Men's Health Power Lifting by Robert dos Remedios

Zatsiorskys forums are pretty good, its mostly Track and Field athletes type stuff discussed there though.

my goal is 500 by september. im not really sure what to do to get there though.

20070318173801.jpg

Try leaving your balls out in the sun for a couple of hours.

I understand your point and yes I'm sure most lifters on here are at a pretty basic level and would benefit from pretty simple programs, but I still think it's good to at least be exposed to more advanced concepts and see that there is more out there. It takes more than just reading through Zatsiorsky and Verkhoshansky's books to understand all of their concepts and know how to apply them, so I don't think people will just run out and buy their books and start using a ton of advanced methods before they're ready.

In my experience a lot of guys in MMA actually have quite a bit of background in lifting, it's just that they were doing bodybuilding or powerlifting type training. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of people on here have at least a year or two of lifting experience and I doubt that reading more advanced materials will do any harm. They might end up with more questions than answers, but I think that's a good thing.

On a side note, where are you writing your disseration at? I took a philosophy of the law class at the University of Washington years ago and it was a great class. The professor gave us the impression he was one of the few profs in the US who taught such a class but I thought it was one of the most interesting classes I ever took.

I flipped through Men's Health Power today and it does indeed seem like a vast encyclopedia with various exercises and their variations...with minimal indepth discussion....there's also chapter on nutrition and the best part 'program design'...

I must say that some exercises are pretty cool and ones that I have not considered doing like split leg deadlifts or split goodmornings...etc so the exercise selection is pretty helpful but I still think that SS2 was more helpful with its indepth explanation of each exercise and common pitfalls.

Dr. Z's books are indeed more detailed but they are also much harder to understand for most of us with little science background....similar to Mel Siff's supertraining...

Most folks in all honesty will get far more from the basics than anything else because truth is...most people are not elite athletes nor aspire to be them....so more simplified but equally effective approach would work far better by not over complicating things...

Saying that SS. Practical Programing and Power Training are for "noobs" is simplistic and somewhat degrading in it's tone. I've been lifting heavy since 1985, I've been there, done that and wore out the Ratt concert t-shirt. My videos here at least prove I look the part. So when I say the Dos' book is great in it's simplicity I mean it's good for noobs but also good for those of us who don't keep up on the lastest advances ( or circular fads in all reality). I don't need the in depth lecture that I'd just skip over, I want a concise reference of what's current so I can implement them in my workout and get on with my life.

Basically what I said in my first two posts on this thread.

It's all a matter of perspective and one's individual goals I think. If you're just looking to workout and stay in relatively good shape and in good health then certainly the basics will do. If you're a fighter who has aspirations to fight professionally or make it to the top, it takes more than that. Even if you just want to fight at the amateur level I think it's important to understand the basics of strength and conditioning.

Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the readers on this forum, but I thought there were many fighters who are competing with the goal of going pro or making it to a high level. I think the Power Lifting and those type of books are great for the Men's Health crowd and it seems like that's exactly who the books are targeting, but for competitive fighters who want to understand more I was simply offering some good books to read.

The simple truth is that the actual exercises you do are not the most important thing, in fact they are probably 3rd or 4th down the list, and yet many programs do nothing more than list off a bunch of exercises and give you a few guidelines for putting them together. For a beginner this approach will suffice, for a more advanced athlete it will lead to plateaus and performances that are not as good as they could be.

Yes there are many circular fads but that's because marketing drives the perception of what is "current" more than anything else, hence the current functional training nonsense. The best training information has been around for a long time, but most people are completely unfamilar with the basic principles.

This conditioning forum probably gets more traffic than Dr. Verkhoshansky's despite the fact that he is one of the greatest scientific minds in the field of our time and a true pioneer. Zatsiorky works down at Penn State and the Strength & Conditioning program down there is a HIT program. The late Dr. Mel Siff, who I had the opporunity to spend some time with while he was still alive, literally invited people to spend a week at his house to learn and discuss training for less than $300 and yet few people have any idea who he even was.

The point I'm making is that there is a great amount of quality information out there and yet people rarely get the chance to discover it because it is not well marketed and a lot of it comes out of the eastern block.

If people want the basics there are hundreds of books out there that will provide that type of info including the ones mentioned in this post which are good, but if there are people on here who want to learn more, I'd suggest starting with the books I listed.

It's all a matter of perspective and one's individual goals I think. If you're just looking to workout and stay in relatively good shape and in good health then certainly the basics will do. If you're a fighter who has aspirations to fight professionally or make it to the top, it takes more than that. Even if you just want to fight at the amateur level I think it's important to understand the basics of strength and conditioning.

Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the readers on this forum, but I thought there were many fighters who are competing with the goal of going pro or making it to a high level. I think the Power Lifting and those type of books are great for the Men's Health crowd and it seems like that's exactly who the books are targeting, but for competitive fighters who want to understand more I was simply offering some good books to read.

The simple truth is that the actual exercises you do are not the most important thing, in fact they are probably 3rd or 4th down the list, and yet many programs do nothing more than list off a bunch of exercises and give you a few guidelines for putting them together. For a beginner this approach will suffice, for a more advanced athlete it will lead to plateaus and performances that are not as good as they could be.

Yes there are many circular fads but that's because marketing drives the perception of what is "current" more than anything else, hence the current functional training nonsense. The best training information has been around for a long time, but most people are completely unfamilar with the basic principles.

This conditioning forum probably gets more traffic than Dr. Verkhoshansky's despite the fact that he is one of the greatest scientific minds in the field of our time and a true pioneer. Zatsiorky works down at Penn State and the Strength & Conditioning program down there is a HIT program. The late Dr. Mel Siff, who I had the opporunity to spend some time with while he was still alive, literally invited people to spend a week at his house to learn and discuss training for less than $300 and yet few people have any idea who he even was.

The point I'm making is that there is a great amount of quality information out there and yet people rarely get the chance to discover it because it is not well marketed and a lot of it comes out of the eastern block.

If people want the basics there are hundreds of books out there that will provide that type of info including the ones mentioned in this post which are good, but if there are people on here who want to learn more, I'd suggest starting with the books I listed.

Very well said- this is after all an mma forum, but some (or many) like to do the basics and have no aspirations for mma greatness! I for one have basically all but bowed out of the getting into the squared circle.

First, I loved this book and the workouts. They were tough, but I earned great results. The way the book is set up it provided an endless amount of workouts in the future. Second, I joined coach dos's forum for free. It was awesome. He personally would answer questions or someone would help out. His forum recently switched to a pay site. Third, he is an avid mma fan.

Well two years later I still follow Coach Dos, I have added elements of his program to the 5/3/1 I do.

Back