Mexican Boxing Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking same. I wanted something custom, but I'll probably go with these.

They start out hard but get softer once broken in. I'll just use them on the bag till they're ripe.

Same here...Will order a pair soon...for the 3rd time :) Might go with the GV9s this time around.
Sold my BGL7s to buy the JCs, which by now are long gone.

All the best
Gus

My 16 oz Zepols came in earlier today. They are the white ones with the turquoise palm and thumb that you saw a few pages back on page 99.

My initial impressions:

The glove is definitely "smaller" than most 16 oz gloves that I have experience with. I've worn 16 oz Reyes before in the "community tub" at Wild Card, and I think that the Zepols are roughy as small, or even smaller than the Reyes.

When I say "small," I mean that the hand compartment is smaller in width. I own a pair of 16 oz Ringside Safety RP-16 Training Gloves (old 2001 style) and I also own a pair of Pro Boxing Equipment 14 oz Hook and Loop gloves.

http://www.kofightsports.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/521/image/632/

http://proboxingsupplies.com/showim...57.jpg&width=310&height=293&showfullimage=yes

At the knuckle, the 16 oz Zepols are less wide than the 16 oz Ringsides, and they are about as wide (possibly narrower) than the 14 oz Pros.

Between the three gloves, the Zepols have the most dense foam, but also the most springy. They essentially "bounce back" after each punch. However, the foam isn't broken-in yet.

The Zepols have a distinct smell...a really good smell actually! My Ringside RP-16s have a white palm, and the white leather used in those gloves have a bit of a thickness and a grain that are similar to the feel of the upper part of Air Force One Sneakers, and have that smell as well. The Zepol white leather has a much smoother white surface, and a smell that is more reminiscent of real "country" leather. The cuff is longer than typical Ringside/Title 16oz sparring gloves, and the wrist compartment is more narrow.

My initial criticisms would be that the Zepols use a basic lining that doesn't extend all the way up to the fingertips, and that many areas of the glove use a single line of stitching. For example, the stitching near the grip bar and around the piping near the lace-holes is usually double-stitched on other gloves, but single stitched on the Zepols. The gloves do feel incredibly durable, but they're brand new and its too soon to tell. It does feel a bit weird to touch suede and seams in the fingertip area. However, the FIT is very, very comfortable.

I will use the Zepols ONLY for sparring, so I won't know how anything about heavybag durability. You might wonder why I'd use a somewhat dense-foam glove for sparring, and my response is that it isn't any worse than the Sporting Goods Everlast Gloves that my sparring partners always hit me with.

So those are my initial impressions after day one.

Last edited:
My 16 oz Zepols came in earlier today. They are the white ones with the turquoise palm and thumb that you saw a few pages back on page 99.

My initial impressions:

The glove is definitely "smaller" than most 16 oz gloves that I have experience with. I've worn 16 oz Reyes before in the "community tub" at Wild Card, and I think that the Zepols are roughy as small, or even smaller than the Reyes.

When I say "small," I mean that the hand compartment is smaller in width. I own a pair of 16 oz Ringside Safety RP-16 Training Gloves (old 2001 style) and I also own a pair of Pro Boxing Equipment 14 oz Hook and Loop gloves.

http://www.kofightsports.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/521/image/632/

http://proboxingsupplies.com/showim...57.jpg&width=310&height=293&showfullimage=yes

At the knuckle, the 16 oz Zepols are less wide than the 16 oz Ringsides, and they are about as wide (possibly narrower) than the 14 oz Pros.

Between the three gloves, the Zepols have the most dense foam, but also the most springy. They essentially "bounce back" after each punch. However, the foam isn't broken-in yet.

The Zepols have a distinct smell...a really good smell actually! My Ringside RP-16s have a white palm, and the white leather used in those gloves have a bit of a thickness and a grain that are similar to the feel of the upper part of Air Force One Sneakers, and have that smell as well. The Zepol white leather has a much smoother white surface, and a smell that is more reminiscent of real "country" leather. The cuff is longer than typical Ringside/Title 16oz sparring gloves, and the wrist compartment is more narrow.

