Mexico Vs PR Rivalry

BigNogFTW

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
My cousins and I are talking about cotto/margarito last night and I realized that this is also a Mexico Vs PR thing and It got me thinking about some fights that I saw(Salvador Sanchez/Wilfredo Gomez,Chavez/Camacho Oscar/Trinidad) .But how this rivalry really started?Is the Sanchez/Gomez the 1st Mexico Vs PR?And can you tell me some Mexico vs PR fights?

Any fight where a Mexican fought a Puerto Rican. Well, save for Margarito/Cintron probably. Kermit doesn't get the support of Puerto Rico much.

Sanchez/Gomez isn't likely the 1st version of this fight, but if memory serves me the nationalistic rivalry is mainly from Soccer.

Rosario v Ramirez
Chavez v Camacho
Gomez v Zarate

Go check those out.

Any fight where a Mexican fought a Puerto Rican. Well, save for Margarito/Cintron probably. Kermit doesn't get the support of Puerto Rico much.

Sanchez/Gomez isn't likely the 1st version of this fight, but if memory serves me the nationalistic rivalry is mainly from Soccer.

not soccer, puerto rico can't really compete with mexico on that

There have been some great fights coming out of that rivalry. Telemundo played up that angle with last week's fight with Bolanos against Reyes.

Mexico and PR have always had a rivialry. I just remember the hype for Trinidad-De La Hoya. Fans from both countries were going to nuts

Sixto Escobar vs. Baby Casanova in the 1930's might've been the first fight in the rivalry, at least as far as important fights go.

not soccer, puerto rico can't really compete with mexico on that

Who said PR had to be competitive?

Tonga has a long-standing rivalry with New Zeland in Rugby because of their tribal heritages, and Tonga gets slaughtered every time.

Only because New Zealand pached tonga's best players. The All Blacks are traditionally dominated by players of Polli heritage.

Tru dat. But the point is one nation doesn't need to be competitive to have a rivalry. If they're embarrassingly bad at a World Sport, they just invent Sports and call their Champions "World Champions"...oh wait that's just America.

I hear ya, especially on the title of "world champion".

Mexico/PR rivalry didn't come from soccer, they don't really play soccer in PR

ouch...

mexico does make the knockout round in most cups though.

I'm not taking a shot at their respective national squads,
That just happens to be the case lately.
Mexico has and will have a good team again.

That being said,

Azzuri

What are some other rivals that were prevalent historically but not so much the case anymore?
Like was there ever a big Irish/Italian rivalry...

Mexico can give any top team fits, they might not be top 10 or even top 15 but they still are a tough team

Mexico can give any top team fits, they might not be top 10 or even top 15 but they still are a tough team

They play a gritty game, lately there rivalry has been with the U.S.

Ussually a dark horse but have some of the craziest fans you will ever see.

Back