Melvin Guillard on the hot seat

gocubs1815

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I know that Varner fight was close, but looking at his record, he's still lost 4 out of his last 5, with 3 of those 4 being some pretty sick first round stoppages. Seems like whenever he loses, its usually via submission (a choke).

We know he's one of the most exciting fighters in the UFC, but there is gonna come a breaking point. Or is the UFC gonna pull a Dan Hardy with him and just keep him around even after 4 or 5 straight because "he's fun to watch"

For real, Mini-Randleman is definitely struggling lately.

Has potential to be champion

If Leonard Garcia gets another chance so should Melvin. I personally can't stand Garcia but I find Melvin fun to watch most of the time.

They'll feed him someone soon just to keep him alive. Melvin should be kept away from guys with BJJ.

DFW decides this shit. He ain't going anywhere as long as he's exciting.

Y
I know that Varner fight was close, but looking at his record, he's still lost 4 out of his last 5, with 3 of those 4 being some pretty sick first round stoppages. Seems like whenever he loses, its usually via submission (a choke).

We know he's one of the most exciting fighters in the UFC, but there is gonna come a breaking point. Or is the UFC gonna pull a Dan Hardy with him and just keep him around even after 4 or 5 straight because "he's fun to watch"

The problem has never been his physical tools....it is his mental state. Melvin is a fighter that lacks mental capacity to adapt with no emotional motive....why has he not trained intensely and improved his ground game? Why does he act the way he did at the Varner weigh ins? Does he not have a realistic self assessment of his actual talents? Seems to me like he might have yes men around that keep telling him he can be champion....but he can't....unless major changes are undertaken to shore up the physical and mental short comings currently present in his game.

I thought he looked ok on the ground, he didn't look clueless. Varner is good at what he does, and Melvin kept it competitive and interesting. I'm not a huge fan, but I'd hate to see him cut.

Melvin just needs to go somewhere and train with a Gi for a solid 6 months. Learn some good sub defense. Like go to England and train with Roger Gracie or NYC and train at Marcello's all day.

If Leonard Garcia gets another chance so should Melvin. I personally can't stand Garcia but I find Melvin fun to watch most of the time.

Agree...but major difference is Garcia is a nice humble guy who doesn't act like a world beater...I think Melvins attitude would get him cut before his physical abilities.

this , Garcia is tough as nails but is skill level is so low I find him hard to watch

They'll feed him someone soon just to keep him alive. Melvin should be kept away from guys with BJJ.

or he could actually work on his BJJ , oh shit your right that isn't going to happen so i like your thought better

Agree...but major difference is Garcia is a nice humble guy who doesn't act like a world beater...I think Melvins attitude would get him cut before his physical abilities.

excellent point

or he could actually work on his BJJ , oh shit your right that isn't going to happen so i like your thought better

Dude just brain farts.

I don't know what that stuff was against Lauzon.

Joe is a beast but that fight was just weird. He got clocked big time.

Dude just brain farts.

I don't know what that stuff was against Lauzon.

Joe is a beast but that fight was just weird. He got clocked big time.

He bought his own hype, and it cost him. I don't personally like him very much, but he's a talented guy. He should swallow his pride and go back to Jackson's.

Y

The problem has never been his physical tools....it is his mental state. Melvin is a fighter that lacks mental capacity to adapt with no emotional motive....why has he not trained intensely and improved his ground game? Why does he act the way he did at the Varner weigh ins? Does he not have a realistic self assessment of his actual talents? Seems to me like he might have yes men around that keep telling him he can be champion....but he can't....unless major changes are undertaken to shore up the physical and mental short comings currently present in his game.

The problems is that Guillard fans are a lot like Guillard himself. They're delusional and can't see what is in front of them. Guillard does not have and never will have the intelligence to be a top level fighter unless the competition drops to his level.

The Clementi fight, where he took a tantrum in the ring after losing, demonstrates all you need to know about Guillard's mental toughness and fight IQ. Watching the fight also shows you how little Guillard's ground game has improved in more than five years.

Last edited:
For real, Mini-Randleman is definitely struggling lately.

Has potential to be champion

He certainly has the physical skills required, but the dude just can't get it done consistently.

The problems is that Guillard fans are a lot like Guillard himself. They're delusional and can't see what is in front of them. Guillard does not have and never will have the intelligence to be a top level fighter unless the competition drops to his level.

The Clementi fight, where he took a tantrum in the ring after losing, demonstrates all you need to know about Guillard's mental toughness and fight IQ.

Agreed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back