My initial criticisms would be that the Zepols use a basic lining that doesn't extend all the way up to the fingertips, and that many areas of the glove use a single line of stitching. For example, the stitching near the grip bar and around the piping near the lace-holes is usually double-stitched on other gloves, but single stitched on the Zepols. The gloves do feel incredibly durable, but they're brand new and its too soon to tell. It does feel a bit weird to touch suede and seams in the fingertip area. However, the FIT is very, very comfortable.

I will use the Zepols ONLY for sparring, so I won't know how anything about heavybag durability. You might wonder why I'd use a somewhat dense-foam glove for sparring, and my response is that it isn't any worse than the Sporting Goods Everlast Gloves that my sparring partners always hit me with.

So those are my initial impressions after day one.

If you see in my picture comparison on page 103, they are pretty compact compared to some of the other brands (forgot to put my JC's in there). Also do you consider your hands/wrist to be big? I find the hand component ok, but the section for the fingers is just right and not big like Boxeo and Campeon.

After doing some testing today on pads/heavybag, the Zepol's hold up pretty well. Even though the wrist wasn't tight, it wasn't that big of a deal.

I have small wrists but long fingers and somewhat regular-to-wide hands. I'll do mitts tomorrow and get a better feel for the fingers.

I wanna post pics directly but i keep getting little blue squares with question marks. what do i do about that?

I have small wrists but long fingers and somewhat regular-to-wide hands. I'll do mitts tomorrow and get a better feel for the fingers.

I wanna post pics directly but i keep getting little blue squares with question marks. what do i do about that?

About the same here for hands.

For pictures I resize my images, upload to photobucket and use the IMG link they provide.

This caught my attention because the 16oz Reyes I've owned have always been what I'd consider "big" gloves. I guess it's a matter of perspective though anyway

Maybe it's just me but when the leather of the gloves has a strong smell like your Zepols and like Reyes has I always consider that a big plus and one sign of quality!

Last edited:
Ok just finished sparring with the Zepols. They are pretty good even though the wrist protection isn't as beefy as the other two gloves. I don't have problems with it, but it's up to you and your style. Even though the wrist portion isn't tight like campeon, it doesn't bother me at all.

To sum it up, I would pick Zepol's if you want a glove with adequate hand/wrist room and isn't tight. It has awesome color combinations and can be used for sparring, heavybag, and mitts. Also it is very compact and can better simulate boxing gloves in a real match.

I will post a review of all 3 viable sparring gloves once I get home.

my wife might kill me for this but i think i have to take those copper zepols. they just look to good to pass up especially with the extra padding. wonder if i can bribe her with a neclese or ear rings. now i just have to have sarapee make matching muay thai shorts for those as well.

my wife might kill me for this but i think i have to take those copper zepols. they just look to good to pass up especially with the extra padding. wonder if i can bribe her with a neclese or ear rings. now i just have to have sarapee make matching muay thai shorts for those as well.

I don't think those copper zepols have extra padding, Technoir informed me he called Zepol and they said the batch was regular. Might want to check with him again.

The Zepol hand compartment feels really good, and the region where the fingers go is not too big. The size is just right, and I think the only complaint would be that your fingertips can feel the seams from the inside. I really think a small piece of lining would alleviate that, but again it isn't a big deal.

My Zepols are lace-ups, and when I wind the laces around really tightly, the foam gives rather easily and I get sufficient wrist support.

I also just compared the knuckle width of my 16oz Zepols with my 14oz Inter gloves and the width is roughly the same.

Ok, finally got some time, going to review all the gloves. Decided to stand up the gloves and get a better group picture with them. The Boxeo doesn't look that huge compared to the previous picture.

