Met any boxers or fighters? Tell us your experiences.

Having grown up in a boxing family, and spent a considerable amount of time training (mostly trying to pretend that I have skills), I've met many. And due to my profession, and representing a few sort of recognizable names (the D List loves me), I never like to mention anyone specifically. And while the sports media can be deceptive and petty, there's a consensus among sports writer that boxers are generally the most athletes they cover (tennis players are considered the worst, for what it's worth, although I can't speak from experience). Yeah, there are some a holes in the fight game, but I would agree that boxers are generally nice, down to earth guys without pretense or expectations. One of many reasons I will always defend this sport.

I'm not genuinely interested in the things you say, no.

But usually when somebody makes a bombastic claim like, "It would take an entire book for me to describe my interactions with boxing hall of famers and champions," it requires some sort of explanation.

Plus it's kinda the point of the thread.

My gawd....do you not have anything better to do than call me out?...That is what your point is isn't it?
I have a vast and deep background in boxing... I don't have to prove or justify and I won't go into the details but I have not only met but had conversations with all (sometimes multiple) a meal or meetings with many of these names....Heavyweight champions: Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Leon Spinks, John Tate, Larry Holmes, Michael Spinks, Mike Tyson, Greg Page, Pinklon Thomas, Bonecrusher Smith, Bruce Seldon and yes Muhammad Ali....other champions: Alexis Arguello, Sean O'Grady, Vassily Jirov, Sugar Ray Leonard, Hector Camacho, Stevie Johnston, Peter Quillin, Greg Haugen, Billy Costello, Virgil Hill, Roy Jones and numerous others as well as contenders Tommy Morrison, David Tua, Gerry Cooney, Joe Mesi, Bobby Czyz, Boone Kirkman, and many others....trainers: Freddie Roach, Emanuel Steward, Angelo Dundee, Eddie Futch....broadcasters Al Bernstein, Barry Tompkins, Col. Bob Sheridan, Gil Clancy Jim Lampley and on and on.

The question was fighters you have met and I basically said many but too many to mention unless i wrote a book.

You say that like it's some bygone era yet you must only be sixteen or seventeen.

It's just that myself at such a young age, already being in contact with great fighters amazes me. I didn't mean to imply it in the way you say

I asked Maurice Smith once if he'd met Ali and Tyson, because I'd correctly guessed he'd have the oppurtunity. He told me he met ali who did the boxer thing of holding up his fists to him and Maurice gave him the thumbs up sign. Tyson did something very bizarre, when they shook hands, Tyson bowed and put his forehead on the back of Maurice's hand, I said "what the fuck" he said "that's the exact reaction I had".

My gawd....do you not have anything better to do than call me out?...That is what your point is isn't it?
I have a vast and deep background in boxing... I don't have to prove or justify and I won't go into the details but I have not only met but had conversations with all (sometimes multiple) a meal or meetings with many of these names....Heavyweight champions: Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Leon Spinks, John Tate, Larry Holmes, Michael Spinks, Mike Tyson, Greg Page, Pinklon Thomas, Bonecrusher Smith, Bruce Seldon and yes Muhammad Ali....other champions: Alexis Arguello, Sean O'Grady, Vassily Jirov, Sugar Ray Leonard, Hector Camacho, Stevie Johnston, Peter Quillin, Greg Haugen, Billy Costello, Virgil Hill, Roy Jones and numerous others as well as contenders Tommy Morrison, David Tua, Gerry Cooney, Joe Mesi, Bobby Czyz, Boone Kirkman, and many others....trainers: Freddie Roach, Emanuel Steward, Angelo Dundee, Eddie Futch....broadcasters Al Bernstein, Barry Tompkins, Col. Bob Sheridan, Gil Clancy Jim Lampley and on and on.

The question was fighters you have met and I basically said too many but too many to mention unless i wrote a book.

gotta ask, what do you remember about Macho, pro/con or indifferent and were any of these guys starkly different off camera?

and of course it never hurt that the ones around me long enough thought very highly of me.

gotta ask, what do you remember about Macho, pro/con or indifferent and were any of these guys starkly different off camera?

Macho was a small guy...met him in Corpus Christi...a quiet guy and almost humble.....but I only met him once...introduced by a common friend.....most everyone else were real normal people.....forgot to mention: Don King and Bob Arum both a number of times....King is one of the smartest and most aware people I have ever met.

what's the perfect way to throw the hook, Moz? I am a big fan of the hook and I'm interested in how he said to do it.

The point of the thread is to tell the stories. It's in the title.

Dropping in to say you have met over a dozen heavyweight champions and a who's who of boxing history without giving any details is lame and goes against the purpose of the thread. The bombastic manner in which he delivered that claim, while impressing nobody at all, still reeks of artificial self-importance.

Personally, i'm actually really antisocial, it's one of the reasons i didn't like the "bros" too much and didn't want to join their little clique. It cost me a career but that kind of thing wasn't what i was there for, a big difference between boxers and martial artists/mma'rs is that very thing, boxers tend to be loners and individualists, mma'rs tend to be more concerned about keeping up with the latest gear, bags and other shit that makes them cool with the "bros".

ya, i've heard that about him, i heard that he was actually 5-4 or 5-5 not his listed 5-7. God it killed me when he got shot.

