Melendez has no chance of beating Pettis

HandsomeDevil**

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Seriously, I see Pettis by TKO via bodykick. Melendez cannot and does not check leg kicks. Sure his 'jabbing' is good, but Pettis' legs alone would bring him down.

man.........I just wanna see Aldo Vs Pettis....

Here's IGNs prediction:
6Z3GcR6.png

Last edited:
Can't kick legs in the clinch. If Gil keeps it close, he can rough Pettis up all day long. If he allows Showtime to sit back and pick his shots, Gil's in for a rough night.

Can't kick legs in the clinch. If Gil keeps it close, he can rough Pettis up all day long. If he allows Showtime to sit back and pick his shots, Gil's in for a rough night.

Exactly this.

Melendez is one of the toughest and most suffocating fighters in the division. You're selling him REALLY fucking short.

This is MMA. I cringe every time i read that fighter x has no chance.

Pettis got blanketed by guida, I am sure Melendez can do the same. Whether he actually can pull it off is up in the air.

Pettis also may not take being hit super well. he has taken basically no damage in his fights.

Everyone has a chance. Gil is more well-rounded than Pettis and has an advantage in the clinch plus has a chance to win rounds from top guard even if he can't actually pass so as to begin establishing top control. Moreover, he's really tough mentally and is well-conditioned and he just won't stop unless Pettis either becomes the first guy to finish him (hardly unfeasible), or they go all 5 rounds.
Pettis also may not take being hit super well. he has taken basically no damage in his fights.
He was dropped by Bart Palaszewski and has taken hard shots beyond that, just because you choose not to take hits doesn't mean you can't.

Well said. Closing the distance on Pettis is much easier said than done though. Dude controls the range better than almost anybody in the UFC.

Gil by better wrestling and top control. Won't be surprised if Gil hurt Pettis on the feet aswell. I expect a very competitive fight between the true best lightweights in the world.

Gil by better wrestling and top control.
Top control is not a factor until you have passed the guard, and Gilbert Melendez will not pass Anthony's guard.

Bear in mind that we say "10-9 based on top control I guess" not because the guy on top was actually crushing and flattening his opponent out from side control, mount or back mount, but rather because we have grown so used to shitbag judges who don't understand grappling handing out free 10-9s to whoever laid in one half of a neutral position.

It's more an assumption than a statement of fact: that the judges will mis-score the round to whoever was on top just because he was there, as opposed to the guy who actually won the grappling exchanges (see Pettis-Guida, Guida-Hioki).

Top control is not a factor until you have passed the guard, and Gilbert Melendez will not pass Anthony's guard.
Gil really doesn't have to pass guard to establish his GnP.

as opposed to the guy who actually won the grappling exchanges (see Pettis-Guida, Guida-Hioki).
Showtime didn't outgrapple Guida... Hioki did though.

Will pass and submit Pettis. Just my opinion bro. I see Melendez doing what guida did. Pettis is no joke on the ground, agreed. I think Gil can do some damage once(if) they hit the ground which will help him pass the guard. The thing about Gil is he's fearless man.

Gil really doesn't have to pass guard to establish his GnP.

Agree
Showtime didn't outgrapple Guida... Hioki did though.

The one time the guy on bottom should have been awarded. Guida just layed on Pettis, while Pettis landed elbows and numerous sub attempts.

Back