MexicanGloves1_zpsc7fbb55f.jpg

MexicanGloves2_zps94b770d0.jpg

JC Pacheco

Pros: Good fit, variety in colors.

Cons: Very dense, good for bagwork and drills, not for sparring. Leather feels cheap. Kinda expensive for bag gloves.

Campeon

Pros: Soft leather, lots of wrist padding. Long finger components. Strong goat leather smell.

Cons: Tight fit on the hand and the wrist. Bad for people with big hands or don't like a tight fit. I like it though and it's a personal preference for me. Wrist part is still, great if you want wrist support in punching straight. Gold paint is fading. Left and right glove constructed differently and one glove is curved inward and one is not; inconsistent and looks ametuerish.

Zepol

Pros: Variety in colors and styles. Medium-soft leather (denser than Campeon). Finger component adequate, wrist component bigger, hand component ok. Crafted very well and looks professionally made with no mistakes.

Cons: Wrist component doesn't have a snug fit and feels loose, a strap could help if you want it tighter. Doesn't bother me though. Wrist padding very light; Zepol can make a denser padding version for more money.

Boxeo

Pros: Soft padding on knuckles, beefy padding on wrists. Wrist component adequate. Long finger component. Molds to your fingers. Strong goat leather smell. Welted seams. Well crafted and leather looks strong. Bendable wrists, good for clinching.

Cons: Big hand component, bad for heavy bag if you aren't careful. 16oz may be tighter who knows. Good for sparring and drills though.

Final Notes

Boxeo easily takes the #1 position with Campeon in #2 and Zepol in #3 in terms of sparring and overall construction. I know Boxeo isn't good for heavybag, but the professional construction feel takes it to the top. Sparring gloves aren't meant for the heavybag anyway unless you're in a gym that makes you hit the heavybag in class and you don't have bag gloves with you. The only difference would be the outside design, construction of the glove and the tightness. Any glove can be used for sparring. If you want a glove that can do everything, Zepol, Boxeo, and Campeon are able. Zepol and Boxeo if you want a regular fit and Campeon if you like a small profile around your hands.

Last edited:
Deathstriker you are like a connoisseur of authentic Mexican boxing gloves now, I kind of hope you only ever get Mexican equipment in the future and get to complete a whole set of Mexican gloves with Reyes, Seyer, Casanova etc.

That padding on the wrist of the Boxeos definitely does look beefy

Tempted to get Campeon for the Heavybag + mitts , do you get good pop on the bags?

Deathstriker you are like a connoisseur of authentic Mexican boxing gloves now, I kind of hope you only ever get Mexican equipment in the future and get to complete a whole set of Mexican gloves with Reyes, Seyer, Casanova etc.

That padding on the wrist of the Boxeos definitely does look beefy

I think I'll pass on the rest for now. Having 6 pairs of gloves is good enough. Right now I have all the Mexican gloves that are customs so I can be king of the Mexican custom gloves now lol.

The Padding on the Boxeo is big and soft (looks like a piece of foam), but the Campeon one is denser (could be stuffing, but it works).

Tempted to get Campeon for the Heavybag + mitts , do you get good pop on the bags?

I'll have to test that another day. Good on heavybag but I didn't test for pop.

As for the JC's, my headgear and groin belts came out good, maybe ClampVII had some bad luck. I see people still ordering JC's and there have been no complains so just know you're taking a small risk if you order through them, especially on the gloves.

Jeez Death I don't even want to put up the review for the Zepols I just finished now :( lol jk. I love those gloves. They fit me better than any other glove so far.

Jeez Death I don't even want to put up the review for the Zepols I just finished now :( lol jk. I love those gloves. They fit me better than any other glove so far.

Zepol gloves are very well constructed, it's just the small details that can sway an opinion.

could not agree more. i have an 18oz and a 10oz pair and had to get the bronze ones juan had just because i loved the other two so much more than my 12oz JCs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back