He's cool to watch.

We'll see if he's all smoke and mirrors soon enough. He's basically only fought emotional brawling fighters with no restraint and they play right into his hands. It's like a bad parody of Silva/Griffin.

He should fight a counter-striker so they can both circle and stare at each other for 15 minutes. (Obviously Page would be staring at the big screen but still)

Honestly, I didn't mind the showboating but it's kind of silly to see a guy who's proven nothing in MMA doing it.

To be fair, his style is a carryover from his kickboxing. An area in which he is quite proven.

Yeah, screw these exciting KOs! I want to see some lay n pray!

I was thinking the same thing.Why feed him to wrestlers who'll stall him trying to get an UD and make it a boring fight??

Feed him to elite guys who are strikers and will probably stand with him.He's one of the most entertaining guys we have right now.Why kill the show?There's no point.

We already have 99,9% of fighters trying to be boring.Let this guy fight strikers.

Can't wait till he gets matched up with a wrestler and the wrestler's head gets knocked off and these scumbags shut the fuck up... but they won't shut up, they'll just say "Pfff, that guy was never a good wrestler."

Back