Rofl at Nigel giving you the facepalm. That made me legit lol. Great story haha

ya, i've heard that about him, i heard that he was actually 5-4 or 5-5 not his listed 5-7. God it killed me when he got shot.

In my opinion Camacho was one of the greatest boxers of the past 50 years.

what's the perfect way to throw the hook, Moz? I am a big fan of the hook and I'm interested in how he said to do it.
honestly? now that I'm older, I firmly believe there is no one way to do anything but the correct way, which is what Boone taught me was a.in boxing stance b. just turn your left (or right) arm parallel to the floor with the palm side facing down, pivot on your left foot but c.DO NOT CARRY THE PUNCH PAST YOUR TARGET stop with your forearm in front of your face, under your eyes so you can see, then recover to stance. of course most pros don't even follow this strictly but it's a good thing to learn. Another older man at the same gym gave me beautiful advice to "picture a rod going into the top of your head all the way down and when you throw the hook you are turning on that rod" if you can get those kinds of ideas, and boxing has always been full of those semi-vague descriptions, it'll help you improve a lot.

The point of the thread is to tell the stories. It's in the title.

Dropping in to say you have met over a dozen heavyweight champions and a who's who of boxing history without giving any details is lame and goes against the purpose of the thread. The bombastic manner in which he delivered that claim, while impressing nobody at all, still reeks of artificial self-importance.

You seem lacking of self esteem.... attacking another for their experiences.

Having grown up in a boxing family, and spent a considerable amount of time training (mostly trying to pretend that I have skills), I've met many. And due to my profession, and representing a few sort of recognizable names (the D List loves me), I never like to mention anyone specifically. And while the sports media can be deceptive and petty, there's a consensus among sports writer that boxers are generally the most athletes they cover (tennis players are considered the worst, for what it's worth, although I can't speak from experience). Yeah, there are some a holes in the fight game, but I would agree that boxers are generally nice, down to earth guys without pretense or expectations. One of many reasons I will always defend this sport.

ya, that's always been true, boxers are refreshing in comparison to the prima donnas in other sports. And human beings, being intuitive as they are, sense that fighters won't kill them. I think it was Marv Albert who wrote that he felt he could ask harder questions of boxers and they wouldn't get upset.

Seems like almost everyone who's ever met Mosley say that he seems like a genuinely nice guy to to all of them. Pretty cool to hear that, alot of people seem to get annoyed/jaded with fans coming up them all the time, which I can understand, but good to see that some guys take that extra time out of their day even if they aren't obligated to do so.

Oh can't believe I forgot to mention that I came face to face with Bert Sugar at the hof when I was walking through a crowd of people in one of the buildings. He had a beer and a cigar and I just said "hey Bert Sugar how ya doing" and he was kind of like "yeah yeah".

He kind of seemed like he didn't want to be talking to me but he wasn't really a dick. And to be fair I was only like 17 at the time and he just didn't seem very interested in talking to some kid asking stupid questions (which I was). It was funny though b/c he seemed kind of loaded already and he was just checking out all the women walking around and just chilling like a G in general. guy was a pimp, RIP.

You seem lacking of self esteem.... attacking another for their experiences.

Lol does anybody really know what is up with this guy? He is easily the most often ridiculed poster on here, I always assumed it was a troll account.

And lol at "Camacho was small"

"artificial self-importance" is why i hesitate oftentimes mentioning my past and who i was around and what I've done. Men, being naturally competive will call it that and maybe even insinuate a fight, which has happened on occasion. Other reason is that who would believe me anyway, all they see is a mortal sized guy who knows how to conduct himself. But, those things were a part of my life for a very long time, through no fault of my own I had no real opportunities which weren't purely exploitive so I never got to the point where I could say "look at this" and have proof of anything. I always say it's ironic because the real fighters I've been around respect me generally and the people who just see me as a regular, nice guy are the first ones to start shit.

anyway, if you want my impression of most mma'rs, i've stated many times that I think something is not right in their heads when they would rather hang around a bunch of sweaty guys for years on end for the oppurtunity for measly purses and great personal risk and on top of that, you answer to a bunch of scumbags from the top to the bottom of the sport. The boxers I've known are a bit different in that they were much nicer, gentler, NORMAL people, that is to say, most of the mma'r and the martial artists were just too wierd for me, they probably think and thought I was wierd because I damn sure thought they were bizarre. In a nutshell, in some ways they are similar and in some ways they are completely the opposite, like actjac, I could write for days on the topic and it wouldn't all be flattering and we do have rules here about fighter bashing.

honestly? now that I'm older, I firmly believe there is no one way to do anything but the correct way, which is what Boone taught me was a.in boxing stance b. just turn your left (or right) arm parallel to the floor with the palm side facing down, pivot on your left foot but c.DO NOT CARRY THE PUNCH PAST YOUR TARGET stop with your forearm in front of your face, under your eyes so you can see, then recover to stance. of course most pros don't even follow this strictly but it's a good thing to learn. Another older man at the same gym gave me beautiful advice to "picture a rod going into the top of your head all the way down and when you throw the hook you are turning on that rod" if you can get those kinds of ideas, and boxing has always been full of those semi-vague descriptions, it'll help you improve a lot.

