Melvin Guillard on the hot seat

If Garcia is sticking around after his notoriously bad streak, and Dan Hardy stuck around after four straight losses, then it makes sense that Guillard would stick around. The UFC is losing professionalism and making fights and keeping fighters based on WWF personalities and on the "exciting" flailing of punches; it's no longer about who is the best fighter, it's about entertainment. The organization is making a really unfortunate turn toward sports entertainment instead of sports. It really wouldn't surprise me much if Dana White started fixing fights "because it's what the fans want to see."

The problems is that Guillard fans are a lot like Guillard himself. They're delusional and can't see what is in front of them. Guillard does not have and never will have the intelligence to be a top level fighter unless the competition drops to his level.

The Clementi fight, where he took a tantrum in the ring after losing, demonstrates all you need to know about Guillard's mental toughness and fight IQ. Watching the fight also shows you how little Guillard's ground game has improved in more than five years.

Agreed.

Melvin has the physical tools to be an MMA champion, but at some point you stop being a prospect and start being a guy who never made it. He's almost 30 (middle of his athletic prime) and has 45 professional MMA fights.

There's an "it" that Melvin doesn't have. The "it" to stop training striking and lifting weights so much (things he's good at) and start getting humbled by a bjj master on a regular basis. Stop going out there with a game plan of "I'm gonna knock this guy out" and be willing to work a game plan, fight patiently, and not get frustrated if the fight goes more than 3 minutes.

All that said, Melvin must have naked pictures of Dana's wife, because he's survived several losing streaks, a cocaine bust, and getting cut once to get this far in the UFC.

If Leonard Garcia gets another chance so should Melvin. I personally can't stand Garcia but I find Melvin fun to watch most of the time.

I like Leonard and strongly dislike Melvin, but I essentially agree with your statement.

Melvin really blew it when he left Jacksons.

I was glad to see Varner win since Guillard seemed to think Varner was scared of him.

This crap about him being a champ once day is silly. Who are his best wins? Siver, Stephens and Dunham, I guess? And the Stephens fight was lackluster at best? This is the guy that people keep mentioning "has the potential" to be the champ if the most competitive division in MMA right now?

I like watching the guy fight, don't get me wrong, but his attitude is really immature half the time, and he needs change something. I will say that his jits looked better in the Varner fight than normal, didn't he end up in some kind of weird position at the very end of the fight?

Melvin just needs to go somewhere and train with a Gi for a solid 6 months. Learn some good sub defense. Like go to England and train with Roger Gracie or NYC and train at Marcello's all day.

This would help his game a lot. He probably wouldn't do it though.

Melvin may not have been happy with the attention he was getting at Jackson's.. but he just seemed so much more focused and centered when he Greg was working with him.. even interviews at the time he was with GJ, Melvin seemed far more humble... Since his decision to go over to the Blackzilians, Guillard does not look like the same fighter, and he appears to have reverted... at the end of the day, results in this game are everything, and the fact remains that Melvin was looking like a dangerous contender @ LW around the time he crushed Evan Dunham... Melvin started moonlighting with Rashad, before Lauzon and then made the switch afterwards.. his career has been on a steady downward trajectory ever since... moral of the story... don't fix what ain't broke... He should NEVER have left Jackson's...

He should work on his striking defense first.
He had a low kick based strategy against Varner and it didn't work out since Melvin got tagged over and over.

They'll feed him someone soon just to keep him alive. Melvin should be kept away from guys with BJJ.

Like Varner?
Melvin is obviously good enough to stay in the promotion, but he'll never get close to a title shot.

Melvin may not have been happy with the attention he was getting at Jackson's.. but he just seemed so much more focused and centered when he Greg was working with him.. even interviews at the time he was with GJ, Melvin seemed far more humble... Since his decision to go over to the Blackzilians, Guillard does not look like the same fighter, and he appears to have reverted... at the end of the day, results in this game are everything, and the fact remains that Melvin was looking like a dangerous contender @ LW around the time he crushed Evan Dunham... Melvin started moonlighting with Rashad, before Lauzon and then made the switch afterwards.. his career has been on a steady downward trajectory ever since... moral of the story... don't fix what ain't broke... He should NEVER have left Jackson's...

I agree.

If Garcia is sticking around after his notoriously bad streak, and Dan Hardy stuck around after four straight losses, then it makes sense that Guillard would stick around. The UFC is losing professionalism and making fights and keeping fighters based on WWF personalities and on the "exciting" flailing of punches; it's no longer about who is the best fighter, it's about entertainment. The organization is making a really unfortunate turn toward sports entertainment instead of sports. It really wouldn't surprise me much if Dana White started fixing fights "because it's what the fans want to see."

What I don't understand is why people complain about the UFC losing professionalism with their match making when they've been doing this their entire existence and have only been growing as a result

He won't be cut if he keeps his fights exciting.

You guys saying he has no BJJ is quite stupid, because if you have watched his recent fights against Camoes & against Varner, it would show that his BJJ has gotten better. He even attempted an armbar against Varner.

He's obviously been improving his ground game idk if you some of you know but he had been entering into grappling tournaments on top of that his jitz has looked better in the Varner fight

Back