Melendez has no chance of beating Pettis

Can't kick legs in the clinch. If Gil keeps it close, he can rough Pettis up all day long. If he allows Showtime to sit back and pick his shots, Gil's in for a rough night.

Can't clinch if the guy is using footwork to keep away. Pettis' footwork > Gil's.

its a great match up that could very well go either way. Pettis' body kicks are brutal, and his striking is excellent. Gilbert has great boxing and good wrestling it will be interesting to see. my guess is that Gilbert will do everything he can to keep the distance between him and Pettis small so he can box him up and avoid those brutal body kicks.
i don't think anyone in the LW can simply "walk threw" Pettis' body kicks though.

I'm a Gil fan but this is quite a tough stylistic match-up for him. Pettis is the better striker and we'll have to see if Melendez can get the fight to the floor and what kind of offense both men can put together if it goes there. I'm rooting for Gil but I think it's going to be an uphill battle for him. It will be especially tough if he just sits back the way he did in the Henderson fight. Gil excels when he makes the fight a brawl.

Back