Awesome thanks a lot man. I've always been confused as to whether I should throw the hook palm down or palm facing me. I will keep it down from now on and try not to bring the arm past the target.

Lol does anybody really know what is up with this guy? He is easily the most often ridiculed poster on here, I always assumed it was a troll account.

He was a small guy. .What's funny about it?

Met Jeff Mayweather : I thought he'd be big headed because of the Media around, but a friend of mine started chit-chatting with him about his old bout with Jesse James Leija and he couldnt have been more accommodating.

Moz, I know you are an honest guy, but I probably wouldn't buy what actjac is selling you right now. He has never given the impression that he knows anything about boxing at all in the past.

"Camacho is small"
"King is smart"

Let me guess, Pac was nice? Mayorga smoked?

macho was small, 130 pound champion who wasn't even huge at that weight. In my mind he was a giant though. they say Bruce Lee was 122 pounds at the time of his death, amazing men.

Awesome thanks a lot man. I've always been confused as to whether I should throw the hook palm down or palm facing me. I will keep it down from now on and try not to bring the arm past the target.

no, no, i just reread my post, i meant to make clear that there are many ways to do anything. do both. I have, Do as many as you can come up with and make work. For me, the textbook way isn't as powerful or as far away from the body as the kinds of hooks I throw with palm facing in. Do both, in close i use textbook and they aren't as hard but you really do get more bodyweight into them, so they are more clubbing.

oh yeah, and with textbook hooks, the elbows do not deviate from 90 degrees any. really short punches, pretty much right in front of your face.

Last edited:
anyways, i'll see you guys in a bit, it's been fun.

macho was small, 130 pound champion who wasn't even huge at that weight. In my mind he was a giant though. they say Bruce Lee was 122 pounds at the time of his death, amazing men.

Lol Yes, we know moz. That is why it is funny.

"artificial self-importance" is why i hesitate oftentimes mentioning my past and who i was around and what I've done. Men, being naturally competive will call it that and maybe even insinuate a fight, which has happened on occasion. Other reason is that who would believe me anyway, all they see is a mortal sized guy who knows how to conduct himself. But, those things were a part of my life for a very long time, through no fault of my own I had no real opportunities which weren't purely exploitive so I never got to the point where I could say "look at this" and have proof of anything. I always say it's ironic because the real fighters I've been around respect me generally and the people who just see me as a regular, nice guy are the first ones to start shit.

anyway, if you want my impression of most mma'rs, i've stated many times that I think something is not right in their heads when they would rather hang around a bunch of sweaty guys for years on end for the oppurtunity for measly purses and great personal risk and on top of that, you answer to a bunch of scumbags from the top to the bottom of the sport. The boxers I've known are a bit different in that they were much nicer, gentler, NORMAL people, that is to say, most of the mma'r and the martial artists were just too wierd for me, they probably think and thought I was wierd because I damn sure thought they were bizarre. In a nutshell, in some ways they are similar and in some ways they are completely the opposite, like actjac, I could write for days on the topic and it wouldn't all be flattering and we do have rules here about fighter bashing.

Most boxers I have known and know are friendly and nice people. . . The one who was the mst standoffish was Mike Tyson. . .even though I don't like who he is in the ring Floyd Mayweather is ok.. . .My impression of MMAers is that they are a different breed. . .a genuine good guy that I have been around in a d out of the gym is Randy Couture though.

no, no, i just reread my post, i meant to make clear that there are many ways to do anything. do both. I have, Do as many as you can come up with and make work. For me, the textbook way isn't as powerful or as far away from the body as the kinds of hooks I throw with palm facing in. Do both, in close i use textbook and they aren't as hard but you really do get more bodyweight into them, so they are more clubbing.

oh yeah, and with textbook hooks, the elbows do not deviate from 90 degrees any. really short punches, pretty much right in front of your face.

Okay I gotcha. I will try the different ways and see what works best. I had someone else say the same thing you did to throw palm in from farther distances and when I'm in close to use the palm down. That's why I love the hook, different ways to go about it but they can all be effective. Thanks again.

Let me guess, Pac was nice? Mayorga smoked?

nod-of-approval.gif

I've got a long time family friend who was once a great boxer. I could tell you a million stories about the guy, but lets just say I respect this man a great deal and he has been the inspiration behind my insistence for better fighter pay and treatment for a number of years here at Sherdog.

Most boxers I have known and know are friendly and nice people. . . The one who was the mst standoffish was Mike Tyson. . .even though I don't like who he is in the ring Floyd Mayweather is ok.. . .My impression of MMAers is that they are a different breed. . .a genuine good guy that I have been around in a d out of the gym is Randy Couture though.

I've met and chatted with a lot of MMA guys (as well as boxers). They were all pretty cool, too. Couple egos, but mostly genuine guys.

You should have asked Tyson what his fucking problem was.

Back